Most Popular Music Artist by State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my head, rap and R&B are two separate things. 

Rap is more based on the rhythm/rhyming of the words, so if there was no instrumentation/music behind it, you could still hear a 'full sound'.  There doesn't need to be a hard structure to rap since it is based on the speech of the rapper (I've heard multiple rappers riff of the same 'theme' and they all approach it differently, I especially like it when they make random 'noises' with their mouth, not beat boxing, but something similar, as a space filler to get back to a certain point in the rhythm/rhyme). 

R&B is something that I feel is a more 'complete' version of what a music piece is usually defined as.  It usually has a theme/story of some type.  Has a set chorus/verse/bridge/verse/chorus structure and majority of the time has instrumentation in the background.

Do I enjoy listening to them both?  Yes.  Which one do I enjoy more screaming while having a good time?  Rap.  Preferred music genre: opera.

I think everyone's taste is different, which allows so many different types of music/interpretation of what is considered 'good'. 

Also, just on the subject of non-vocal vs. vocal, what about nonsense words?  One of my favorite pieces of music doesn't involve any 'real' words and I think it's pretty legit:

So of the top 5 songs in the genre, with the top songs being the ones that currently define the genre, I'd only classify 1 as actual music. We don't just get to redefine the term "music" to fit what these artists are creating. It's an insult to musicians to call what they're doing music. So if you find me saying all that isn't music, you might want to take a step back and understand what makes music actually music. I can't just sit here and fart then call it music.

Maybe there are just too many trash "musicians" in the scene nowadays that are tainting the genre.
So (1) I feel like your definition of music is far too narrow. You seem to want to define music around melody, harmony, and rhythm. That a definition of music, but it is definitely not the definition of music. It's very limited and leaves a lot of stuff out that I'd argue is obviously music. Do you consider instrumental drums music? There's no harmony and very little melody. Do you consider the didgeridoo music? That doesn't seem to fit that definition. What about an single vocal soloist with no instrumental accompaniment? I'd argue that a definition is built around melody, harmony, and rhythm focuses on the European musical traditions and ignores the contributions of other cultures. I was just googling some different definitions and I really like Merriam-Websters "the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity". That's a much more inclusive definition.

(2) I agree with you on many of your points on those song. In general I don't enjoy much of American popular music in any genres. But just because something isn't good music doesn't mean that it isn't music.

So (1) I feel like your definition of music is far too narrow. You seem to want to define music around melody, harmony, and rhythm. That a definition of music, but it is definitely not the definition of music. It's very limited and leaves a lot of stuff out that I'd argue is obviously music. Do you consider instrumental drums music? There's no harmony and very little melody. Do you consider the didgeridoo music? That doesn't seem to fit that definition. What about an single vocal soloist with no instrumental accompaniment? I'd argue that a definition is built around melody, harmony, and rhythm focuses on the European musical traditions and ignores the contributions of other cultures. I was just googling some different definitions and I really like Merriam-Websters "the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity". That's a much more inclusive definition.

(2) I agree with you on many of your points on those song. In general I don't enjoy much of American popular music in any genres. But just because something isn't good music doesn't mean that it isn't music.
I feel like you're making assumptions about my definition of music and then making more assumptions about what I consider music, and then telling me I'm wrong about the assumptions you made for me.

A single vocalist is music. Though it may not have all three of the musical parts you described, it still has melody and rhythm (rhythm being the defined duration and spacing of the notes). Though the didgeridoo may be a drone, it is still producing a defined notes and the tongue is used to filter the tone for a melody even though it is only a single note, and a rhythm is also commonly applied by varying the spacing and duration of notes (I have a didgeridoo, not too good at it, but can drone on it).

So let's go back to what I said:

Let me be clear, I don't doubt it takes talent to come up with their lyrics and to spit them out as quick as they do, but it's not music.
I still hate Hip Hop/Rap. I still think Rap isn't music. Singing by itself is music. Rap by itself is not music. Just take a glance again at the top songs we covered compared to the definition you pick to believe (which is silly in the first place, because there is no "my truth" when it comes to music):

the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity
The rapping over top of the background is literally disjointed (lacking a coherent sequence or connection). That goes against unity and continuity. There was no art or science used to copy and paste the piano and guitar riffs over and over again. Those top rap songs go against even your own definition you chose to believe.

I feel like that fact that people have to make a case for rap being a style of music speaks for itself. You don't see anyone having to defend Rock, Blues, Country, Bluegrass, Latin, Metal, R&B, World, etc. as being music, because they're obviously all genres of music.

Hip Hop just generally annoys me, but there's shouldn't be any quarrel over what I chose to dislike.

I am now convinced more than ever that rap isn't music.

The rapping over top of the background is literally disjointed (lacking a coherent sequence or connection). That goes against unity and continuity. There was no art or science used to copy and paste the piano and guitar riffs over and over again. Those top rap songs go against even your own definition you chose to believe.

I am now convinced more than ever that rap isn't music.
Try some Mac Miller. 

