New enviro members

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely recommend EET's WRE review! 
Thanks, I'll give that a shot then.  I thought I had improved my understanding of WRE going into the exam this time around, but apparently not, according to the diagnostic  <_< <_<

Thanks, I'll give that a shot then.  I thought I had improved my understanding of WRE going into the exam this time around, but apparently not, according to the diagnostic  <_< <_<
Feel free to post questions on this site too. Lots of smart(ish) people who can help explain things to you. 

Welcome!  Good luck with the studying.  There's lots of good advice in here. Many of us have passed with self-study only, and we have posted our strategies and schedules in the advice thread pinned at the top.

Hi All, I am new to this forum. I am planning to take the PE Environmental Exam in NC. I am considering taking the  PE Review Course by NCSU @ https://www.ies.ncsu.edu/courses/pe-exam-review/.  Any thoughts on it? Also what books do you all recommend to buy as reference material?

I see NCEES is planning to change the Environment PE to online and they have a manual online. For anyone who has taken the exam before, do you think the manual is enough as a reference for the exam?

Hi All, I am new to this forum. I am planning to take the PE Environmental Exam in NC. I am considering taking the  PE Review Course by NCSU @ https://www.ies.ncsu.edu/courses/pe-exam-review/.  Any thoughts on it? Also what books do you all recommend to buy as reference material?

I see NCEES is planning to change the Environment PE to online and they have a manual online. For anyone who has taken the exam before, do you think the manual is enough as a reference for the exam?
Welcome @WaterPE !  I highly recommend that you check out the "Consolidated Advice" pinned under this topic (the link is below)

...It will give you a lot of insight into the materials and prep that you need for the exam.  Best of luck!

Hello,

I've been around the forum since 2013 (When I took the FE exam) and just took the April 2018 PE exam (Environmental). Thought I'd say my greetings as this thread/forum has helped me gain an insight to what PE exam is like and how much studying I would need. 

I'm bio-environmental science major by trade but pursuing PE license to further my career. :)  I do have a master's degree in Civil Engineering (Highway Design) which helped tremendously when I had to argue employers why I should be hired as an "engineer". 

Took the exam this past weekend to test out the water (didn't really do any studying other than the night before checking out the practice exams) but you know what? I feel semi-confident that I've passed if the cut line is 60 questions out of 80. The exam itself was easy enough that I was able to utilize the reference manual to "learn as I go". I doubt I would've had enough time if it was 100 question instead of 80 but 4 hours per 40 question felt pretty adequate. 

Currently working at an environmental consulting firm doing air and hope to apply for my PE license in a month or so :D  

Good luck, samiam9005. Interesting that you felt the new exam was pretty easy.  It will be good to hear from other folks, as well. 

Good luck, samiam9005. Interesting that you felt the new exam was pretty easy.  It will be good to hear from other folks, as well. 
Thanks! 

I think difficulty really would depend on who you ask. 

A girl who sat in front of me also took the environmental exam and she thought it was tough. But then she had 0 years of experience and had just earned her PhD in environmental engineering. 

I personally found it easy enough to look up the reference manual, learn the concept, look for a similar practice question with same topic and just solve the question from there. I mean there are only so many ways to word a + b = c. Just be able to find how to solve the question whichever variable you're given. Oh and Unit conversion was the trickiest part since if you weren't careful, you'd not get the exact value among answer choice and you'll start questioning your calculation.

I'm not saying I was able to solve every single question but I think I should've gotten over 60 (out of 80) correct. 

Maybe it was an easy exam... who knows.. I've only taken one exam so far (and hopefully the last) but the questions were similar to those from the practice exam.

Hello,

I've been around the forum since 2013 (When I took the FE exam) and just took the April 2018 PE exam (Environmental). Thought I'd say my greetings as this thread/forum has helped me gain an insight to what PE exam is like and how much studying I would need. 

I'm bio-environmental science major by trade but pursuing PE license to further my career. :)  I do have a master's degree in Civil Engineering (Highway Design) which helped tremendously when I had to argue employers why I should be hired as an "engineer". 

Took the exam this past weekend to test out the water (didn't really do any studying other than the night before checking out the practice exams) but you know what? I feel semi-confident that I've passed if the cut line is 60 questions out of 80. The exam itself was easy enough that I was able to utilize the reference manual to "learn as I go". I doubt I would've had enough time if it was 100 question instead of 80 but 4 hours per 40 question felt pretty adequate. 

Currently working at an environmental consulting firm doing air and hope to apply for my PE license in a month or so :D  
I just retook the exam after failing it October. 100 questions vs 80 questions was LIFE CHANGING. I felt so much less stressed during the whole exam (probably because I was better prepared this time too). Like you mention in a later thread, unit conversations were a real pain in the ass.. I feel like more so than last exam. 

What were your thoughts on the air section? 

Hello!  

Long time lurker of the forums, but first time posting.  I've taken (and failed) the PE twice for Civil/construction-depth, and I finally figured I should attempt the PE in the field I am actually working in.  I'm hoping a combo of SoPE and starting early, I'm hitting everything hard starting this week/post-vacation, will put me in good shape to pass this time (!!!).

I'm sure I'll be lurking a bit more in here and responding to some posts if they're interesting!

So did Samiam ever pass after only one night of studying?  I know there's a decent amount of cross-discipline test taking but still it's pretty fascinating that a bio-science major with a master's in Civil Engineering is taking the Environmental PE exam...and someone who just got their Ph.D in Env. Eng. thought the test was difficult?  They've been studying this stuff for 8 years.  Weird.  

So did Samiam ever pass after only one night of studying?  I know there's a decent amount of cross-discipline test taking but still it's pretty fascinating that a bio-science major with a master's in Civil Engineering is taking the Environmental PE exam...and someone who just got their Ph.D in Env. Eng. thought the test was difficult?  They've been studying this stuff for 8 years.  Weird.  
I would guess not. Otherwise he would have been back to brag. But i could be wrong. 

An Env. Eng PhD though the exam was tough?  That makes me feel a little better lol.  Did they end up passing?

Passing the exam might be not necessary for everybody 'right here right now', but the study for it worth for everyone to go through.

Back