Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three movies on the plane today (so far). Thank God for noise cancelling headphones.

1. They Shall Not Grow Old.  Or something along those lines.  Peter Jackson's WWI documentary. Pretty good. Almost required watching, focused exclusively on the war from the point of view of the British soldier, told in their own words through original interview recordings and beautifully colorized film. WWII may have created the Greatest Generation, but these guys were tough as nails. 

2. Bad Times at the El Dorado. Meh.

3. Arctic. Slow to get going,  but a thoroughly compelling survival tale, that almost had me crying on the plane... highly recommended.

So i had the poor fortune to see End Game again- the daughter and wife went and I tagged along. Have to say I liked it slightly more this time, but I think only because I was able to zone out the story line and just enjoy the humor of Fat Thor and Ant Man. They really made the movie.

But one thing I noticed that I didn't this last time, is Loki now alive again? since he picked up the square thing and vanished?

But one thing I noticed that I didn't this last time, is Loki now alive again? since he picked up the square thing and vanished?
It's speculated that he will somehow get tied into one of the streaming show series that Disney will be putting out as part of the post-infinity phase.

1. They Shall Not Grow Old.  Or something along those lines.  Peter Jackson's WWI documentary. Pretty good. Almost required watching, focused exclusively on the war from the point of view of the British soldier, told in their own words through original interview recordings and beautifully colorized film. WWII may have created the Greatest Generation, but these guys were tough as nails. 
There's a lot of strong WW1 and WW2 sentiment here in NZ. I went to the national museum a couple weeks ago that had an exhibit dedicated to the Gallipoli campaign in WW1. The exhibit was produced by Weta Workshop, the same production studio that Peter Jackson used for the LOTR and Hobbit series. Absolutely stunning display and its unique to US-based war memorials/exhibits because they lost Gallipoli.

https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/visit/exhibitions/gallipoli-scale-our-war

We watched "The Dawn Wall" last night, its similar to Free Solo, but IMO a little better story. Similar rock climbing movie about a guy with 9 fingers climbing the steep section of El Capitan - I totally recommend it - great teamwork & determination story. Its on Netflix.

Also not sure where you go #2 when living on a rock face for a week plus days?

We watched "The Dawn Wall" last night, its similar to Free Solo, but IMO a little better story. Similar rock climbing movie about a guy with 9 fingers climbing the steep section of El Capitan - I totally recommend it - great teamwork & determination story. Its on Netflix.

Also not sure where you go #2 when living on a rock face for a week plus days?
https://www.climbing.com/news/news-brief-quinn-brett-seriously-injured-in-100-foot-el-cap-fall/

I know this girl's brother.  Terrible accident leaving her paralyzed.

Watched "Captain Marvel" and "Endgame" over the weekend...thank you China. :eyebrows:

I thought they were both good, but then I'm one of those people who watch movies for entertainment and not to overanalyze things to death.

Although, along the lines of the Loki thing, were they trying to say that going back in time wouldn't change what had happened, i.e. they couldn't just go back and kill Thanos when he was a baby? If that's the case, does it matter if Loki got the cube?

I don't understand the risk.  This girl is no amateur.  Goes to support the theory that you're always flirting with disaster and living on the edge.

Her resiliency is amazing as she's adapted to her fate and is still very vibrant about life in general. 

I watched the guy fall in Free Solo a few times, and was physically uncomfortable watching him go through with the whole thing with no harness on later on.  The fact that his brain can operate that way with no fear is mind blowing.

Although, along the lines of the Loki thing, were they trying to say that going back in time wouldn't change what had happened, i.e. they couldn't just go back and kill Thanos when he was a baby? If that's the case, does it matter if Loki got the cube?
The short answer is that you cannot change the past.  If you go back in time and do something, it creates a separate timeline.

The time-travel rules for Endgame are different than BttF and Butterfly Effect.

Two more movies on the plane (did a lot more reading this time):

4. Vice: the Dick Cheney biopic starring an amazing fat and convincing Christian bale; shittier than I expected. The "creative" moments just got in the way and were distracting more than they were helpful to telling the story. Also seemed a bit too preachy and definitely had an obvious, in your face political objective that I was not at all surprised by, but seemed really in-your-face when they could have just stuck to the basic facts and probably better achieved their objective.  The core human aspects of the story were neglected aside from the relationship between Cheney and his daughter, which was the emotional and principal highlight of the film, especially the last act.  Overall, I would not recommend.

5. Bohemian Rhapsody: A welcome break after Vice. I don't know all that much of the true story of Queen, but I loved the depiction of the band as a bunch of hard core nerds (astrophysicist, dentist, electrical engineer) and decent family folk, and the "family" relationship between all of them. The guy who played Freddy Mercury was very convincing.  Overall, I would recommend, but only if you don't have anything you're not more interested in, and only if you're ready for another more or less standard rock band story.

And then one at the theater this weekend:

6. Detective Pikachu:  A moderately strange, muddled mess of a movie. I honestly did not understand parts of what happened at the end. I mean I understood the end of the movie, but not what was happening (or why) with the main villain and his evil plan.  As many of the professional reviewers have said, there was SO much potential with the weirdness and Ryan Reynolds and everything.... but they were probably limited by the Pokemon people and had to stick with it's world structure too much and not allowed to fully explore the absurdities which could have made for a thoroughly entertaining film.... but ultimately did not.  I do not recommend, unless you are a Pokemon fan, or you live with one, in which case it's probably the most tolerable of the Pokemon movies I have seen. Which is not saying much, at all.

China has been on their game lately...watched "Shazaam" the other day.  Wasn't expecting much but it was better than I thought it would be.  Was a bit confusing though, it comes across like they wanted to make it a kids' funny superhero type movie, but then it's got monsters biting people's heads off.

^- yeah I was surprised by that movie, a little cheesy but I enjoyed it, it had a little bit of the "BIG" movie feel to it (Tom Hanks) also

Back