No Soup for You

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its true, people should think of others (goes both ways) - but hell its f'n public transportation, not your personal leer jet! Crying kids get on my nerves too. Luckily, my children who flew just recently at ages 3.5 & 5 did great! No meltdowns, no kicking chairs, no multiple runs to the can. But was only 2.5 hr flight too. With a baby or toddler thats upset, chances are, eventually he'll calm down or conk out. Unfortunately, a rotund passenger next to you isn't gonna be dropping any weight or taking up any less room during the entire flight! But like i say, grin & bear it, its just public transportation. otherwise, save up & fly first class & quit yer bitchin or drive if it bugs you so much - just sayin...

its true, people should think of others (goes both ways) - but hell its f'n public transportation, not your personal leer jet! Crying kids get on my nerves too. Luckily, my children who flew just recently at ages 3.5 & 5 did great! No meltdowns, no kicking chairs, no multiple runs to the can. But was only 2.5 hr flight too. With a baby or toddler thats upset, chances are, eventually he'll calm down or conk out. Unfortunately, a rotund passenger next to you isn't gonna be dropping any weight or taking up any less room during the entire flight! But like i say, grin & bear it, its just public transportation. otherwise, save up & fly first class & quit yer bitchin or drive if it bugs you so much - just sayin...
While I agree with you about the overreaction to babies on flights (see my post above), there is one slight difference with obese passengers. An obese passenger affects at most two people on either side of them. A wailing baby on a plane can disturb the entire compartment. But, like I said above, I think these complaints about babies are way over the top, at least fro my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geeze, I agree on the "intolerant people" comments above.

I notice they are all coming from people who don't have kids, or people who have perfect kids.

Just wait until you have kids and then tell me if you believe you should be "grounded" for the next 5-6 years so that your child doesn't annoy the intolerant, childless "adults" seated around you.

And then just wait and see if the genetic roll of the dice throws you a combination that is less than perfect. Remember that engineers are statistically 6 times more likely than non-engineers to have a child with autism.... But of course it's the parents fault if the autistic kid won't keep quiet or keep still.

I'm not sure what people with children are supposed to do according to the intolerant ones. I guess just drive everywhere?
Sounds good to me

<----- Roadwreck, intolerant asshole, and proud of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
since I've had kids, I am desensitized to the sound of other kids crying. I just smile and be glad it's not mine.

Just because you have a right to do something, doesn't make you right in doing it. The airline will sell you a ticket for junior because they like money, but that doesn't make you any less of a douchebag for bringing a screaming kid on a plane and then acting completely flippant about it.
You better pray there's no such thing as karma.
So I'm a douchebag for wanting to take my kid with me and my wife so we can celebrate Christmas with her 83 year old grandmother who might not have many Christmases left? And how do you know that I have a screaming kid? I hope and pray that mini-ble does not cry too much during our flights, but if he does, I'll just do my best to calm him down. The longest leg of our flight is about 2.5 hours, so I'm not too concerned with disrupting peoples beauty rest.

Maybe you should look in the mirror when you call somebody a douchebag.

So I'm a douchebag for wanting to take my kid with me and my wife so we can celebrate Christmas with her 83 year old grandmother who might not have many Christmases left?
yes

since I've had kids, I am desensitized to the sound of other kids crying. I just smile and be glad it's not mine.
+1.

My wife and I flew from Phily to LAX and back with our 1.5 year old. He was pretty good for the most part, but it gives us a great excuse not to have to go anywhere that requires flight. Besides, the wife gets a little agitated whenever she has to be anywhere. (one of the funiest lines I think I have heard her say)

I absolutely hate the sound of a screaming kid going on and on. I hear it in a restaurant or theater, I leave. Actually, I've pretty much quit going out, and that's pretty much the reason: a general "I have the right to do whatever I want" attitude amongst people. And that is by no means limited to crying babies, but it is a pet peeve. Jacka$$es talking loudly on cell phones is another one that chaps my hide.

My parents didn't fly, or take us out with them until we were old enough to behave ourselves and not disturb others.

Call me intolerant, but I try to live my life without disturbing others. All I ask is the same courtesy be extended to me. Apparently that's too much to ask.

Same here...I have 3 kids, 5, 2 and 3 months. I don't even notice other kids screaming anymore, and if I do happen to hear it, I feel bad for the parent because I know they are doing everything they can to try to keep the kid quiet, and they can't help the situation anymore than you can.

I agree I think the people who complain about this don't have kids.... once they do, they'll understand.

Whoever said it is right.. karma IS a bitch... you'll find out once you have kids and have to fly with them for some reason...

"Can't we all just get along??" lol

Call me intolerant, but I try to live my life without disturbing others. All I ask is the same courtesy be extended to me. Apparently that's too much to ask.

Yes it is.

In all seriousness, let's just say sometimes it can't be avoided. One of the times we flew with our son we got stuck on a tarmac for 5 hours. During the times he was fussy (and there were adults that were whining more than he was) we did our best to calm him down. There aren't a lot of parents that are just going to let their kids scream but sometimes they can't be consoled. So I would just say take a pair of headphones with you and a portable DVD player and chill the F out.

The behavior of people in public, and airports in particular, is a large contributor to why I travel the way I do. My son has probably 200 hours in the air but has never set foot on an airliner. When he does go for a ride on a big jet, I don't think he's gonna like it much. The view sucks.

In all seriousness, let's just say sometimes it can't be avoided.
Yes it can. Drive. My parents did it. You can do it, too.

So I was supposed to drive 26 hours to go to a wedding so some douchebag on a plane wouldn't be inconvenienced for 15 minutes while my son was a little fussy when the plane was descending? That's why I love the free market. If the airline didn't want me or my son to fly with them, they wouldn't have sold me the ticket.

Based on individuals and the specific circumstances people need to travel and are going to take their small children with them. There are a number of ways to soothe a crying infant. Sometimes they work, sometimes it takes a while to work. As long as the baby's caregivers are trying to soothe the kid I really don't see a problem. The ones that annoy me are the ones that just look at you with that "oh well, he/she is an infant. They cry." sort of look and just ignore it and hope the child will stop on his own.

Similarly, if a person is that obese to the point of "spilling over" into the adjacnet sets then maybe the airline SHOULD require them to buy 2 seats an put up the armrest.

One of my pet peves is the parents that let their toddlers take over the plane by letting them play in the aisle or go roaming from seat to seat to go see auntie or grandma who sitting 5 rows away from their seat. Similarly in restaurants while the parents are having coffee opr dinner they just let the kids wander around because "well they're just kids I can't expect them to sit still while we talk and have coffee". Those douchebags SHOULD stay home with their unruly kids.

So I was supposed to drive 26 hours to go to a wedding so some douchebag on a plane wouldn't be inconvenienced for 15 minutes while my son was a little fussy when the plane was descending? That's why I love the free market. If the airline didn't want me or my son to fly with them, they wouldn't have sold me the ticket.
That's why I love freedom of speech. I am free to call you a douchebag. :p

^Totally agree with you. Mini-ble is still an infant, but he will be completely under control when he is a toddler and we are out in public, or he won't get to go out in public. I refuse to let my kid rule me. But like you said, as an infant, there is really not much you can do but soothe them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back