Mythbusters: Airplane on a Conveyor Belt

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well he did the design, & sanding, painting, etc. I think thats about all you can ask an 8 year old to do.

I was just happy that he beat this kid whose parents send their car off to have made, they had won the last 4 years, his parents looked serioulsy pissed off when he didnt win overall. Of course it looked bad me being the cubmaster and all, but there was no cheating, I even forgot to file the axles..

Last edited by a moderator:
by the way, my kid got 1st place in the pinewood derby this year! It was an ugly ass car, but I put all the weights above the rear axle and man that thing flew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Awesome !!! :multiplespotting: :multiplespotting:

Way, way back in the day when I was a cub scout my dad did the same thing (placing weights behind rear axle) using fishing line weights. Even drew on them to make them look like passengers in the car!

It came in first too. ;)

JR

Sorry, I don't think we ever calculated the rolling resistance or axle friction of our pinewood derby cars. It's cub scouts who do that anyway, not boy scouts. All I ever did was make mine as heavy as I was allowed to make it and covered every inch of the axles and wheels with powdered graphite. What great fun, and a huge mess. :)
Cub Scouts... Boy Scouts. At least I didn't say Girl Scouts! And I always that WEBELO was a strange name (we blow?) - how are they related to the Scouts?

So the powdered graphite was to reduce the axle friction - what kind of improvements did you see? It seems this is a great experiment to teach young children about data collection and analysis.

No no no. I just watched it on You Tube. If the conveyor belt has moving faster the plane would have no forward movement. No forward movement would equal no lift. The plane would sit there. Myth not busted.

No no no. I just watched it on You Tube. If the conveyor belt has moving faster the plane would have no forward movement. No forward movement would equal no lift. The plane would sit there. Myth not busted.

You are obviously someone who didnt see the **** show where they explained (with pretty animations) why the conveyor belt has no effect on the plane no matter what the speed is. The conveyor could be going backwards at the speed of light and the plane would still take off.

Are you sure your an engineer???

Not another one!!!

the plane moves forward because the force from the engine is applied to the AIR not the GROUND!

we neede a boiler plate state ment to shoot at the people who refuse to understand!

We need to close this thread. Here we go again. :smileyballs:

The darn thing flew....end of the story....like it or not

You are obviously someone who didnt see the **** show where they explained (with pretty animations) why the conveyor belt has no effect on the plane no matter what the speed is. The conveyor could be going backwards at the speed of light and the plane would still take off.
Are you sure your an engineer???
I don't think your tongue is in cheek, so I won't be as gentle as I might otherwise be.

If you think the conveyor belt has NO EFFECT on the plane no matter what the speed is, I suggest you refrain from questioning the credentials of others because you have forgotten some very basic pre-engineering coursework that most high schoolers already know.

Are you fishing?

I don't think your tongue is in cheek, so I won't be as gentle as I might otherwise be.
If you think the conveyor belt has NO EFFECT on the plane no matter what the speed is, I suggest you refrain from questioning the credentials of others because you have forgotten some very basic pre-engineering coursework that most high schoolers already know.

Are you fishing?

Gotta be trolling.
Guys. That is not necessary. Take it easy. We are better than that

I think this guy is onto something. I bet the whole thing was staged, just like the moon landing. It's a government conspiracy to cover up their secret flaying saucer program....

May be onto something there RW...

BIO, I'm not being mean, I think he was kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back