Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inverted row?
Yes. But I think the eccentric means we lowered ourselves slowly to the ground. Which was bull. I had a goal to try and get more serious about chinups/pullups this year...but I can never practice them because after class I'm totally pooped. I'm thinking of getting one of those doorjamb setups where I can install and just do a couple hangs/kneel on a chair and do inverted pull ups where I try to hold my body weight?

Last night was more bench press 5 rounds of 5. We did 75% capacity, so my weight was bar + 40lb + 10 lbs (so around 83lbs?). I was the lowest weight in class, again, since it was the two girls who are much stronger than me. I get a little depressed, but I remember when I could barely bench press bar + 20lb consistently, so I know I am getting stronger bit by bit? Just have to keep at it!

We have a new app that the gym uses, where we put in our weights, but...it doesn't distinguish kg or lb and tbh I think I'm going to find a spiral notebook or something and just start writing down the workouts and my volume. I feel like it's quicker/safer for my phone to have a non-crushable item nearby.

Yes. But I think the eccentric means we lowered ourselves slowly to the ground. Which was bull. I had a goal to try and get more serious about chinups/pullups this year...but I can never practice them because after class I'm totally pooped. I'm thinking of getting one of those doorjamb setups where I can install and just do a couple hangs/kneel on a chair and do inverted pull ups where I try to hold my body weight?

Last night was more bench press 5 rounds of 5. We did 75% capacity, so my weight was bar + 40lb + 10 lbs (so around 83lbs?). I was the lowest weight in class, again, since it was the two girls who are much stronger than me. I get a little depressed, but I remember when I could barely bench press bar + 20lb consistently, so I know I am getting stronger bit by bit? Just have to keep at it!

We have a new app that the gym uses, where we put in our weights, but...it doesn't distinguish kg or lb and tbh I think I'm going to find a spiral notebook or something and just start writing down the workouts and my volume. I feel like it's quicker/safer for my phone to have a non-crushable item nearby.

Admittedly, I know nothing about how Crossfit works but in my younger days I was really into the traditional weight training.

I recommend tracking the workout in a notebook of sorts. I was played sports growing up so I had a little bit of weight training experience but never really followed a "routine". Although I saw strength gain (GAAAINZZZ BROOO) I feel like I plateaued very early. In my later years of college I really got into weight training and I kept a notebook(s) for nearly 2.5 years of every single workout. I would work out 4 days a week Monday, Tuesday, Off, Thursday, Friday. I'd have my workout splits for the four days and run the routine for 6-8 weeks in the exact same order. I'd set a goal for each work out to reach 8 reps for the heaviest set on each lift. Once I hit 8 reps, the next week I would attempt to increase the weight (even if it was only a few lbs) and try again. After the 6-8 weeks, I would either completely change the exercises, or keep the same but do them in reverse order. The change would create "muscle confusion" and then force the muscles to adapt and strengthen. If you consistently sit at one weight forever it's much harder to increase. But, keeping track of each and every work out and lift with weights and reps was a great reference to keep to try and achieve goals. At first the changes were slow (1 more rep here, 2.5 lbs there), but there were times I would go in and jump up 10 lbs and that confidence boost alone I think was enough adrenaline to get an extra rep.

TLDR: Try to one up your previous week's work out even if it's just one more rep, or 1 more pound and you'll see real progress.

Signed,
Overweight Father of 1 (#2 coming soon) who would love to get back into shape

Admittedly, I know nothing about how Crossfit works but in my younger days I was really into the traditional weight training.
I don't do crossfit, I'm actually doing a fitness class at a weightlifting gym (so they're doing a little more cardio, but when a guy nearby is doing 180kg lifts you get a bit inspired, and scared).

I def want to start keeping track of things more. I really don't like the app experience, it's weird, so a notebook is prob my best bet so I actually keep doing it.

I recommend tracking the workout in a notebook of sorts. I was played sports growing up so I had a little bit of weight training experience but never really followed a "routine". Although I saw strength gain (GAAAINZZZ BROOO) I feel like I plateaued very early. In my later years of college I really got into weight training and I kept a notebook(s) for nearly 2.5 years of every single workout. I would work out 4 days a week Monday, Tuesday, Off, Thursday, Friday. I'd have my workout splits for the four days and run the routine for 6-8 weeks in the exact same order. I'd set a goal for each work out to reach 8 reps for the heaviest set on each lift. Once I hit 8 reps, the next week I would attempt to increase the weight (even if it was only a few lbs) and try again. After the 6-8 weeks, I would either completely change the exercises, or keep the same but do them in reverse order. The change would create "muscle confusion" and then force the muscles to adapt and strengthen. If you consistently sit at one weight forever it's much harder to increase. But, keeping track of each and every work out and lift with weights and reps was a great reference to keep to try and achieve goals. At first the changes were slow (1 more rep here, 2.5 lbs there), but there were times I would go in and jump up 10 lbs and that confidence boost alone I think was enough adrenaline to get an extra rep.

TLDR: Try to one up your previous week's work out even if it's just one more rep, or 1 more pound and you'll see real progress.

Signed,
Overweight Father of 1 (#2 coming soon) who would love to get back into shape
I do (or used to do since COVID) Crossfit. I keep a Google spreadsheet of all my workouts. I prefer electronic to paper because crossfit workout are so varied that I really need the search function to find specific exercises. Here's a screenshot of part of the spreadsheet. If anyone wants it to use, I'll send a copy.

1610558883514.png

I don't do crossfit, I'm actually doing a fitness class at a weightlifting gym (so they're doing a little more cardio, but when a guy nearby is doing 180kg lifts you get a bit inspired, and scared).

