Mythbusters: Airplane on a Conveyor Belt

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're correct VT ^^^^^^^^^

and NONE of them will answer the question in the process. Gotta love politicians.

^ That's why its so hard to pick a candidate. They really don't say a whole lot. They never tell you how they will accomplish their big promises. It's just the same buzz words over and over...

Tax breaks for the middle class, health care reform, tighter borders, ending the dependence on foreign oil, etc.

You don't need to be an engineer to know what's gonna happen, just common sense. Supossedly even a lot of longtime pilots think their planes will just sit there. So these pilots don't have common sense?

This will be a great Mythbusters episode.

You don't need to be an engineer to know what's gonna happen, just common sense. Supossedly even a lot of longtime pilots think their planes will just sit there. So these pilots don't have common sense?

This will be a great Mythbusters episode.

By your own definition, no. They don't have common sense.

But, I hope their prepared when their plane takes off on that conveyor.

^^You mean, like this guy?

otto.jpg

The only way the plane will take off is if they put the conveyor on a catapult. Which they probably will do some variation of.

A plane flies because it has wings, and air flows over the wings giving it lift. If the conveyor keeps the plane from moving forward, there will be no apparent wind over the wing, other than the prop wash. this is not enough to give it lift. Of course, if you put a butt load of engines on each wing, or set the whole thing up in a wind tunnel, it just might take off. But that is not the initial assertion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way the plane will take off is if they put the conveyor on a catapult. Which they probably will do some variation of.
A plane flies because it has wings, and air flows over the wings giving it lift. If the conveyor keeps the plane from moving forward, there will be no apparent wind over the wing, other than the prop wash. this is not enough to give it lift. Of course, if you put a butt load of engines on each wing, or set the whole thing up in a wind tunnel, it just might take off. But that is not the initial assertion.
oh Cement, you are kidding right? ^^^

I know you're kidding.

Just promise that after the show tonight this thread will be closed and send to oblivion( I always wanted to use that word.....)

Just promise that after the show tonight this thread will be closed and send to oblivion( I always wanted to use that word.....)
This episode is on next week isn't it? I don't want to miss anything important!

THE DAY OF RECONING IS UPON THE NON-BELIEVERS!!!!!!!!!!

PRAY TO WHAT EVER ENGINEERING DISCIPLINE YOU WORSHIP; FOR YOUR MOMENT IS AT HAND!!!!!

WHEELS WILL SPIN AND MYSTERIOUS FORCES WILL FORCE SOLID OBJECTS INTO THE AIR!!!!

Wednesday nights we get together with another couple for dinner. You have me the civil, my wife the biomed, and my friend the mech. We have been debating this for a couple weeks now. We usually finish up around 9 but hopefully they stick around tonight. I'm sure his wife the social worker will just love watching us geek out over this.

DV is going to say :banhim: but I have to stir this up some more.

It will be interesting to see how they state the myth, because as Desert Water eloquintly stated, they won't be able to keep the plane on the treadmill. Unless it is a really long one the plane will just run off the end before it can get sufficient ground speed to take off.

DV is going to say :banhim: but I have to stir this up some more.
It will be interesting to see how they state the myth, because as Desert Water eloquintly stated, they won't be able to keep the plane on the treadmill. Unless it is a really long one the plane will just run off the end before it can get sufficient ground speed to take off.
I have the solution.

use a twin engine plane.

put it in a rotating table.

only power up one engine.

does that fly???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back