New enviro members

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome and good luck! You should have an excellent background with your education and experience. You probably don't need a prep course, but it can't hurt. Good luck!

Greetings everyone! Awesome site you have!

My environmental PE exam application was just approved by the state board so now it's crunch time! I have a chemical engineering degree but have spent the past 8 years doing mainly mechanical design and systems integration for OEMs specializing in manufacturing water treatment equipment.

I appreciate any advice that you all have to offer to help me pass this beast on the first try and hope to assist other future engineers in the same endeavor.

Best regards,

EX

Read the pinned topics for advice from successful exam-takers of the past ~7 years. You can do it! I did it on the first try, and my original degree was in Mechanical Engineering. You are a little closer with your Chemical Engineering degree. You don't have all that much time, so get started right away.

I did it by working through the combination of PPI Env. Eng. Reference manual and the associated practice problems book. Skip all the math and thermo stuff and get right into the meat of the exam. To make the most of your time, set a schedule. I would recommend splitting the topics into water, air, solid and haz waste, and radiation/health and safety stuff. Of those, the water topics will likely take the most time to work through - you've got to work through hydraulics, drinking water treatment, aqueous chemistry, wastewater treatment, groundwater, and water resources. Maybe give yourself 4 weeks there. The other topics can go faster. Air is pretty fast and well covered by the PPI resources - I think I only spent a week on it (with prior work experience, though). Solid and Haz. waste require other resources, but can be worked through in a couple of weeks. The oddball stuff like radiation, noise, occupational safety & health, can be worked through fairly quickly as well, with the PPI stuff and a few of the recommended references (NIOSH chem. guide, emergency response guidebook, etc.).

Also get the NCEES practice exam and work through the relevant sections as you go, to make sure you have a good feel for what will be required on the actual exam. The practice exams offered by PPI are not bad, either, and the "101 questions" book was also valuable for me. Be sure to schedule a timed practice exam out of one of those toward the end of your study effort - it really helps.

It's a lot of material to cover in the amount of time you have, but it can be done as long as you are well organized and use your time wisely.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ EX--all of what Dleg said, plus don't forget to come to this forum and post specific questions if you get stumped. There is a very diverse group of folks who regularly check in, and at least one of them will most likely be able to help you solve tricky questions!

Thanks Dleg! I've spent the past month reading through the Lindeberg text with the NCEES exam specification as a guide. My focus for the next 2-3 months is going to be doing problems and organizing my references. The last couple weeks will be spent simulating the actual test with practice exams.

Thanks to this forum the references I've compiled:

ENVRM by Lindeberg

Solved Problems by Schneiter

NCEES PE Environmental sample questions and solutions

RCRA/CERCLA Orientation manuals

Air Pollution Control by Cooper/Alley

NIOSH Pocket Guide

Hazardous Waste Management by Lagrega

WW Engineering by Metcalf

Chemistry for Environmental Engineering by Sawyer

Environmental Law Handbook

Environmental Engineering Dictionary by Lee

Basic Environmental Technology by Nathanson

Environmental Engineering by Salvato

Applied Hydrogeology by Fetter

Water and Wastewater Calculations Manual by Lin

Looks like you've got it covered!

Good luck! Keep us informed how you do, and of course, ask any questions along the way. It's been several years now since I passed the exam, but I'm currently re-living it all through a masters program, so maybe I can actually be helpful in here again!

I'm barely getting started and I'm quite overwhelmed looking at the air topics!! I have a Masters in Environmental Engg but my courses were all focused on Water/Wastewater and my work experience in remediation. Never really taken courses in air. What should by main focus be in air? Are psychrometry problems, cooling tower problems etc important?? What should I start with? I would greatly appreciate any pointers/advice.

ALso, do the school of P.E review courses cover the air topics in depth?

Air has two sets of topics, the basic principles and controls. You should spend some time reading about regulations, emissions sources, atmospheric science, that sort of thing. There are 30 air questions. These topics are maybe a third of them and many are likely to be qualitative, so if you have a general understanding of those topics and know where to find them in your references, that will really help. Look into Gaussian plumes too - I didn't actually have any questions on them but I heard they're common.

Controls were very difficult for me. I don't get into air at work at all (I do remediation, stormwater, haz waste, site assessments) so I relied on a local review class and the EnvERM and they were insufficient. I passed the exam so I didn't get to see my diagnostic, but I know this was my worst section. The way the EnvERM covers control devices isn't great. I had a device question that didn't work with the provided equation in the EnvERM but luckily it had come up in my review class so I had the correct equation to use. I don't recall seeing anyone with a good recommendation for a reference on controls...it's a tough topic if you don't work in that area. I'd just review whatever materials you can find.

