Last thing watched on netflix / Amazon..................

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently watching Rotten - Netflix original miniseries about the food supply system in general and the large scale fraud/corruption in the industry (garlic?? never would've thought).  Pretty good, if disturbing, stuff.

Currently watching Rotten - Netflix original miniseries about the food supply system in general and the large scale fraud/corruption in the industry (garlic?? never would've thought).  Pretty good, if disturbing, stuff.
So what you're saying is I should pay the extra buck for the "organic" garlic?

Well the problem seems to be most prevalent with the peeled garlic available.  The non-American peeled garlic is supplied from China (shipped through other Asian countries to dodge taxes) and the documentary found that Chinese forced-prison labor was being used to peel garlic.  The prisoners were peeling so much (20kg a day if I recall correctly) that their finger nails were worn through so they used their teeth to bite the garlic "root" off.

So yeah...local, organic garlic or at least non-peeled.

Well the problem seems to be most prevalent with the peeled garlic available.  The non-American peeled garlic is supplied from China (shipped through other Asian countries to dodge taxes) and the documentary found that Chinese forced-prison labor was being used to peel garlic.  The prisoners were peeling so much (20kg a day if I recall correctly) that their finger nails were worn through so they used their teeth to bite the garlic "root" off.

So yeah...local, organic garlic or at least non-peeled.
Gross!

Ble - garlic is on my 2018 garden to-do list, since I probably go through at least one Chinese prisoners'-worth annually.

Woah, that's surprising to me. Though I don't buy peeled garlic. Is that the stuff that comes in jars and is already minced?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ I think so.

I don't buy the stuff either.

Still, I think there is some reverse Chinese labor thing going on at my house. I always need to peel it.

Woah, that's surprising to me. Though I don't buy peeled garlic. Is that the stuff that comes in jars and is already minced?
They have big jars that are just the cloves, unminced.

Back