Marathon runners

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBeebe

Reaction score
So as I try to be patient waiting for April 2011 PE exam results (first attempt, civil-structural), I wondered if any other fellow engineers have become addicted to running? I have just started training for my second marathon; completed the full 26.2 last Oct 3rd, then completed a half marathon 27 days later. The experience was unforgetable, and seems to have become my one and only hobby (not that I am complaining).

I've taken up running to get in shape and lose weight. I mostly run on a very low impact treadmill, but I've made a few runs on the street. I've thought about going for a 5k or 10k, but every time I hit the streets, the impact is really rough on my lower back. If I can shed 30 or 40 pounds, maybe it will get better. I sure hope so.

I'd like to run a half this year, but taking a condensed summer MBA class screws over a good chunk of my free time. I trained for one a couple years back and was getting to 10-11 miles comfortably...then ended up needing two foot surgeries for my troubles. I'm great at getting injured.

I did the OC half marathon earlier this month as my first one and surprisingly enjoyed it despite my previous grumblings. The course was fantastic, if you ever get a chance, I'd highly recommend a trip out there to do it. We ran around newport beach and along all the super expensive neighborhoods that are proof why the Orange County is the most expensive in the country.

I kind of did things backwards, as the full marathon was the first race I have run in my entire life. I was in football in high school, and never got into track, but I have run on treadmills regularly since college (I am almost 31 now). Before 2009, the longest I ever ran at one time was 5 miles; now that's almost like a warmup! My times were decent, 4:06 for the full and 1:47 for the half. The half went very smooth, but the full gave me quad cramps at 21 miles, which I never had in training. I hit the 20 mile mark at 2:58, so I was on pace for 3:53, but the cramps added 13 min to that over the last 5.2 miles. Going to follow the 100 day marathon plan by Marius Bakken this year. The program should do a much better job of pushing my anaerobic threshold higher. The popular training programs seem to have little variation in pace, with most of the miles being slow and easy, which seems to create slow runners. I am pumped to be doing interval work as a part of my training program.

I ran my first full marathon last month in 3:54. It was a ver hot day, which I believe seriously hindered my time. So I figured I'd give it another go this fall.

Wow! Those both sound like fantastic times for 1st marathons.

Would be nice to qualify for Boston someday, but I need a 3:10 for that! That's 7:14 miles, which is between my current 5k and 10k race pace. Can't imagine that being my marathon pace! 3:45 is my goal for the Twin Cities marathon this fall.

^ I watch the Boston marathon from around Mile 6 each year since I've lived in the area. It's amazing to see the elite runners when they go by, they are just flat out fast. The disabled runners are also pretty inspirational.

If you qualify, and I still live here, stop by for a complimentary pasta dinner at the VTE Haus.

Thanks for the invite - the elites amaze me too; nothing like running 4:50 miles x 26.2! I MIGHT be able to grind out ONE mile in just under 6 minutes if I am having an incredible day.

thats a really good time rw.

Ive run 4 - all hovering around 4 hours, my last I did the minimal training and I hit 5 hours...

I want to do another one, but kid baseball & softball eat up a tremendous amount of free time (yes thats an excuse)

every time I finshed one I said I would never do another one, and then about 3 months later the idea creeps back into my head

Thanks RG. I know it's a good time, it's just not what I was hoping for. I did all my training over the winter months, and most of my long training runs before the sun came up. This meant I was training in a lot of 30-50 degree weather. The day of the race started in the low 50's, but quickly warmed to 80. That doesn't sound that hot but I felt like I was melting on the course.

I know I'll do another one, but right now the thought of training just hurts. It really is a time consuming hobby. It was hard enough to get training runs in without having kids (sometimes its tough to explain why you can't stay late at the office today b/c you have to get a 10 mile run in before the sun sets).

The first thing I thought after I crossed the finish line in 4:06 was "I can't WAIT to do this again next year!" Then, 27 days later, I ran the half marathon, and I felt the same exact way. I knew at that point I was hooked! Living in Western WI, I do most of my winter training indoors on the treadmill and do cross training and more intense weight lifting to mix it up. I will run outside in the winter if the temperature is above about 20 degrees F with little to no wind, and the roads are clear enough of snow and ice that I feel like I won't slip and fall. The thing I like about running fall races in this area (especially the marathon) is I am training during the hottest months of the year, so when I get to the actual race, the cooler temperatures and lower humidity are very refreshing.

I can relate to the "I can't stay late because I have to run long tonight". Most weekly runs aren't bad, but I get a few weeknight runs that take me 1 1/2 to 2 hours to complete.

I just did a half in 1:36. Working towards my first full this fall. Just got back from a run in the hotness today and not sure I want to train with long runs all summer.

I just did a half in 1:36. Working towards my first full this fall. Just got back from a run in the hotness today and not sure I want to train with long runs all summer.
That is a fantastic half time, congrats! Based on that time, I would guess you are targeting 3:25 to 3:30 for a full?

I have wanted to find a marathon that was either on a stretch of A1A or somewhere (East Coast) where the entire 26.2 mile run is along the coast.

My neighbor runs a marathon every 2 months, he is in super good shape, he is very dedicated to his running routine.

His son was on the same baseball team as my son last spring. He never attended a single game, never helped him learn to throw, hit, did extra batting practice,etc. The park we play at has a lot of over zelous folks who believe that on the first day, God invented baseball (very serious) you get my drift...

anyways his son quit about 2/3 of the way through, you could tell he was about to cry every time he struck out, or when he couldnt throw from LF to SS.. it just always sort of pissed me off that I would see his Dad go for his normal run routine day in day out and couldnt take an hour or so every couple days to help his son learn how to swing a bat...

I have wanted to find a marathon that was either on a stretch of A1A or somewhere (East Coast) where the entire 26.2 mile run is along the coast.

My neighbor runs a marathon every 2 months, he is in super good shape, he is very dedicated to his running routine.

His son was on the same baseball team as my son last spring. He never attended a single game, never helped him learn to throw, hit, did extra batting practice,etc. The park we play at has a lot of over zelous folks who believe that on the first day, God invented baseball (very serious) you get my drift...

anyways his son quit about 2/3 of the way through, you could tell he was about to cry every time he struck out, or when he couldnt throw from LF to SS.. it just always sort of pissed me off that I would see his Dad go for his normal run routine day in day out and couldnt take an hour or so every couple days to help his son learn how to swing a bat...
That is sad!

^Depends on how devoted to running you are. I like to jog now and again, but for my wife it's a way of life. Nearly every morning regardless of the weather, she's out there. For some people, it means a lot.

That is sad!
I agree. My 6 year old daughter just started soccer a couple weeks ago, and I adjusted my running schedule to make it to all of her practices. They grow up so fast, if you ignore them like that, they will be walking up to get their HS diploma before you know it.

Back