October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We did pretty good last winter then started training for a century ride (him not me) and studying (me not him) so it took a nose dive. And then I was basically living at his place but my weights were at my place. But now both me and my weights live at his place. And I think on Sunday, he regretted not having movers when he lugged 700+ lbs of weights up a flight of stairs. 
Meh, it's still a workout!

So, ever since we got the property I've been doing all the yard work manually. No machines, at all (only recently I got a lawnmower, I was using a scythe up until then)! I had friends come over for a "natural" workout regimen of digging holes, filling trenches, felling trees with axes and saws, moving/splitting logs. We called it Squaretaper's "paleo" workout. It was, honestly, a billion times better more fun than any gym trip. To each his own, but I lose my mind in a gym. Open invite to any EBers who want to chop trees for fun. Beer is free and unlimited.

Also, 🦞.

Edit: Ooh! Unintended ToP! :bananalama:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wanted to get into lifting, but I want to wait until I get into better 'shape'.  Plus, I don't want to join a cross-fit gym, which might be the only weight-lifters here in Indy unless I start doing crazy research.
I took a break from lifting and did cross-fit for a few months. I had to stop because I just didn't agree with what was being taught. It's never, for any reason, do anything, to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what, no matter where, or who, or who you are with, or where you are going, or where you've been, ever, for any reason whatsoever a good idea to do as many deadlifts or squats as fast as possible. And it's never a good idea to go to failure. There's just too much wrong with cross-fit. They can just cross the f off.

I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women and made it through stage 1. It was annoying & fussy AF - I  kept having to criss cross the gym to do all of the things. So I switched to SL5x5 and I did enjoy it but I wanted a little more accessory work so enter ICF 5x5. And then eventually, I had a running coach for my 1st marathon so we switched it up so my lifting would better support my running goals. And now the trainer I see, writes me a program to support my running & movement goals and works on fixing my imbalances - this is the best thing for me.  Isee him a few times a year for an evaluation and new program so it's great. 
Is your trainer independent or with a company?

Since we're being adults, how about that S&P 500?! I'm glad my IRA index funds are tracking it.

Why am I waiting to get in better shape?  Because I know if I try to overload my body on 'getting in shape' I'll stop cold turkey and then not do anything.  Once I build a good base, I can def see myself trying lifting and not getting frustrated when my diaphragm is dying.

Is your trainer independent or with a company?
he's independent. Works for himself. He's a licensed massage therapist and a licensed trainer (I forget which one tho). he rents space from a local locally owned gym 

I may have to wait till lake Michigan is warm again 
I don't know if any of our lakes get warm - the ones that would have the massage place wouldn't. and i can tell you that the atlantic ocean ain't warm here either

Since we're being adults, how about that S&P 500?! I'm glad my IRA index funds are tracking it.
Ugh, I'm trying to figure out how to change some of my mutual funds into ETFs (does that even make sense)?  Unfortunately for Vanguard you have to call to make that trade and can't just do it yourself and since I'm busy during the day I've forgotten to do it the past week or two after I finally got out of their managed account plan.

I took a break from lifting and did cross-fit for a few months. I had to stop because I just didn't agree with what was being taught. It's never, for any reason, do anything, to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what, no matter where, or who, or who you are with, or where you are going, or where you've been, ever, for any reason whatsoever a good idea to do as many deadlifts or squats as fast as possible. And it's never a good idea to go to failure. There's just too much wrong with cross-fit. They can just cross the f off.
Agree on the not going to failure for squats/deadlifts.  Been there done that too many times.  It only takes one instance where your core isn't as tight as it should be for something to go wrong/overload what shouldn't be overloaded.  

But I do love going to failure when isolating other body parts....that pump tho. 🤤

Ugh, I'm trying to figure out how to change some of my mutual funds into ETFs (does that even make sense)?  Unfortunately for Vanguard you have to call to make that trade and can't just do it yourself and since I'm busy during the day I've forgotten to do it the past week or two after I finally got out of their managed account plan.
Vanguard has some nice funds. Some of the lowest prices around.

I don't know if any of our lakes get warm - the ones that would have the massage place wouldn't. and i can tell you that the atlantic ocean ain't warm here either
We have a solid 2 week warm window here 😎.

But if i really did want a massage overlooking a lake there still better be a glass window in between. 

I've been to 2 crossfit classes; one regular & one community class. It was better than I was expecting but definitely not at all my jam. And I totally agree with you about the GTF thing. Plus kipping. Like I can't get over that. 

Agree on the not going to failure for squats/deadlifts.  Been there done that too many times.  It only takes one instance where your core isn't as tight as it should be for something to go wrong/overload what shouldn't be overloaded.  

But I do love going to failure when isolating other body parts....that pump tho. 🤤
Being swoll is fun.

I like Pavel Tsatsouline's methodology of not going to failure because:

• As get closer to your max reps, your muscles fatigue, and your form degrades
  • If you can do 15 reps of something, but only do 7, you can get more reps in per session, and per week because your recovery time will be less
  • More reps over time = more gainz
I think he calls it greasing the groove.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a solid 2 week warm window here 😎.

But if i really did want a massage overlooking a lake there still better be a glass window in between. 
yeah, same on all accounts lol

Vanguard has some nice funds. Some of the lowest prices around.
I...feel like I don't know what that means and I should!  😥

Right now my funds are split into Vanguard International Stock and Vanguard Stock Market index funds with expenses ratios of 0.11 and 0.04% respectively.  I wanted to see if I could convert some into the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF (expense ratio of 0.03%).  Does that kinda make sense?  But I can't change anything from mutual to ETF.  It has to go from mutual to mutual unless I call.  And I don't know if I'm smart enough to figure this out when I call them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back