Mythbusters: Airplane on a Conveyor Belt

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took off normally, but then this happened in mid-air!

Airplane_DVD.jpg

I'm so pissed that I missed this! I had it on my calendar too. I still have absolutely no idea how it works. I need to see a re-run.

Thrust + Drag + Lift + Gravity = Flight

The treadmill has only to do with ground speed, planes, inorder to fly are dependent on air speed over the wings. The thrust is provided by a prop, fan, or jet, not through the wheels, so the treadmill does not even factor into the reference frame.

I'm so pissed that I missed this! I had it on my calendar too. I still have absolutely no idea how it works. I need to see a re-run.
Don't worry, if there is one thing that the discovery channel can do it's re-run episodes of it's highly rated shows over and over and over and over and over....

...then just for good measure they will throw in an all day mythbusters/dirty jobs/deadliest catch/etc. marathon! And for some reason I can't help but watch? Go figure. :dunno:

Mistery solved. The darn thing flies so now...please....Send this fudging thread to the abyss. :smileyballs:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think the way planes take off on aircraft carriers would also be a good comparison? I dont think they use the wheels to take off from the carriers either?
Except when Chuck Norris takes off from an aircraft carrier, he doesn't get launched by the steam catapult; he actually pushes the aircraft carrier backwards.

I don't believe it...it was BAOG! I saw his hand lift the plane ever so slightly off the treadmill (that may have been the wine last night talking)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another way to look at it. Think about a plane in the arctic that has skis instead of wheels. That's about as frictionless as you can get.
You think the sliding resistance of skids on arctic snow is less than the rolling resistance and axle friction of airplane wheels?

From my perspective, the only interesting things about this has STILL not been addressed. What is the quantitative retarding force of the conveyor (rolling resistance and axle friction)? As the conveyor increases in speed, what happens to this retarding force (i.e. is it linear?) At what rotational speed will the heat generated by the friction seize the axle? Can an airplane take of if the wheels axle is seized?

Nope... I'm not happy with the myth simply being busted.

You think the sliding resistance of skids on arctic snow is less than the rolling resistance and axle friction of airplane wheels?
From my perspective, the only interesting things about this has STILL not been addressed. What is the quantitative retarding force of the conveyor (rolling resistance and axle friction)? As the conveyor increases in speed, what happens to this retarding force (i.e. is it linear?) At what rotational speed will the heat generated by the friction seize the axle? Can an airplane take of if the wheels axle is seized?

Nope... I'm not happy with the myth simply being busted.
Did everyone forget to draw their free body diagrams, and then do the calculations?

Did everyone forget to draw their free body diagrams, and then do the calculations?
How is a FBD going to help calculate rolling resistance and axle friction? I thought about asking some Boy Scouts (them pine car derbys are hard!) but would feel a little embarrassed.

How is a FBD going to help calculate rolling resistance and axle friction? I thought about asking some Boy Scouts (them pine car derbys are hard!) but would feel a little embarrassed.
Sorry, I don't think we ever calculated the rolling resistance or axle friction of our pinewood derby cars. It's cub scouts who do that anyway, not boy scouts. All I ever did was make mine as heavy as I was allowed to make it and covered every inch of the axles and wheels with powdered graphite. What great fun, and a huge mess. :)

by the way, my kid got 1st place in the pinewood derby this year! It was an ugly ass car, but I put all the weights above the rear axle and man that thing flew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

by the way, my kid got 1st place in the pinewood derby this year! It was an ugly ass car, but I put all the weights above the rear axle and man that thing flew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
:huh:

So who made the car? You or your son? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back