Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched "Unbreakable" and "Split" this weekend.  I'd seen bits and pieces of "Unbreakable" on TV, but this is the first time I watched the whole thing.  Watched it and "split" because I saw the 3rd one was out on digital now.

How many times have they remade that movie? I’ve always liked it so will catch jt when it’s streaming somewhere...

I heard a rumor they were making “the long walk” into a movie- which was a great book but maybe they have had to many kid movies (hunger games / maze runner : etc)
When I'm out on a long run, I think of The Long Walk. 

We watched The Martian last night, courtesy of the local library (i.e. my tax dollars).

large_large_AjbENYG3b8lhYSkdrWwlhVLRPKR.jpg

First off, this is yet another movie that is based off a book I had the pleasure of reading first.  The book itself is f'ing awesome.  Great wit and sarcasm throughout even the worst of situations.  My kind of humor.  If you can, please read the book first and you won't be disappointed.  Also, by the way, the main character is a mechanical engineer.

Since this is a movie based on the book, I was curious (again) about how botched the story would be.  On the whole, the movie did an excellent job recreating the book.  There were a few stupid and somewhat irrelevant changes (sol 6 vs sol 18 and a rover crane *wtf?*) that didn't dramatically detract from the story, but should have been untouched / unmodified to make the story of overcoming challenges better.  Meh, it's a 368 page book squozen into a 2 hr 21 minute movie.  Whatcha gonna do?  I wasn't expecting much from the adaptation, but was pleasantly surprised throughout the movie that it was looking like a winner to me... until 15 of the last 20 minutes.  Whoever had the bright idea to have Lewis take over for what Beck was tasked to do should be punched in the teeth.  There was no reason to change the ending especially since the rest of the movie was so damn close to the book.  The movie also tacked on a little bit after the book ends, but I'm not disappointed by it.  My hopes were dashed by the one stupid change of Lewis and Beck.  Much dumb.  Such disappoint.

Book - 4 stars.  Easy read with great humor.  Read before you watch the movie if you can.

Movie - 3 stars.  Can't forgive the stupid change to what should have been an epic, butt-clenching ending.

I enjoyed that movie more than I thought I would but it’s defin one of those I don’t ever plan to see again

Saw bits and pieces of Venom before giving up and changing the channel.  What a steaming pile of shit of a movie.  

We recently viewed Ready Player One.  Let me preface this review by stating that I first read the book.

268x0w.png

Holy MF sh*t.  This movie is a steaming pile of "movie based on the book".  Aside from names of characters (at least those who are in the book), there is very little that ties the book and movie together.  There are countless story f-ups just to f it up - Parzival & Art3mis and Wade & Samantha don't meet like that, why change the first key challenge like that?, where the hell are the gates after getting each key?, who the f is I-r0k?, Daito... (read the book), and the list can go on.  The movie is just bad and Steven Spielberg should feel bad for butchering such a great book except that, you know, he got gobs of money from this thing so he won't feel bad.  I got the book for Christmas and I'm not a super fast reader, but I finished it a couple of weeks ago and I HIGHLY suggest you read the book if you already saw the movie.  Wish I could unsee the movie.  One haptic star.

9780307887443.jpg

The book is great.  Right up my alley being 80's, fantasy, sci-fi, arcade games, etc...  I remember playing Joust, Adventure, Pac-Man, and the like when I was younger.  The details and visuals in my head were much better than Spielberg laid out in the movie and the twists and turns not in the movie tie the whole story together so much better.  Read it if your interests are similar to mine.  4.5 haptic stars.
Read the book a couple weeks ago.  Basically the book and movie are two different stories with a few shared elements. I enjoyed each in their own telling of the story but can appreciate the fact that the movie was only vaguely close to the book. They each had a bunch of various nostalgia references, just different ones.

