Last thing watched on netflix / Amazon..................

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though if I'm being honest, Walter's character has been bugging me for a while and I don't find myself as engaged with the show as I once was. I do appreciate the character development I see happening, however.

Yep, first time through for me. Not first time for my husband, but it's also one of (if not his number one) favorite shows.

Though if I'm being honest, Walter's character has been bugging me for a while and I don't find myself as engaged with the show as I once was. I do appreciate the character development I see happening, however.
I think it's all worth it. Walter does turn into a jerk as you've seen, but there are just so many unexpected events that kept me engaged.

Yeah, the plot is pretty good...

Except watching an ENTIRE EPISODE about him attempting to kill a fly was too much. About five minutes into it, I asked my husband how long we were going to spend watching him try to kill this fly. It was THE ENTIRE EPISODE. I spent most of my time playing minesweeper on my phone.

We've been watching Atypical on Netflix, which follows the family of a high school senior boy with high functioning autism.  Much better/way funnier than we thought it would be.  

We watched the 1st two seasons and liked them both - although I wonder how the autism community received it - I feel like the show had good intentions but it may have struck some nerves?

I have never watched all the Park n Rec so I am gong to start that (on Prime) I think our netflix runs out at the end of the month... 

Well, they weren't outraged by it enough to stop Netflix from making three seasons of it, so I'll assume it was somewhat minimal!

Mmmmmm, I watched it and as someone who has a high functioning older brother...It rubbed me the wrong way.  It's seems like they tried to make the 'perfect autistic series', which...it's not like that in real life?. Tbh, Sam as a character felt more like an aspie than a person with autism, but now that Asperger's is under the autism umbrella...Idk.  My brother is 33.  We grew up before autism was 'cool' and more visible.  My parents made the choice to keep him instead of sending him off to a hospital for extended day camps.  I grew up with a non-verbal older brother who only learned to 'talk' at 12, who was much bigger than me, and who had tantrums that often ended up with him locked-in his room so he could burn out/break things without hurting others.  He won't 'grow out of that', like Atypical seemed to imply with Sam only having one sensory overload and then implying a majority of those outbreaks happened when he was younger?

And it's great that Sam gets to go to college, as in Season 3, but my brother will never have that.  He finished high school, due to my mom pulling him from the sensory/special school that was making him do the same things over and over again, but now she's dealing with Social Security attempting to take his benefits away because he 'makes too much money' working part-time at Target.  My parents have accepted they will always take care of him (even as they've retired) because he is high-functioning enough to not want to live in a group home, but not high-functioning enough to be able to live by himself without constant calls/reminders to shower/shave/take over the garbage/etc.  It's having to deal with everyone acting like Autism Speaks is a good group, when it is mostly insulting to those with autism and implied autism needs to be 'cured'.  I know that's not entertaining tv, but that is the reality for a majority of the parents and family who have children with autism and I get what they're trying to do, but at the same time...idk.

I mean...I still have to hold my older brother's hand when we go to theme parks because he gets overloaded and will just stop in the middle of a crowd.  My brother is 6'3", 250 lbs of muscle, and he doesn't look me in the eye.  And I get what Atypical wants to do, but having participated in the autism community from a young age, when children were still 'sent away', I'm sad they missed showing more of the hard-hitting points of the autistic community.

That is sort of what I was thinking as I watched it, I do think maybe there heart is in the right place but I think it would make a lot of families feel the same as you.

Mmmmmm, I watched it and as someone who has a high functioning older brother...It rubbed me the wrong way.  It's seems like they tried to make the 'perfect autistic series', which...it's not like that in real life?. Tbh, Sam as a character felt more like an aspie than a person with autism, but now that Asperger's is under the autism umbrella...Idk.  My brother is 33.  We grew up before autism was 'cool' and more visible.  My parents made the choice to keep him instead of sending him off to a hospital for extended day camps.  I grew up with a non-verbal older brother who only learned to 'talk' at 12, who was much bigger than me, and who had tantrums that often ended up with him locked-in his room so he could burn out/break things without hurting others.  He won't 'grow out of that', like Atypical seemed to imply with Sam only having one sensory overload and then implying a majority of those outbreaks happened when he was younger?

And it's great that Sam gets to go to college, as in Season 3, but my brother will never have that.  He finished high school, due to my mom pulling him from the sensory/special school that was making him do the same things over and over again, but now she's dealing with Social Security attempting to take his benefits away because he 'makes too much money' working part-time at Target.  My parents have accepted they will always take care of him (even as they've retired) because he is high-functioning enough to not want to live in a group home, but not high-functioning enough to be able to live by himself without constant calls/reminders to shower/shave/take over the garbage/etc.  It's having to deal with everyone acting like Autism Speaks is a good group, when it is mostly insulting to those with autism and implied autism needs to be 'cured'.  I know that's not entertaining tv, but that is the reality for a majority of the parents and family who have children with autism and I get what they're trying to do, but at the same time...idk.

I mean...I still have to hold my older brother's hand when we go to theme parks because he gets overloaded and will just stop in the middle of a crowd.  My brother is 6'3", 250 lbs of muscle, and he doesn't look me in the eye.  And I get what Atypical wants to do, but having participated in the autism community from a young age, when children were still 'sent away', I'm sad they missed showing more of the hard-hitting points of the autistic community.
Yes. This.

My son is now 16 and we are learning that "growing out of it" just isn't a realistic expectation.  

But we haven't watched, won't watch, and therefore I have no idea what the show is like. I kind of get the impression that people who don't live with it every day (ie.g., my parents) think of it as a Young Sheldon kind of situation, which it is not. 

I don't think they really show him growing out of it - we've gotten to the point in the show where he's about ready to graduate high school, but he's still having regular "meltdowns" for various reasons, be it getting uncomfortable at a sleepover, losing his sketch portfolio, not being able to complete a birthday ritual for his sister, etc.  

Still, I'd take the show for what it is - entertainment that tries to give the public some general awareness of what autism is, what triggers it, and how those who have it are seen/treated by others.  In that regard, even I learned a thing or two.  But yes, it definitely caters towards those on the very high-functioning side.

Watched It.  Yes, I'm behind the times.

Macron-1-.jpg

Picked back up with Breaking Bad.  I was binge watching a while ago and stopped midway through S3.  Started watching again about a week now and on the third episode of S5.  The break was definitely needed.  The show is as good as I remember it being.

You know I watched BB when it came out "live: and I saw every episode except the finale - I guess one day I should go back and watch it - I think I had to go out of town for a trip back then and before it was on netflix they didn't re show the finale -  I read the synopsis online.. kind of weird.

Anybody started watching "The Outsider" on HBO yet?  The trailer has popped up on my FB feed a few times and the comments people are leaving make it sound good.  I always loved reading Steven King growing up, but I know his TV shows/movies can be hit-or-miss sometimes.

Back