ROCKSTAR - DaBaby: Acoustic guitar riff throughout the song. Not a bad riff, but it's literally repeated THE ENTIRE TIME. THE SAME FOUR BARS. Vocals are disjointed from the musical portion of the song. Very predominant electronic beat throughout the song, that to me gets old very quickly. I would not categorize this as music.
I mean, an acoustic riff repeating for 3 minutes straight IS music, it's just repetitive/unimaginative (bad?) music.

I disagree that it doesn't have coherent sequence/connection, but I actually think the above definition of music (from Jean?) is too broad because "sounds in succession, combination, or temporal relationship to produce a composition with unity" would also include things like straight poetry / prose. 

A simple sentence, plotted out, can fit that definition. A sentence is sounds (words) in a specific order/combination to produce a composition (a sentence/a point in a novel/article).

So I'm not a fan of going to extremes to make a point. But since I've made the point about the variety within the genre of hip-hop and people are looking for something more melodic, these couple song came to mind. I'm sure there are better examples out there if anyone felt like searching.
If I ever make a band (which I actually very well might), I'm going to force everyone to wear vintage varsity jackets. They look sick.  

I feel like you're making assumptions about my definition of music and then making more assumptions about what I consider music, and then telling me I'm wrong about the assumptions you made for me.
I concede that I am making an assumption about your definition of music based on my interpretations of your arguments. (Since you didn't present a specific definition.) I'm curious to hear how your would define it.

Every single statement above is patently false. I don't even know where to begin.

I feel like that fact that people have to make a case for rap being a style of music speaks for itself. You don't see anyone having to defend Rock, Blues, Country, Bluegrass, Latin, Metal, R&B, World, etc. as being music, because they're obviously all genres of music.
To be frank, this statement demonstrates a lack of knowledge about music history. Nearly every emerging style of music was accused of not being music when it was new. This includes jazz, rock, ragtime, hip-hop, etc. Even Johann Sebastian Bach's compositions, which are considered genius today, weren't accepted in his lifetime. 

... but I actually think the above definition of music (from Jean?) is too broad because "sounds in succession, combination, or temporal relationship to produce a composition with unity" would also include things like straight poetry / prose. 

A simple sentence, plotted out, can fit that definition. A sentence is sounds (words) in a specific order/combination to produce a composition (a sentence/a point in a novel/article).
Sure Merriam-Webster usually does strive for very concise definitions. Here's a more in-depth definition that I like.

Music is an art form, and cultural activity, whose medium is sound. General definitions of music include common elements such as pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics (loudness and softness), and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture (which are sometimes termed the "color" of a musical sound). Different styles or types of music may emphasize, de-emphasize or omit some of these elements.

so how do you two feel about Meat Loaf?

Last edited by a moderator:
O
M
G

I can't believe I didn't think of Bone when I was trying to think of examples of melodic rap. Man they were ahead of their time.

I shared the version that include the written lyrics because they can be difficult to understand.

I concede that I am making an assumption about your definition of music based on my interpretations of your arguments. (Since you didn't present a specific definition.) I'm curious to hear how your would define it.

Every single statement above is patently false. I don't even know where to begin.

To be frank, this statement demonstrates a lack of knowledge about music history. Nearly every emerging style of music was accused of not being music when it was new. This includes jazz, rock, ragtime, hip-hop, etc. Even Johann Sebastian Bach's compositions, which are considered genius today, weren't accepted in his lifetime. 
Wrong. My statements are correct, and it sounds like you have no opinions of your own since you obviously have to keep googling different definitions of music since you can't form your own. We're just going to have to agree to disagree at this point because there's no changing our minds. Also, your statement on Bach is incorrect. His compositions weren't accepted? That's a stupid statement. His compositions were "accepted," he just wasn't seen as a genius or prominent composer mainly because he was poor and lacked a high social status like many other composers of his time. That doesn't mean that people didn't like his works during his time, though.

But did you guys see where Lin-Manuel Miranda talks about how he used the evolution of rap to highlight how Hamilton was a new-thinker? 

What instruments do you play? 
Piano lessons growing up, self taught myself guitar since my dad had a couple sitting around. Sang in an a capella group(/beatboxed a little) in college.

I'd really love to pick up the mandolin (I really admire Chris Thile, of Nickel Creek/Punch Brothers) and cello someday. Or maybe drums, if I ever live somewhere where banging on a set won't bother 100 nearby families. 

Piano lessons growing up, self taught myself guitar since my dad had a couple sitting around. Sang in an a capella group(/beatboxed a little) in college.

I'd really love to pick up the mandolin (I really admire Chris Thile, of Nickel Creek/Punch Brothers) and cello someday. Or maybe drums, if I ever live somewhere where banging on a set won't bother 100 nearby families. 
I want to start playing trumpet again. I played for a solid 6 years and then on and off for another couple. But that was like 20 years ago. 

I want to start playing trumpet again. I played for a solid 6 years and then on and off for another couple. But that was like 20 years ago. 
Get your son started on music-making early too. Good for the brain cells, or something. Reminds me, I'd love to try blowing into a clarinet sometime to see if I remember anything from band days.  Every time I hear one in a song, it makes me want to play.

Back