Marathon runners

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pbrme,

Have you run marathons before? Half marathons?

Most training programs I've seen are 16 weeks long, so for an October event you are on the borderline of being able to squeeze that in. Most of those training programs assume that you already have a decent running base built up and you are doing 15-20 miles per week before you even start the marathon training program. Depending on your overall fitness level you may be able to jump right in with no problem but if you are experiencing lingering problems after running a 5k, running a marathon might not be the best idea. You can certainly give the training a try and see how it goes before signing up.
^Thought I'd at least practice with the wife to show support and to get in better shape, but doubt I'll actually run the race. (See, a seed of doubt has been planted) The longest I've ever ran in my life was 15 miles for fun one day, at no realized pace. The longest race I've done are 5k's and those have always been 9-10 m/mi. I just don't like distance running, but sprinting is fun (I.E. kickball, or chasing down our chickens) and I would rather bike or rock climb for exercise.

Hmmm... I think you might be on to something with the shoes. I never had this problem until I switched shoes on the last race. I had my previous pair fitted at a place called Runner's Sole, and every race in them thru the last (St. Pat's 5K) I was fine. Then we went to Seattle for a Fiesta Ole' 5K on May 5th, picked up a pair of light weight (almost barefoot) Brooks at the Rack for 40 bones. After that race, my IT band or something hurt going down stairs or any decline. I had this same injury on a hiking trip on Mt. Rainier and needed PT. But it sounds like it's probably the shoes. Will have to run in the old pair to compare. Hmmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
If your running style isn't conducive for a minimalist shoe then you probably would see problems switching to those, especially if the first time you wore them was a race, where you would be pushing yourself. I've read that their are a number of perceived benefits to running in minimalist shoes but all of them rely on the runner either adapting to that running style or already having it to begin with. If you have a "heel strike" running form then minimalist shoes aren't for you, or at the very least you need to ease into them until you develop a running stride where you land on the ball of your foot first.

I encourage you to run the training runs with your wife. That would be great for supporting her and benefit you in the process. Of course listen to what your body is telling you and don't continue to push yourself if you experience pain. Who knows, maybe you'll go through the training with her and end up running the race too. Does she have a training plan? Is she training with other people? I know it was a big help for me while training to have someone to run with. It makes you accountable (you can't just blow off the run) and it makes those long training runs a lot more enjoyable if there is someone there (suffering) with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a "Ka-clump, Ka-clump.... braaaainsss" style runner, so this makes sense. Next run will be in my old'ns.

She is on a training plan, off a marathon site. So far she's been doing pretty good with it, only missing a couple days. I've just started joining her in the training and only go on the shorter runs with her so far since this weird pain showed up at the Fiesta 5k. She doesn't have a partner other than me, so I bike with her on the longer runs. Holy cow, riding 6mph on a road bike suh-ucks! but I do it for her. She had meniscus surgery last July (skiing fall 2011), and is in the recoup phase. She's made it a goal to run the distance this year, or make an effort, limited only by the residual pain she still experiences. I'm pretty proud of her, and will be there to cheer her on at the least.

Wow, that's great that she just decided to do this on her own. I only ran my first one because the friends I run with coaxed me into it. I'm pretty sure I never would have opted to do it without some peer pressure. It also helped that four other people I run with regularly signed up for the same race, so I had plenty of training partners. That really helps on those 20+ mile training runs. Doing that alone suh-ucks a lot worse then riding a road bike at 6mph. ;)

Even with the shoes, cross-training really helps...You'll get much better at running sooner with a lot fewer aches and pains if you cross train.

I hear you there. Need to get the quads back in shape. I use to not have to worry about this, as we were avid roadbikers, ski/board 'ers but after her tumble last year in Jan. we both went sedentary. I should've kept up my routine, but that look of sadness in her eyes everytime a group would go out... so I hung it up to help her cope. After her surgery last year in July, she was on crutches for a couple months. We switched gyms to one that was closer, but without a climbing wall, and a better lap pool. Around Dec. she could start xtraing lightly, and got the clear to ease back into training in Jan. this year. She set a goal for the marathon in Oct. and has been doing a pretty dang good job keeping up with training schedule. She still has some random soreness, or complaints post workout, but from what some sports injured friends say, this could last for a couple yrs. As for me, we both started of strong in Jan., I just fell off the wagon around the same time home projects started to take priority. This was also the second season I missed on the snow. :(

Starting to get back into a routine tho, need home projects fairy to make a visit.

Back