Marathon runners

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting to ramp up my miles in preparation for an October 7th full marathon. Probably do a half marathon the last weekend in August as well. Then probably another half marathon on October 27th.

I feel lucky to live in Portland OR, there are a ton of events, from my favorite http://www.hoodtocoast.com/ to multiple 1/2 marathons.

I think at some point I will get off my ass (have a 10 month old) and run a full marathon. Not too easy right now with my signifigant other trying to finish her BA in Nursing.

Thanks for reminding me what I have been putting off.

^^^That looks pretty cool. I really like Portland too. I've been twice for a couple of conferences, and I can't wait to go back on vacation even if I have run a 1/2.

I think that the Rock n Roll in Denver would be fun too, but I'm worried about the 5000' elevation difference between here and there.

My wife is doing the Portland marathon in Oct.. She's trying to get me to also, but I haven't put as much time into training as she has. Every time I get past 1.5 miles my left knee IT band area starts to get sore. Ran a 5k in Seattle the first week of May, and had a hitch in my gidee-up after.

pbrme,

Have you run marathons before? Half marathons?

Most training programs I've seen are 16 weeks long, so for an October event you are on the borderline of being able to squeeze that in. Most of those training programs assume that you already have a decent running base built up and you are doing 15-20 miles per week before you even start the marathon training program. Depending on your overall fitness level you may be able to jump right in with no problem but if you are experiencing lingering problems after running a 5k, running a marathon might not be the best idea. You can certainly give the training a try and see how it goes before signing up.

My wife is doing the Portland marathon in Oct.. She's trying to get me to also, but I haven't put as much time into training as she has. Every time I get past 1.5 miles my left knee IT band area starts to get sore. Ran a 5k in Seattle the first week of May, and had a hitch in my gidee-up after.
^^^try some strength training for your quads, that helps knees
Get fitted for shoes. Wearing shoes that don't complement your running form can lead to these sorts of problems too.

I've heard that if running causes pain, the best way to avoid pain is to stop running, but that's just a rumor...

I've heard that if running causes pain, the best way to avoid pain is to stop running, but that's just a rumor...
running doesn't cause pain, running incorrectly causes pain. ;)

I must admit I was hurting while doing my track workout this morning. I took several weeks off from running while I was on vacation and getting back into it is tough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went in to the doctor's office a while back and said, "It hurts when I do this."

His response, "Well then don't do that." :D

I went in to the doctor's office a while back and said, "It hurts when I do this."

His response, "Well then don't do that." :D
Dr Nick Riviera?

Dr._Riviera.png

There are other physical activities that can be done to prevent you from going crazy.

Modern Warfare 3 is one of them.... ;)

Battlefield 3 is my game of choice.
And a damn good one at that. It was a toss-up between those 2 on which to get. I have too many games in the vault currently and don't have time for BF3. Among them are MW3, L4D2 (great zombie apocalypse game), Company of Heroes, Crysis 2, and Magicka (like the old Gauntlet). A few have been urging me to get Diablo III, but I probably wouldn't have much time to play that either. LOL Do you use Steam?

EDIT: thread derailed. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only a half-dozen or so games in my PS3 library. Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy 13, Street Fighter, Red Dead Redemption, Battlefield 3 are the ones that come to mind. As you can see, all of them (minus street fighter) are long-term commitment type games with long story lines, ever expanding "free roam" capabilities, and RDR & BF3 have good online/multi-player options. I don't usually buy a game unless I've exhausted my options or got bored with my current game. I haven't even started looking for my next game yet as BF3 has plenty more gameplay left for me.

Back