I did have a psychrometry problem but it wasn't a big focus my studying or on the exam. I guessed on that problem.

This book: lntroduction to Environmental Engineering by Davis and Cornwell has a good chapter on air, plus the sample exam problems.

Air Quality by Godish and Handbook of Air Pollution Control Engineering by Mycock (yeah, seriously) et al. were the ones I used.

The control problems are simple, and I'm not an air guy. You just plug in the variables into the highly empirical equations listed in the EnvRM and you are mostly set.

As for the principles, expect one of those awful downstream dispersion from a stack with that unwieldy equation and charts.

Thanks folks! Just got done with the "AIR controls" chapter in EERM and you're right.. EERM's coverage is way too broad.. Cooper and Alley goes into more depth.. I'm also working out some of the sample problems from Copoer and Alley.. we'll see how it goes! THanks once again for all the advice/suggestions!

I am taking Env PE exam in April. Wanted to buy LaGrega and Environmental Law handbook...

Please let me know if anyone have the books and wanted to sell it.

Thanks

Hey, hi!

I'm planning on taking the PE in April...for the third time =/ But! First for Environmental. I took the Civil and Enviro with Water Resources emphasis the last two exam times and decided since 3 of my coworkers passed the Enviro exam on the first try maybe I should, too...and that closed conduit flow and Transportation were kicking my butt no matter how much I studied that!

Hopefully studying open channel flow, wastewater treatment, water treatment, etc. for the last year practically will help! That, and knowing what doesn't work for my study habits with a husband who's work travel has been ramped up, and two small children (though they get more independent by each exam date!).

Anyway, enough rambling/ranting =) Hopefully I'll find a lot of help here! I've got the EERM from my coworker who passed in October, but nothing else, so on to new referencs and looking through the posts/threads here to see what references are very benefical (I've already ordered the NIOSH pocket guide thanks to this forum, and have the ERG on hand, so woo!).

Oh! I guess maybe a bit of background...double majored in Agriculture and Civil Engineering (BSs), and work for the state in wastewater, storm water, and air quality...permitting and inspecting. Though I'm not very confident in air quality stuff..however, I guess taking the Environmental exam should have been obvious, but I got all the Civil PE exam study material from a friend...who's emphasis in school was transportation and only worked in structures since graduation...she passed first time with the transportation exam and figured it would be easier to "remember/study" stuff I learned in college rather than learn new things like hazardous waste and air quality for the most part...obviously that hasn't worked yet so fingers crossed I'll study well enough to pass the Environmental Exam...

...I'm a bit nervous to "jump ship" and start studying something "new", but I figure what's the worst that can happen...I fail? Again? ;)

Thanks anyone for reading this far...I get kind of long winded at times! I hope to find a lot of help on study materials, since I maybe have some relevant wastewater books at most. So far, I wish I would have looked for a site like this a year ago since I've found lots of helpful info already!

Good luck!

My advice is to really commit yourself. Purchasing your own EERM and textbooks is a potential start - there's something about investing in the effort with your hard-earned money, that makes you feel more committed. Plus, the references come in handy for your real job, years and decades down the road. Trust me, I was a regulator too, and in that job, especially, you have the opportunity to branch out and get real experience in all of the fields of enviro engineering.

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for quite awhile but finally joined! This is my first time applying to take the Environmental PE. I'm located in PA, and I've had my EIT since 2008. I studied Chem E in undegrad and have a Master's in Water Resources and Environmental Engineering. I don't know anyone who is pursuing Environmental so this site has been a godsend for me! I'm looking to get all my materials compiled (so much to purchase!) and finishing up my Amplified Record so I can have everything turned in early to the State Board!

I'll probably be asking LOTS of questions in the months ahead. Thanks in advance for your help and support!

Hi I am an environmental engineer from Atlanta, being in this field since 2005.

I am also a Canadian PE with CHMM, PMP, and LEED, I think US PE should be my last goal.

Nice to see you all here!

Welcome, Indigo!

This subforum is a great resource for the environmental exam...

Good luck in your studies!

eek, a month a way from the April exam. Taking the school of PE class, and am liking it so far. Hard to have enough time for problem solving!

I have been gathering data from these boards; thank you all so much for the info!

I am looking for anyone interested in trading digital flash cards (I have quizlet and deluxe flashcards apps). I made flash cards out of the ERM appendix titles, to get a better feel of locations of appendices.

Cheers

Back