Nutrition, Diet, and Elite Fitness: Notes, Goals, and Resources....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenor.gif

Call me in a year ;)

I’ve got 3 cult members signed up this year (I count CSB) so if I get 2 more by Christmas I get some steak knives 

Call me in a year ;)

I’ve got 3 cult members signed up this year (I count CSB) so if I get 2 more by Christmas I get some steak knives 
I honestly lost all the weight by June and have been the same since then, so it's already been 6 months. I'd really love to get back to the gym, but I'm doing just fine here. Just have to water down some of y'all's Kool aid from time to time!

I've been doing home workouts ever since I moved to a real city and found all the local exercise offerings too expensive for my tastes. Gone were my days of a spinning studio, a pilates studio, a yoga studio, and a rowing/trx studio, all a la cart! Haha! But anyway, the home workout thing has worked for me. That, and, NUTRITION. Which is also the first word in the title of this thread!

Even with not bike commuting any more (my cardio has suffered a bit during the pandemic, but I'm still going on weekly runs and longer, 20+ mile bike rides), but I do not believe any extra weight has been gained. However, I also don't own a scale, so I can't count pounds even if I wanted to! I do take progress photos though, and gauge my fitness on how hard my weight lifting workouts go. If I take even a few days off, I can tell the dropoff!

I’ll give ya it takes a lot more dedication to do it at home - it’s just so boring to me- 

I ran and ran in my 30’s and I’d always get some sort of injury along the way- but even signing up for races it just got so old...I’d lose weight while running but not like this. (I also used to smoke a pack a day while I was running marathons) not healthy but it does keep you from snacking ;)  

I’ll give ya it takes a lot more dedication to do it at home - it’s just so boring to me- 

I ran and ran in my 30’s and I’d always get some sort of injury along the way- but even signing up for races it just got so old...I’d lose weight while running but not like this. (I also used to smoke a pack a day while I was running marathons) not healthy but it does keep you from snacking ;)  
That reminds me of a story from the Ten Junk Miles show where the host talks about the whole smoking while marathoning thing and how/where he would have to hide or maneuver to smoke before/after races. 

I personally love running. It’s basically all I need to stay in shape besides a few stability and core routines that can be done with body weight. I love it, never gets boring to me. It’s time to clear my head, listen to audio books, podcasts, etc. mostly keep it extremely aerobic never running very hard at all. And nothing is really required to do it but shoes.

some things hold over from the army days, staying up all night and drinking and then running at 5am. I never stopped to smoke during a marathon, but once I got in the car on the way home I would have one - I was more into running to keep wieight off not necessarily to be healthy.

when i turned 40 if i hit any weekly mileage over 15 it  just sort of equated to knee pain

But todays workout is overhead squats and 5 - 400m sprints, and that is about all I need in terms of running & maybe if anything 4 400M runs would be good too :D

@TrickShotG- Where do you run here? ( I see you are also in CO) - I had a hard time adjusting to the running options when I moved here- When I lived in Atlanta I backed up to a Natioinal Battlefield Park that had really great wooded trails (that also liked to bite your ankles) - but here on the Front Range they seem to concrete all the trails eventually and in the summer there isnt much shade so you either get up and run before the sun is up or die ;)   - but I think that is why so many people bike here

I used to like to run the dry creek trail when it was crush n run surface, but they paved it in concrete. 

@TrickShotG- Where do you run here? ( I see you are also in CO) - I had a hard time adjusting to the running options when I moved here- When I lived in Atlanta I backed up to a Natioinal Battlefield Park that had really great wooded trails (that also liked to bite your ankles) - but here on the Front Range they seem to concrete all the trails eventually and in the summer there isnt much shade so you either get up and run before the sun is up or die ;)   - but I think that is why so many people bike here

I used to like to run the dry creek trail when it was crush n run surface, but they paved it in concrete. 
There are many dirt trails, but a lot of them are single track with a lot of elevation gain. If you like something like dry creek but dirt, the highline canal trail is fantastic, and runs through a decent chunk of the metro.  I live down in castle rock and do many miles on the Ridgeline open space trails. I also like Bluffs regional park, Indian creek campground, mount falcon, and deer creek canyon. 

Ive heard there are some good ones down that way, I am on the north side of Denver and everything close is either paved or your have to get in your car and make a trip towards Boulder.  Boulder County has a lot of dirt trails but they can be very segmented.

It also has that feeling like you arent really getting anywhere since you can see for 50 miles.

But I dont have to mess with that anymore ;)

Damnit, people. We have a running thread. 

I agree with what's being said- I was all about running, but I was always limping around from some random pain. I definitely feel much better when I build some muscle to support the movements. 

And it ain't no lie that taking some time off equals some quick muscle loss. Good gosh I'm sore today and I usually don't have next day DOMS. I'm a second DOMS and my quads are beat today. The WOD was an EMOM alternating 10 Crushers (it's a thruster with a squat clean on the front) and then what was supposed to be 50 DU, but I got out a bike. My lungs are still kind of rough from that hoax flu I got. 

ouch - were those with a barbell or dumbell?

i guess its my fault i brought up a dig on running & then Ble had to jump in with his whole happy home life workout routine BS... :D

I just happened to have  two dudes ( a good bit younger than me)  say "hey you look like your in good shape for an old dude* what do you do"? and then I said I get up at 4 am every day and go engage in constantly varied functional fitness where my only real goal is to do slightly more weight than the other 2 grey hair dudes in the gym and they were like ..

no thanks.png

no thanks, I am going to run in the spring.... ..

Last edited by a moderator:
grats!

but did you do it under the review an expert trainer with an advance degree?

had a workout I thought would be easy, 200 Dubs' 100 sit ups, 100 DB Snatches (50lb rx) 

I went with the Rx and yes that was a mistake, total time 19 something  minutes. next class was coming in as I was finishing up - they were like old sweaty dude, please move to the side while you finish up......

grats!

but did you do it under the review an expert trainer with an advance degree?

I was humbled with some 50 lb DB snatches this morning which seemed like a good idea but was not...

I had to laugh because some of the Jillian Michaels videos they've been showing were stuff we did at the old gym, like squats on a bosu ball, and I never realized how glad I am to NOT do those movement. She does a lot of "balance on whatever and then do a movement" and I'm way happier to just focus on good form. 

Uh, I mean blast through the workout as fast as possible with no thought given to form. #CFLife

Back