NFL 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure many of y'all have already seen this but this had me cracking up

860d5fdf7112e663be720fe3282a65ff.jpg

We've gone from "first world problems" to "first world crisis"

I just read the funniest quote from Belichick "I have never in my professional career talk to a player or coach about football air pressure"

I just read the funniest quote from Belichick "I have never in my professional career talk to a player or coach about football air pressure"
I guess I don't see the humor so much as I see it's likely quite true. I can't see this as being a hot topic for coaches.

Funny like I imagined him saying to himself " this is the dumbest thing I have ever had to say "

It's on the front page of the USA today and I laughed out loud when I read it ..,

No matter who wins, just remember who's name is on the trophy and who he coached/came from. ;)

yeah that's a constant volume process. i don't see how the volume would change much (excessive Gronk spiking!). anyway, scenario 2 (!) which i think is clearly what happened:

Belichick inflated them in a sauna, NFL tested in a meat locker:

P1: 12.5 psi

T1: 100 F

T2: 0 F

P2: 10.3 psi

there is is. there's that 2 psi. Belichick needs to use this to clear his good name.
I think the volume of the air bladder could change quite a bit. Isn't it just made of rubber?

Edit:

But I agree, it just don't look right.

not sure where inflation of a football falls (constant volume, isentropic, etc.) but for the sake of jockying around on a forum i figured constant volume was good enough. my thought was you could inflate that thing to 30 psi, and yeah you'd see some increase in volume, but a relatively negligible amount. especially when you consider we're really only talking about a range of +/- 2 psi.

*nerdy high-five*
did you convert the pressure to abs before running your numbers?

did you convert the pressure to abs before running your numbers?

you don't need to, we're comparing gauge pressure to gauge pressure. it's just a simple ratio for a constant volume process: P2 = P1(T2/T1). you have to use abs temp though (Rankine)

Back