Last thing watched on netflix / Amazon..................

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^Three to five (?) orders of magnitude.

But that said, I was doing a little reading yesterday to try to find out some of the "truth" and found that the second explosion is apparently now believe to have been nuclear in nature, not steam - a "fizzle" because it dispersed the materials as soon as the chain reaction began, so very weak in terms of nuclear blasts.

Not a nuke guy and it's been a while since I watched it, so I'm trying to go from a spotty memory, but was the blast they were talking about a nuclear blast or an explosion that would have happened if the core melted down into the cooling water and it flashed to steam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone catch this continuum show? Something about a police lay from the future gets sent back in time accidentally and tried to arrest the future bad guys who also went back in time? Seems intriguing but curious if it will stall out after a few episodes?

^^ It's an ok show. The first couple seasons are the best. I stopped watching after season 4. It just got dumb and too Canadian for me.

"too Canadian"

I am both not sure what this means, and yet absolutely sure at the same time.

It's a Canadian syfi drama. It's set in Seattle but you can tell it's filmed in Victoria.

They seem to have a lot of those - very odd but I guess they have to sell subscriptions to Canadians also

I did, and it confirmed exactly what I thought - lots of strong guys, but they're all massive 'roid-raging assholes.

Check out "Unbroken" with Calum Von Moger.  He was one of the big stars of bodybuilding, was in Generation Iron, etc.  He ended up with two nasty injuries, and the amount of atrophy/muscle loss in less than a year's time is absolutely mindblowing.

Yeah my thought was there had to be lots of roids! And for strong dudes they just seemed very unhealthy!

Will check out some of the other one - couldn’t watch two of those the same weekend!

Yeah my thought was there had to be lots of roids! And for strong dudes they just seemed very unhealthy!

Will check out some of the other one - couldn’t watch two of those the same weekend!
They were all extremely unhealthy, and honestly, part of a near-bygone era.  "Geared" lifting was so fast and loose with the rules, most of its "records" were called into question and people started shifting towards raw lifting.  You watch a ton of these records with guys wearing full suits, wraps, the works, and not even coming close to parallel, and people just roll their eyes.  Social media really destroyed its credibility.

I was watching it with the wife and I totally want to order one of those squat suits for next squat day! not the weird one they ripped in the back. But I think that would be a riot to show up to workout in one of those bad boys...

The part I did find interesting was the use of bands and the heavy reliance on box squats, something I had never done until this past year -

I was watching it with the wife and I totally want to order one of those squat suits for next squat day! not the weird one they ripped in the back. But I think that would be a riot to show up to workout in one of those bad boys...

The part I did find interesting was the use of bands and the heavy reliance on box squats, something I had never done until this past year -
Easier said than done!  Watch what it takes to get into one of those suits, it's comical.  It's not uncommon to literally wrap the straps around a barbell and have to bounce up and down in a squat rack to get your legs and stomach into them.  They are insanely tight.  Prime example:

julia-squat-suit1.jpg

Box squats are nice because you can't rely on stretch reflex and they program you to find the correct depth.  As bad as my knees are, I only do box squats, and they've been a lifesaver.  

And it was a farmer John wet suit at that- still one of the funniest things we talk about...

Ended up watching it the other night after reading about it here.  I'm on the fence about the 'roids.  Seems like they would have talked about it on there if they were doing it.  Didn't have any problem talking about the guy OD-ing.

Ended up watching it the other night after reading about it here.  I'm on the fence about the 'roids.  Seems like they would have talked about it on there if they were doing it.  Didn't have any problem talking about the guy OD-ing.
They did, but sort of in passing with a one-liner from Simmons.  Mark Bell trained under Simmons, and is very open about steroid use.  Give "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" a watch, which mainly stars Mark's brother.  Here is a quote straight from Simmons when he did a T-Nation interview when asked "do you cycle":

Louie Simmons: No, I stay on. I don't believe in periodization in training, either. I use mostly anabolics like Equipoise and Laurabolin until it's time for a competition, and then I do the harder androgens. I do not take Anadrol. I've never had any problems. I know guys who take much more than I do, to the point where you can call it abuse, and they don't seem to have any problems, either. There's no possible way I can train the way I do without taking anabolics, but the same techniques of training apply even if you're natural. I've also used the andro products and find that they give a greater boost in aggression than steroids! At least temporarily. I use them right before training.

Keep in mind - Simmons based a lot of what he was doing around the Russian methods from the 80's, and nobody had the anabolic combos down quite like the Russians!

Back