October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At what stage does, wake up in a cold sweat from a nightmare where you arrive at the test location and no one is there, occur? No, not the October test. I’m already having nightmares about April! December can’t come soon enough...  

At what stage does, wake up in a cold sweat from a nightmare where you arrive at the test location and no one is there, occur? No, not the October test. I’m already having nightmares about April! December can’t come soon enough...  
I'm not trolling when I type this: but those nightmares persist for years even after you passed the exam.

So when results are released, does NCEES update everyones dashboard with passed/failed or do they wait until the state releases the results? Or does NCEES update peoples dashboards in batches? And if that's the case, is it based on state?
@Chattaneer

NCEES loads the results to the dashboards first, keeps it hidden, then waits for the States to authorize the relese to the examinee. The States are notified in batches. Why? idk.

What happens after that will vary by state:

Most states will authorize NCEES to release the pass/fail result directly and immediately. You'll learn your fate via and email from NCEES and see it on the NCEES dashboard.

A couple other states mail the results to the examiness first (SD, DC) then authorize NCEES to release to the dashboard.

A few states use a third party service (IL, MA, NJ) to announce the results. This "value added" process adds time to the release. We have the  :pcs:  emoji for a reason. You'll learn you passed from another website. i.e. PCS, CTS, or a state website.

A few states (seems to vary, but recently: GA, FL, TX, MN, NE, MS) have some internal thing that they want to get done before they authorize NCEES to release the results to the dashboard.

The nightmares are for real right now. I've had a couple where I am reviewing my answers only to realize i've bubbled in all 4 answers for multiple questions. Or thinking its okay to get up and leave the exam site in the middle of the afternoon portion and then the proctors don't let me back in when I come back. My subconscious is trying to make me go insane.

So someone's NCEES dashboard could still say "Results Pending" even though they get notification from the state that they passed?
Correct. It has happened before.
@ChebyshevII PE is correct. Depending on the state, some examinees will be notified by other means that the passed or failed before seeing it on the dashboard. However, this certainly won't happen until AFTER the initial release.

Hey, It’s better than having your state telling you that you passed and NCEES telling you that you failed.

Or is that the other way around? @RBHeadge PE
Imagine the jubilation of thinking you passed, only to have it all taken away a few days later! It's happened before.

In Oct 2014 Pennsylvania and CTS royally F$%^&ed up the results release. About 10% of the examinees learned that they passed/failed before on first/second release day. They put a pause on that, then began the usual internal process of issuing licenses before the releasing the results.  But they accidentally started giving licenses to all examinees whether they passed or failed! So a handful of people learned they failed, then got issued a license anyway. PA pulled the errant license a few days later. This is probably the WORST possible outcome!I understand that Nebraska accidentally issued licenses to one or more people who failed about a year ago, then pulled it when the error was discovered. Again, this is a really painful outcome.

The nightmares are for real right now. I've had a couple where I am reviewing my answers only to realize i've bubbled in all 4 answers for multiple questions. Or thinking its okay to get up and leave the exam site in the middle of the afternoon portion and then the proctors don't let me back in when I come back. My subconscious is trying to make me go insane.
Try to distract yourself. Burn off the stress at the gym, go out with friends/family, or waste time in the spam thread

Try to distract yourself. Burn off the stress at the gym, go out with friends/family, or waste time in the spam thread
One thing I’m enjoying while waiting for results is naps on Saturdays.  With a few exceptions I didn’t nap in the previous six months while studying and it was really hard some days.  I’m seriously making up for it over the next 6-8 weeks.

I am currently in self doubt phase. I keep thinking I made calculation errors and chose "obvious" options in the exam.

They should release the results soon and get us out of this misery

I am currently in self doubt phase. I keep thinking I made calculation errors and chose "obvious" options in the exam.
This was me the first post-exam week. Week two has been much better, I absolutely no longer care enough to think about the exam problems. If I'm back at it in 2020, it is what it is!

I rode this phase out from here to notification for the April administration.  I pretended to overcome it on this forum but I was never super confident.  Fortunately, I had a good result so hopefully you'll experience the same.

Self doubt is starting to set in now. I left the test not exactly confident but I didn't feel like crap. According to my coworkers that's a good sign. To pass the time now I've played an ungodly amount of video games. 

Me too. Doing my best to avoid thinking about/remembering any details from the exam problems, because that only leads to more doubt.

I am expecting results to be released on December 4th. Hope I'm right!

I am expecting results to be released on December 4th. Hope I'm right!
Welcome to Futile Exercise C. I've been enjoying it for a few weeks, now.  :D

As much as I'd really love to get results on my wife's birthday, it's fairly unlikely. I'd put my money on the following week, somewhere around the 11th.

Welcome to Futile Exercise C. I've been enjoying it for a few weeks, now.  :D

As much as I'd really love to get results on my wife's birthday, it's fairly unlikely. I'd put my money on the following week, somewhere around the 11th.
Haha! Futile indeed.

Why do you think it is the following week?

Haha! Futile indeed.

Why do you think it is the following week?
The Control Systems cut score meeting.

The PE control systems exam has a new specification for this exam administration. When that happens, the subject matter experts meet in person to determine the cut score and set standards for future exams. This is usually one of the last things that takes place in the exam scoring process. Results typically follow within a week after that. This year, the Thanksgiving holiday is the last week in November. This will, very likely, push the control systems cut score meeting to the first week (or so) in December, which will, in turn, probably push the results to the second week in December.

The PE control systems exam has a new specification for this exam administration. When that happens, the subject matter experts meet in person to determine the cut score and set standards for future exams. This is usually one of the last things that takes place in the exam scoring process. Results typically follow within a week after that. This year, the Thanksgiving holiday is the last week in November. This will, very likely, push the control systems cut score meeting to the first week (or so) in December, which will, in turn, probably push the results to the second week in December.
I see. Thanks for the information!

I guess we will just have to drag another week.😭

Sounds like you're channeling your inner @RBHeadge PE

Back