Kids of EB

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so we had the award thing this morning.  He got a framed certificate and a small collapsible fabric bin full of summer related toys from the $ store....color book, squirt gun, waterbottle, jump rope, box of flavor ice, playdough, etc.  About $10-15 worth of stuff.   There were 3 kids that got the award.  

Today was the day that the 4th grade girls met with the nurse to talk about female puberty. My daughter's only question for me was what happens with the boys and how do eggs get fertilized. Not having any boys, I thought I would be left out of this conversation. I explained some of the boy stuff. Left out the fertilizer part though. 

Edit:

Wife just got home, we're going to have the full "talk" with her this weekend. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@knight1fox3, my 9yo daughter likes your avatar. She said it's a cool jedi fighting. 

Sorry @snickerd3, she wasn't too impressed with the swears in yours. :)

I'll have to check out the nsfw pic thread later. 

Minisnick is becoming a conman.  He wanted to play with something Snickette was playing with and not wanting to share.  In a sweet innocent voice he asked, "If I give you a penny when we get home can I play with your toy right now?"  Snickette thought all of second, then said sure and handed it over.  I told him she has no sense of what a penny is worth yet, I'd watch out she wont fall for that trick for long.  

Yea!!!!! found out last night minisnicks baseball team won the honor of the last spot in the post season tourney (the other team must have lost their last game).  so they have another game to play.  I hope it is an elimination sort of playoff, they are good when playing kids their own age and if the other team is playing for fun but the other teams that make the post season aren't that way.  Half the other towns run super serious youth baseball programs and don't mix the ages.  we played a whole string of these teams lately and our kids lost their excitement for the game.  Getting slaughtered by the other with a player that hits grand slams every time he bats is killer.  his parents bought him a $350+ bat and lets the whole team use it.  

That was a big part of what ruined the sport for me as a kid.  I played for about 10 years from ages 5-15.  The final straw for me was one of our All-Star games.  We were the "B" team, and the "A" team was supposed to be the ringer that could give Swansea, Mass. a run for their money...  except that we were beating them in an elimination game. 

After I cracked off a two run scoring triple, the "A" team coach complained to the umpire that I didn't touch 2B (which I did), and complained long enough that they called me out even though the umpire didn't see any infraction.  Parents on my team were so livid, that one of the dads even stormed the field camcorder in hand, SCREAMING at the umpire about the injustice, something along the lines of "maybe you motherf*ckers can watch him touch the bag on video replay, since you can't get your heads far enough out of your asses to watch the actual f*cking game".  The three of them went at it, a few other parents joined in, said parents were ejected, and the game went on.

The "B" team ultimately went on to lose a very close scoring game, while the victorious "A" team and their asshole coach went on to get mercy ruled by Swansea, Mass.  I quit PONY league after that, and played one more year over in Little League (for whatever reason, PONY was way more competitive than Little League was in CT), only because my middle school friends were on the team and one of their dads was the coach.  We sucked that year, I got tired of playing three sports (shooting and basketball), and called it quits with baseball.  

I remember the sound those expensive bats made!

I coached a very sub average team of 9 year olds one year and took them to 2nd place by just coaching the hell out of how to steal bases (especially how to steal home) and how to defend kids stealing bases. We had no real ringers to hit the ball, so I played the averages and let the strike out kids take some walks and it was hell of fun beating the teams where every kid on the team had "those" bats and similar stories like Supe's A team fiasco above.  That's the only team I really have fond memories of coaching, to man stories to tell.

I never played baseball until my senior year in HS- I wanted to play all the sports I could, I wasn't very good but they did somehow let me play catcher, because that was the only position where hitting people was (sort of) allowed..

Anyone's kids do swim team? My 10 y/o was asking if there was a swim team in town. She does soccer year round,  but swim looks like a long season too. I don't think she could do both. Soccer is state wide while swim does a bit of travel. Soccer is 55min of play, while swim is just a couple minutes. 

What are others experiences? 

Anyone's kids do swim team? My 10 y/o was asking if there was a swim team in town. She does soccer year round,  but swim looks like a long season too. I don't think she could do both. Soccer is state wide while swim does a bit of travel. Soccer is 55min of play, while swim is just a couple minutes. 

What are others experiences? 
My kids did/done/do (not sure which verb to use, 'cause all 3 apply  :B ) swim team, but not until HS age for their respective high school.  However, there are a few local teams ranging from Elementary - High school ages, but these are not affiliated with any of the schools.  These local teams are somewhat private, but funded by parents paying fees to be on the team.  They train swimmers to go all the way to National Championships as well as Olympics so they are very competitive.  We didn't do that.  Our kids simply join the HS swim team to compete with other regional high school teams.  Travel distance to these competition ranges from 5 miles to 100 miles; depending on how good the kids are and whether they make Sections and move on to the next round.  Swimming is not an easy sport for parents.  Swim meets are long and looooonger... because you have to wait for your kids' turns (events, heats etc...) and their turns may be spotty on the schedule.  One heat may be very early on and the other may be near the end and you have to wait for your turn to do all the heats assigned to you.  Also, the coaches don't like kids leave early when they're all done with their heats.  They have to stay until the end of the meets in order to cheer for their teammates.  Anyway, swimming is an excellent sport!  You don't have to worry about injuries as much as the other contact sports and swimming is a lifetime skill that can save oneself or others' lives.  Although the swim meets are long, wife, me, and the kids all enjoy it.  We make it a family's tradition to go out for a nice dinner local to the meet location before heading back home.  At the end of the school year, the swim team will have a very nice banquet (cater or potlucks) for the swimmers where awards, medals, jacket letter, and recognition are handed out.  Do encourage your kids to try the swim team and you too will enjoy it.  Good luck!

Seems like to be on swim team you have to have at least one stay at home parent (or one with a sham

Job like realtor or insurance adjuster) cause the times are just never good for "normal people"...

Seems like to be on swim team you have to have at least one stay at home parent (or one with a sham

Job like realtor or insurance adjuster) cause the times are just never good for "normal people"...
This is true, but you can get by with having other team parents help to take your kids during weekdays.  Team parents that are available during weekdays are very nice and are willing to let kids hitch rides all the time.  The kids become good friends.  Wife & I both work full time, so we swing by after work if the meets are close by and watch the remainder of the meets.  Big events usually take place on weekends so we're available to go for the whole thing.  We return the favors to other parents by taking their kids on the weekends while they run errands etc.  You're right; It's difficult to be on your own when your kids swim, but we've been able to manage it for the last 6-7 years.  The excitement & memory of your kids swimming while teammates cheer are priceless!  

my son was asked to be on the swim team when he was ~9.  I'm glad we didn't do it.  My buddy would tell m stories about spending the entire day inside a pool when his daughter had maybe one competitive event which lasted a couple of minutes.  If you're a swimmer and like the environment, why not?  Otherwise you may find yourself becoming an unwitting pool rat.

At this point, I'm not going to discourage her, but I'm not going to bring it up again either. If someday she doesn't want to do soccer, we can consider competitive swim.

Back