I def want to start keeping track of things more. I really don't like the app experience, it's weird, so a notebook is prob my best bet so I actually keep doing it.
For a while, I maintained an account on bodybuilding.com. They basically had a tracker for everything (body stats, exercise weights etc). I'm sure they still have it but I remember them essentially keeping track of each exercise and showing you statistics like TOTAL TO DATE REPS, TTD WEIGHT Lifted and such. I want to say they might have even had a % increase tracking function. It's been a good 9 years or so since i last had the motivation to do so. I would write in a notebook and then transfer to the website.

I do Crossfit - We made a gym change in October and are learning that our previous gym was more midly into the weighlfting part of XF ( more aerobic capacity stuff) new place is much more into heavier Olympic Lifts (OH Squats, Power Snatch, Clean and Jerks) - As an old guy I have to keep an eye on my shoulders but Ive been having much more fun and would defin rather spend 40 minutes on finding my ORM for Clean and Jerk verus pushing sleds once a week.

Did a fast-ish (to me) 3 miler with the doggos. Ankles kind of flaring up so might take tomorrow off. Supplementing protein with shakes, kind of tricky to get protein without additional fat.
As you know, I do a double scoop of protein shake in the morning as breakfast. It’s kinda of how I make sure I get at least some protein in my body before I start eating like crap.

I feel like calorie counting works mostly to let me know I’m getting close to my daily max, but I feel like it’s under estimating how much I should eat? Like. MFP says I can only have around 1700 calories a day (I try not to add the extra “exercise” calories), but like half the time I feel like I’m starrrrrrving. The trainer at my gym says it’s more about trying to get the right portions than worrying too much about what I’m eating right now, but it’s super difficult some days.

the lady I cohabitate with is also an RD ( not a "nutritionist" that took a weekend class) but fwiw she advises people to use those extra calroies from MFP exercise (if its from exercise and not just adding your resting heart rate)

i have fallen a little off the wagon from this time last year but when I got my calorie needs from the bodyfat water test thing using MFP you could really get dailed in - but I was able to have 2990 calories a day and I was trying to stay a tad under that and I was still always a little hungry through the day

One of the trainers at my gym is really big on establishing you baseline calories through observation.

Her method:
Everyone's body and metabolism is different. Those apps just estimate an average for a person of your gender, age, and weight. The right way to do it is to track your calories and your weight without making any lifestyle changes. Ideally you'd like to observe a constant weight at a specific amount of calories. This is your baseline. After you establish that, then add in exercise and dietary changes and track everything to see how you change. It takes all that info to then be able to make a personalized plan.

I'm no expert, but that approach sounds like it makes sense.

I agree - I do think if you are going to use the app as your sole guide than you need to have an actual weight of your bones/muscle/fat and have a "scientific" method for obtaining your calorie burn per day to make it work - eveyone over assumes there level of fitness activy as well, say they assume they jog 2 miles thats "intense" exercise when its probably moderate at best..

I wish I had done the hydrostatic body weight test before I started but I thought that would jinx me and I wouldnt stick with it

But as crazy as it seems, if you eat less and exercise regularly over a long time that usually works :D

I haven't gone to the gym in 3 weeks+. I had that longish break in December, when I visited family, and then when I returned in January...I did one week, normal, but then I had my covid vaccine that wiped me out (no huge reaction, but I was super bushed the rest of that week), I forgot I had a training that ran past my usual evening class (9:30 am to 6:00pm for a week), and then I randomly decided to start looking to buy a house (so I was frantically working my budget/seeing what I could afford over a week).

So. Yeah. I think my 'start of the year' is really going to be February.

I haven't gone to the gym in 3 weeks+. I had that longish break in December, when I visited family, and then when I returned in January...I did one week, normal, but then I had my covid vaccine that wiped me out (no huge reaction, but I was super bushed the rest of that week), I forgot I had a training that ran past my usual evening class (9:30 am to 6:00pm for a week), and then I randomly decided to start looking to buy a house (so I was frantically working my budget/seeing what I could afford over a week).

So. Yeah. I think my 'start of the year' is really going to be February.
I've been spooked by the spike in COVID cases around here. Last time I went, some guy, although masked, started hacking, so I packed up and left. I will start going regularly once I'm able to get vaccinated.

I've been spooked by the spike in COVID cases around here. Last time I went, some guy, although masked, started hacking, so I packed up and left. I will start going regularly once I'm able to get vaccinated.
Yeah, I have my second shot this Tuesday and I've already seen other people get taken out by it/it is def a strong reaction, so I'm most likely not going this week either.

Just...a little frustrating since I can't pause my gym membership, because they're allowed to be open/other people are going, but I'm spending money on it. *sigh*

I usually alternate days at gym work out at home. I need to wear mask at gym, where I live. My nostrils get irritated if I wear mask too long. Plus still working from home, so working out at home saves time.

This site is mostly body weight exercises, some of them are challenging:
maxcapacitytraining.com

I usually alternate days at gym work out at home. I need to wear mask at gym, where I live. My nostrils get irritated if I wear mask too long. Plus still working from home, so working out at home saves time.

This site is mostly body weight exercises, some of them are challenging:
maxcapacitytraining.com
While not required, I always work out with a mask if I'm at the gym. Most others don't, one or two of the regulars do. Working out at home is out of the question currently. My equipment is all outdoors, and when it isn't raining, the patio is frozen solid.

With the cold weather starting The gym i go to started offering live video classes in December. But from the sound of it, it looks like Feb might be the last month. :-(

Back