Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
db5bb9850c3e0b00f8dd015014bb8a2e.jpg
everyone of them, but some only once...others several times a year

Just finished watching "Yesterday".  Really liked it and it was a pretty original concept as opposed to another reboot/sequel.  Struggling musician gets conked and comes too in a world where The Beatles never happened.  There's a bit of rom-com in there, but it's mostly about the music and one 'holy $shit, what if' moment that I won't give away.

"The Silence" on Netflix - super shitty take on "A Quiet Place".  The daughter goes deaf for no reason other than to set up the plot point that the family knows sign language, a "reverend" has a cult with half a dozen or so followers who cut their tongues out and attempt to kidnap a girl to "repopulate" maybe two days after these bat-like creatures show up, and the ending is so abrupt and laughably bad, even my 12 year old daughter thought it sucked.

Saw "The Adams Family" and "Maleficent: Mistress of Evil" over the past 2 weekends. Both were fairly similar: they start off with excellent, interesting characters, and then do basically nothing with them. Maleficent was the biggest disappointment in that respect. The first 15 minutes were really entertaining, all because of the title character and her interactions with people, social situations, etc. Then the writers just pushed her aside for 45 minutes of terribly written plot development (basically not including Maleficent at all) and expensive looking effects. Hollywood is going down the tubes. I guess all the writing talent has fled to the streaming services? Or the big Holloywood studios suppress the writing? I don't know, but just such a colossal waste of money and talent.

Saw the new "F&F: Hobbs & Shaw" movie was out on digital so I cued that up this weekend.  Pretty much exactly what you would expect from a "Fast & Furious" movie...bunch of ridiculous action and absolutely zero chance of an Oscar nomination.

my younger kids (18 and 16) went to go see Joker, they said it was pretty distributing, the 16 year old had to sneak in, he admitted to me that he wished he had not worked so hard to see this movie..

my younger kids (18 and 16) went to go see Joker, they said it was pretty distributing, the 16 year old had to sneak in, he admitted to me that he wished he had not worked so hard to see this movie..
Apparently Joker is now the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time, which really surprises me in 2019 where I feel like nobody goes to the movies anymore and just waits to stream everything.

Thought I already posted here?? Oops, apparently I didn't.

I thought it was really well done (Joaquin Phoenix does a great job playing the Joker), but it was incredibly uncomfortable to watch. You're basically watching someone descend into violent insanity. You see the certain, specific things that happen to him that cause him to become "the Joker". You watch a society that in very strong ways, both intentionally and unintentionally encourage this transformation. None of it made me feel any good.

I would probably only recommend seeing it out of either morbid curiosity or to scratch the itch of needing to see all the comic/superhero movies (though the Joker is by no means a superhero).

Apparently Joker is now the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time, which really surprises me in 2019 where I feel like nobody goes to the movies anymore and just waits to stream everything.
I'll definitely watch it but I'm one of the ones who will wait for it to come out on digital.

I've heard it's one of those movies that people either love or hate.  From what I hear, the ones who hate it go in thinking it's going to be like a Batman movie.

Thought I already posted here?? Oops, apparently I didn't.

I thought it was really well done (Joaquin Phoenix does a great job playing the Joker), but it was incredibly uncomfortable to watch. You're basically watching someone descend into violent insanity. You see the certain, specific things that happen to him that cause him to become "the Joker". You watch a society that in very strong ways, both intentionally and unintentionally encourage this transformation. None of it made me feel any good.

I would probably only recommend seeing it out of either morbid curiosity or to scratch the itch of needing to see all the comic/superhero movies (though the Joker is by no means a superhero).
Yeah I don't think I would like that. I do go to movies with an expectation that they will make me feel something, but not to feel bad or horrified. 

Yeah I will pass as well....

I saw they are remaking Midway- I hope they keep the strategy aspect of the battles over just shock and awe planes and bombs.

I made my teenagers watch the original and they were actually impressed with the movie.

I watched "In the Tall Grass" last night.  It started out scary, and I was ready for a serious spook, but then it rapidly went downhill into a weird pseudo-jump scare etc.?  I think this movie would have been more effective if it just kept the 'supernatural'/weird religion out of it and kept it more as a 'guy finds rock that makes him go crazy, grass field is a warped time continuum'.  Like, they shouldn't have tried to explain it at all if they made it so half-assed.

^- thats on my list! it looked funny when it came out in the theatres

Anyone go see the Terminator today? I was going to try and take a long lunch and see it but "work" got in the way...

Got to see a sneak preview of Ford v Ferrari...Pretty good but Disney-fied, and it just focuses on the 1966 Le Mans race, not a lot of details about Carroll Shelby whose life story would make an awesome movie...

watched secret life of pets 2.  Funny but all over with 3 different plots going on that didn't really connect to each other

Had to be up at 3am to get the wife to the airport on Sunday and I was home by 5am.  Guess what...there isn't a whole lot of good stuff on at 5am on a Sunday.  Ended up watching "Angel has Fallen".  Super predictable, I had the bad guys picked out as soon as they showed up, but at least they didn't try and make it a surprise and had them both outed about midway through the movie.  Decent action flick, basically a different version of the first two movies.

No one's seen Midway? Terminator? Ford vs. Ferrari?  Harriet?  

Those are all movies I want to see, but have been frustrated by no one else in my family wanting to see them with me.

Back