Last thing watched on netflix / Amazon..................

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently, we watched "The Ritual" on Netflix and "Hereditary" on Amazon. I was talking with some friends about how I was looking to be really, truly scared, but haven't found a movie that has done it for me. I guess I want the jump scares, not the creepy scares?

"The Ritual" was okay, and parts were kinda scary, but I think Mr. Leggo got more scared than I did. I thought one of the characters was really funny, and that took away from any potential scariness. It was a bit gory, which is not really my thing, but not overly so, and it was fairly easy to predict as the movie went on.

"Hereditary" was definitely creepy, and went kinda crazy and weird, but was pretty good! Not jump scary at all, but unsettling... For instance, sometimes it was hard to tell what was reality, what was consciousness, etc.

We started watching Bly Manor.  It's from the people who did Haunting of Hill House.  Considering how much we loved Haunting of Hill House, this show suuuuucks.  Not scary, story not interesting, characters not interesting, acting is poor.  We're maybe five episodes in waiting for it to get better, but there's not a single character I even give a shit about.  I am basically only watching it at this point because Mrs. Supe and Junior want to watch it, and spotting the ghosts in the background is like an adult game of Where's Waldo.

I watched the first two episodes last night.  definitely a little slow on character development.  With the return of the 80s fashion I wasn't sure if it was present day or really set back in the 80's...had to look it up.  the au pair's mirror friend is the only one that truly startles me.  They need to speed up her backstory a bit.  
so I finished watching bly manor yesterday...wow that was horrible.  That was more of a love story than an a scary story.  I've they want to make a "Haunting of..." collection they really need to step it up.  

I still haven't watched the rest, and am not sure I'll even bother.

Watched The Queens Gambit. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Understanding chess will definitely add to it. It’s a limited series so it isn’t a deep investment.  
We are currently watching Outlander. The premise seemed a bit much for my tastes but my assistant convinced me to give it a try. I will admit I am hooked. I realized this when I found myself googling historical events that take place in the show and wanting to buy a kilt. 
 There are three seasons currently on Netflix with two more on Starz. Two more are in the making. 

Watched The Queens Gambit. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Understanding chess will definitely add to it. It’s a limited series so it isn’t a deep investment.  
I really enjoyed this series.  I started watching it and had to force myself to stop when it was bedtime.  Very nice that it was a limited series, so it was dragged out over 10+ episodes.  One of the main reasons I don't get into series is that they're too long and I tend to lose interest (no matter how good the writing is).

It's mid-November, which means all the trash Christmas-themed rom coms are coming out.  I watched two yesterday (A Country Christmas and Christmas with a Prince) as well as the new Jingle Jangle musical.  Jingle Jangle was actually super cute/good.  I was little overwhelmed by the camerawork sometimes, since there is so much going on with the singing and the costumes, but I might rewatch it to catch all the lyrics etc.

But more trash Christmas/Holiday-themed rom coms are coming out, so, yeah. that's prob my whole watching history for the next month.

Only watched the first episode of Queen's Gambit but thought it was very well done.  Will probably binge the rest this weekend.  

Watched the preview for the Queen's gambit...looks decent.

Nothing christmas/winter related until after thanksgiving here.  

I am trying to finish out the season finale of Homeland, but the whole blackhawk accident and lack of any real support for those type of passengers just seems a tad too unrealistic to me..

I am trying to finish out the season finale of Homeland, but the whole blackhawk accident and lack of any real support for those type of passengers just seems a tad too unrealistic to me..
Just get past that part and it's one of the best seasons of Homeland to date, IMO.

I'm trying.. im liking it so far, just that part was like what?

I also finally realized that Carrie was the female lead in Terminator 3 (the daughter of the air force general who set up skynet 3.0)

I miss "The Americans"  I thought that was a prety good spy show..

I've watched the first two episodes of "The Queen's Gambit" as well, and am liking it. I plan to watch one episode at a time... I don't have time to binge things these days. This girl's got crap to do!

Also, I'm trying to keep up with this season of "The Great British Baking Show"... I think I'm an episode behind though!

Love the Great British Baking Show...I like to have it on in the background while I'm making dinner...Saving the holiday episodes for next week...

Also, Peaky Blinders!!!! Just finishing up season 1...hopefully, the rest is as good.

3 years later...FINALLY started The Crown. It's excellent!

I don't give two pence about the royal family, but I'm super into the story for its own sake, the set, costumes, and music. Respek.
I just started season 4.  While they embellish the story, they are set on true events.  I did learn a bit about history that I didn't know.  

It’s only been the first episode so they’ve still got plenty of time to screw it up, but “Big Sky” was pretty good. Story picked up from the get go and ended with a bang.

Four episodes in to Queens Gambit and still loving it.  The lead actress is awesome.  I wonder what her personality is like in real life, because she absolutely nails the whole INTJ aspect of the role.  

I watched Big Sky also. thought it was pretty good, its getting shredded in the "reviews" on imdb not sure why.

Lost interest in Homeland around Ep 7 - probbaly just going to skip to the final episode.

Started watching "A Teacher"   - I keep seeing reviews about how this show is "so brave" not seeing that yet - I am just watching to see Zoe from House of Cards again?

Also, I'm trying to keep up with this season of "The Great British Baking Show"... I think I'm an episode behind though!
I refuse to begin the current season until they have all the episodes out.  Def a series that I like to binge over a weekend when I'm feeling blue.

@squaretaper LIT AF PE, I still have not watched 'The Crown'.  

In other news, my parents started watching something called 'Ninja Nun' (I think) on netflix.  Mom says it's hilarious.  Dad is taking it seriously.  I need to start watching it/it is actually on my list, but I'm ultra lazy about watching things.

Oh.  And super late, but I finally started watching 'The Handmaiden Tales', only the first 20-minutes of the first episode.  Not a lot like the book, imho, but it's super satirical right now, so I'm hoping they take some aspects of the book and broaden them out.

Back