Maryland Exam Information

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever heard of a State Board overturning an NCEES decision? It is my understanding that it has never happened when it came towards giving a liscence when someone failed an exam. But I don't know if its happened for other reasons?
For the Oct 2013 Exam, Maryland State Board asked NCEES to grade the exams of examinees who were dismissed due to have pencil markings in references if the pencil markings were found to be benign. I believe it was to see if the affected examinees was able to still meet the cut score.. even though they did not finish the exam. I doubt State Board will do that this time...

Has anyone had any luck of getting an answer different than "its on page 27 of the agreement you signed" ?

Anyone thinking of trying arbitration?
No - that's the reply that I received from NCEES. I doubt that I'm going to pursue arbitration... just hope that State Board allows me to retake in October and study again. 

At Cal Expo in Sacramento.

I didn't really know what a Fitbit was until all these threads though. I don't even remember them saying anything about digital watches. I've always had an analogue one so I may not have given second thought to the digital watch announcement but I think that analogue/digital was in the rule book. I just had a friend show me her Fitbit so I guess it could count as a digital watch with grounds for disqualification. 
Only place digital watches are banned are the Computer Based Test (which prohibits all watches).  Pencil and Paper tests only bans smartwatches, calculator watches, and fitness trackers.

Fitbits really confuse me.  I've had one for a while, but sometimes it registers exercise when I haven't even been away from my computer.  The other night, in fact, I was working on my master degree and after I was finished, my fitbit registered over 10,000 steps, yet I hadn't left the computer screen for 3 hours!  

I guess maybe the same thing has happened to the guys at NCEES before, and they just don't trust the things.  I can see how that might happen.

Fitbits really confuse me.  I've had one for a while, but sometimes it registers exercise when I haven't even been away from my computer.  The other night, in fact, I was working on my master degree and after I was finished, my fitbit registered over 10,000 steps, yet I hadn't left the computer screen for 3 hours!  

I guess maybe the same thing has happened to the guys at NCEES before, and they just don't trust the things.  I can see how that might happen.
 fittbit does has some form of communication, granted it's bluetooth and the range sucks but still able to communicate to external devices..hence that's all the paranoid about it! 

Guys, one day you're going to look back on this incident with fondness, as you're handing down your Fitbit to your grandchildren.  I can see it now:

Son, this Fitbit was on your Daddy's wrist when he was kicked out of the PE exam in Maryland. He was captured and put in a NCEES prison camp. He knew if the NCEES goons ever saw the Fitbit that it'd be confiscated; taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this Fitbit was your birthright. He'd be damned if any nerds were gonna put their greasy testmaking hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this Fitbit up his ass. And then he died of dysentery, he gave me the Fitbit. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of plastic up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the Fitbit to you.

If you guys would also like a private area of the forum to discuss here I can hook u up...

Took the Chem PE April 2016. They said specifically no fitbits before the test started. Sorry you were kicked out for it...

I haven't read everything in this thread, but I wasn't sure if anyone else noticed the elephant in the room:  What about all of those steps that haven't been tracked since the exam? How are these test-takers supposed to function in normal society without knowing how many steps they took? Their friends will leave them because they cannot compare step counts. Did NCEES not take this into consideration when they took the fitbits?

In Vermont, they have been very diligent with making sure that before the exam begins, everyone has turned in anything that may cause an issue.  I am glad for it.  With the volume and change of new electronic devices coming into our lives, how is a test proctor supposed to keep up with it?

Back