NFL 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont confuse things with facts and data. This is America where perception is everything and emotions rule.

It will be proven that Pete "the cheat" Carroll was really behind this. He had the balls deflated by the ball boy in the bathroom so that Belecheek would have to devote so much time to this...

Disagree. I think they said to the refs "did you check the balls be fore the game?" and they said "yes". Then someone went and determined that the pressure was low. the refs then did not want to admit that they did not specifically check each ball with a pressure gage.

I also appears that there is no official "checklist" for the game balls. I'm sure the refs looked at them for imperfections and squeezed them to see if they had decent pressure and gave their stamp of approval. IMHO, it's what most reasonable folks would do. Of course that's all gonna change now. They should probably change the rule back to what it was before. everybody sues the same game ball...now it's non-issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The National Football League (NFL) pays referees anywhere from $25,000 to $70,000 per season. When you consider that the league plays 16 games and referees are considered part-time employees, you get a better sense of the disparity. But do not feel so bad for them, not only are there only 16 games in the schedule, they also get one-week intervals.

I started to wonder how much I expected out of refs, so I looked up how much they are paid. If they ref all 16 games, that's $1562.50 to $4375 per game. I suppose I could expect them to squeeze some balls for that much. They should probably use a gentle caress and maybe hum against them for that kind of money.

I started to wonder how much I expected out of refs, so I looked up how much they are paid. If they ref all 16 games, that's $1562.50 to $4375 per game. I suppose I could expect them to squeeze some balls for that much. They should probably use a gentle caress and maybe hum against them for that kind of money.

:rotflmao:

"I suppose I could expect them to squeeze some balls for that much. They should probably use a gentle caress and maybe hum against them for that kind of money."

exactly but to expect them to blow each of the balls to a specific calibrated pressure would likely cost more.

I wonder if blown and calibrated balls would need to be stamped by an engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back