NFL 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard they didn't notice until halftime. My question is, is it possible that they had it inflated to the lowest allowed limit at the start of the game and then when the temp dropped 20 degrees in the first half (it got really cold!!) the ball pressure decreased?

Either way I think the media is making way too big a deal out of this because people love to hate the patriots. I agree wil, that the nfl has to be careful how they deal with it.

I wonder what the pressure was in the colts footballs? I also wonder if the refs record what the pressure is when they check the footballs in the locker rooms prior to the game.

PV=nRT right?

Plus...they took those balls out of play at halftime and Then the patriots went on a 3 TD streak in the pouring rain. Shut up haterz. :)

I don't see the big deal in this since each team uses their own balls?

That's the issue. Underinflation is deemed an advantage, which Indy wouldn't have had without also cheating.

I heard they didn't notice until halftime. My question is, is it possible that they had it inflated to the lowest allowed limit at the start of the game and then when the temp dropped 20 degrees in the first half (it got really cold!!) the ball pressure decreased?

Either way I think the media is making way too big a deal out of this because people love to hate the patriots. I agree wil, that the nfl has to be careful how they deal with it.
I think they need to take a hard stance - they were discovered to have violated the rules. It's cheating, whether it is intentional or unintentional, and the Pats are repeat offenders. At a minimum, I think they should take away all of their draft picks. Hell, NASCAR docks drivers and entire teams points or race wins based on rules that aren't even cut and dry.

I think they need to take a hard stance - they were discovered to have violated the rules. It's cheating, whether it is intentional or unintentional, and the Pats are repeat offenders. At a minimum, I think they should take away all of their draft picks. Hell, NASCAR docks drivers and entire teams points or race wins based on rules that aren't even cut and dry.
so stupid question but if it was unintentional, are they supposed to keep pumps and measure before each ball goes into the game and then re-inflate it if it is impacted by the weather?

so stupid question but if it was unintentional, are they supposed to keep pumps and measure before each ball goes into the game and then re-inflate it if it is impacted by the weather?
If need be, yes. That's what ball boys are for. More realistically, the NFL should have pre-game checks and then control/segregate the balls for both teams, so that if there is a reduction in temperature, it equally impacts both teams. The temperature was the same for both teams, and Indy's footballs were fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Did they retest Indy's footballs after the initial before gameplay check?

They have a 2lb range that have to be within, so if the colts were higher to begin with they may have been fine.

^ Did they retest Indy's footballs after the initial before gameplay check?

My understanding was that all of the balls were checked following the NFL being notified that the balls felt underinflated, though I haven't seen anything official.

I don't think there is a less likable team in the NFL right now then the Patriots. They always seem to be mired in some sort of controversy.

I don't like them (See previous Brady comments) but I still don't see this being a huge advantage- if anything its harder to throw a underinflated ball?

let's nerd this out.

NFL rule is between 12.5 and 13.5 psi. take the worst case scenario, they inflated the balls to the minimum 12.5 psi at room temp and then the temp on the field dropped dramatically:

P1: 12.5 psi

T1: 70F

T2: 21F (FYI field temp at gametime was 51F)

P2: 11.3 psi

this is probably flawed logic since i doubt the NFL tested balls right there on the sideline at the end of the game. they probably tested indoors (back at ~70F) so in theory the pressure should be back to the original inflated pressure, which apparently is a couple psi short.

conclusion: belichick is a brilliant, dirty bastard.

I don't think this particular incident had any impact on the outcome of the game, but there always seem to be these sort of things pop up with the patriots. I mean just the week before there was the ineligible receiver nonsense, which wasn't against the rules but somewhat undermines the notion of fair play.

Everyone in Green Bay thanks the Patriots for taking the focus off of another epic collapse where they failed to complete a NFC Championship game, but then come out in the following days and boast how they were/are the better team. They just beat themselves.

scenario 2 which i think is clearly what happened: Belichick inflated them in a sauna, NFL tested in a meat locker:

T1: 100 F

T2: 0 F

P2: 10.3 psi

there is is. there's that 2 psi. Belichick needs to use this to clear his good name.

yeah that's a constant volume process. i don't see how the volume would change much (excessive Gronk spiking!). anyway, scenario 2 (!) which i think is clearly what happened:

Belichick inflated them in a sauna, NFL tested in a meat locker:

T1: 100 F

T2: 0 F

P2: 10.3 psi

there is is. there's that 2 psi. Belichick needs to use this to clear his good name.
I think the volume of the air bladder could change quite a bit. Isn't it just made of rubber?

Edit:

But I agree, it just don't look right.

its like my HS football coach used to say to us "Its always better to cheat than to repeat" <-- True Story

I need a new sport to follow.

Go Bruins!!!

Back