Book: 4/5, Movie 3.5/5

Also was one of the $1.2b opening weekend movie-goers to see Avengers: Endgame. Really liked the movie and loved all the various references to previous movies and the comics.  Really did a good job tying the whole story together. I did have a couple issues though (without giving away spoilers), that Captain America's ending was a bit cheesy. Felt cheap and like a last-second addition. I also thought this didn't really do much to setup the next phase of the MCU. This was supposed to serve as an end to the "Infinity" phase and kick-off the next era of the franchise, but the kickoff was almost non-existent.

Looking back on Endgame, I have a feeling it will turn into another Transformers movie in that it was really good the first time but each viewing will reveal more plot holes and it will get worse the more you watch it.

I'll give it a 4.25/5

Not a huge marvel fan but taking the 16 year old to see endgame at 9:30 tonight-I was gonna wait at least anther week but he wanted to go since he worked all weekend and all his friends already saw it- so GOT EP 3 in about 20 min and then this endgame movie- ...

Hate to say it but I give it (endgame) 2 out of 5 mehs... only part that I cared for was fat thor and the other similar humor in the film.

But I kind of like what they did to the Captain- I think that was long overdue...

I quite liked Avengers Endgame. I thought it ended the storylines of certain characters quite well, and appreciated the back story it provided. Also, I thought the twist about what they ended up having to do was pretty unexpected and quality. I did even she'd a few tears, I think when a certain Avenger made his exit.

Then I watched GoT Episode 3 less than two hours later, and I could barely handle that after Endgame! Too much of an emotional rollercoaster.

Finally got to see End Game last night. I thought it was overall very enjoyable, if a little too long. A lot more humor than I expected, and pretty high quality humor at that.

NOT A SPOILER (unless you haven't watched Infinity Wars)

You know, the thing that bothers me most about Thanos's evil plan is just how utterly useless it is.  Let's say you really do eliminate half the Earth's population.  We go from 7.7 billion to 3.8 billion.  All that really does is put us back in 1972. Was 1972 particularly peaceful, or particularly a good year for the environment?  Not at all!  Plus, in 47 years the population would be right back where it is today.

Stupid plan.

NOT A SPOILER (unless you haven't watched Infinity Wars)

You know, the thing that bothers me most about Thanos's evil plan is just how utterly useless it is.  Let's say you really do eliminate half the Earth's population.  We go from 7.7 billion to 3.8 billion.  All that really does is put us back in 1972. Was 1972 particularly peaceful, or particularly a good year for the environment?  Not at all!  Plus, in 47 years the population would be right back where it is today.

Stupid plan.
We didn't go back to all facets of 1972.  Only the equivalent *human* population of 1972. We still have all the tech and knowledge of 2018. And it wasn't only humans. He eliminated half of all living creatures.

To be fair, Thanos' main objective was not eliminating half of Earth's population for the sake of Earth, but rather the half of the entire universe for the Universe's sake. Some planets probably needed it more than others. Think of his example of using Gamora's home planet, where they were scraping for food but after his manual culling has seen nothing but "blue skies and full bellies. It's a paradise."

In some cases, culling half the population actually made things worse. Imagine the effect of endangered species or sparsely populated areas. Elimination of half would ultimately result in their extinction simply due to too few numbers to perpetuate the species.

Last edited by a moderator:
How could getting rid of half of all living things solve hunger?  There's half the people, but also half the food....

And earth is a juvenile planet so lots of them older planets probably have run away irresponsible population growth- especially the ones with blue people....

Well in those cases, the population would recover even faster. So what's the point?  Thanos basically bought one generation of reprieve, if that. 

I didn't say it was a good plan, and he's the only one who really subscribes to it.

There is some truth to the culling effect being a useful means for maintaining a healthy population. A prime example is a herd of wild horses here in NZ. They have a good habitat, plenty of food and genuinely thrive. So much so that their numbers swell quickly and puts a huge strain on the local grasslands. It also makes them more prone to diseases. So the local government will remove a portion of the population every few years (most are captured and sold to ranches as work horses).

Thanos took that concept and extrapolated it to the universe...

Back