Job Gripes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp... all merit increases canceled for this year.  At first they were postponed until Q3, but now they just dropped the whole turd on us - completely cut.  Not only did I get to let my employees know about the delay (not well received), but now I get to drop this on them.  F
yup same here. Only postponed so far, but I know where this is going.

Also, we were supposed to get 2 more people in my team. But hiring is also frozen for the foreseeable future. So team does get a raise in workload.  :brickwall:

Due to covid, tornado damage, and one of the lowest customer MW load years, all raises and promotions have been cancelled this year, too. 

Since it's almost my 1 year anniversary with my company, let me rant a little.

Last year the wife and I were looking to move to TN. I was doing SCADA for a company, and so I applied for a SCADA position in TN. I interviewed for the position, and they extended the offer. After talking with my wife, we decided not to take the position because I really wanted to get out of SCADA and get into protective relaying. So I called the manager and turned down the offer. He called a week later and asked if I would reconsider, but I turned him down again. He called a week after that and asked again, but I turned him down again and then told him I wanted to get out of SCADA and into protection, and didn't want to take a job where I would then plan on leaving shortly. He said he understands and appreciated my honesty. He then called again a week after that and said if I came and did SCADA for him for a "year or two" he would move me into protection. Well, that seemed like a great option; I could move and do a job I know how to do, in a place where we want to live, and then eventually I could move into a job I want to do. So we accepted the position.

After working there for about 2 weeks, I was having a conversation with the manager and he said "I didn't forget the promise I made to you about moving you into protection after 2-3 years (hmm...), but I hope once you learn our system you'll want to stay in SCADA." -__- (Just to mention, the person I was replacing retired 3 days after I started, so there was essentially no hand-off)

Well, about 2-3 weeks ago my manager hired a new protection engineer to fill the vacancy we had. This guy has zero years in the utilities industry. His only experience is with industrial controls.

First off, within two weeks of me starting the time-frame moved from 1-2 years to 2-3 years, and now my boss hired someone for the position he promised me. Also, he hired me in at a high level, and when I started he said I wouldn't be able to get promoted to the next level until I was with the company for around 15 years.

Needless to say, I've been shopping around for a new position. I did have an interview with a consulting firm for a protection engineer position in April, but that got put on hold because of covid. It has now become very difficult to do work for a manager when I know there's no room for growth and I won't be able to get the position I want for a long time. Did he somehow forget I moved my family up here for the position he promised me???

On the bright-side, in our department there is only me and the SCADA tech. I had a long conversation with the SCADA tech and I asked why he wasn't just promoted to SCADA engineer when the old engineer was retiring, and he said they "wanted someone with a 4 year degree." Well, he's only 1 year out from his degree. He said once he gets his degree he's leaving to find a different job since they screwed him over. And note it took them almost a year to find someone (me) to replace their old SCADA engineer.

If my manager doesn't try to get me moved over quickly and find someone for me to train, he's going to be in for a big surprise when I find a new job and the SCADA tech leaves.

And for the cherry on top, I was offered a protection engineer position to stay with my previous company. Only turned it down because we really wanted to get out of FL and move to TN.

ugh that sucks. i'm sorry they screwed you over. is there anyone above him that you can address your concerns with? 

ugh that sucks. i'm sorry they screwed you over. is there anyone above him that you can address your concerns with? 
I'm not sure. The next level up is VP and our VP really likes my boss. I could go to HR, but even if I go to protection I'll still have to work for him since he's over both departments. I just don't think I could work for him for very long after knowing what he did. Also, there are some people that didn't like him so they moved into a different department. At the end of next year the manager of that department will be retiring and my boss will be absorbing that department lol

He's not a terrible person, and I think he's pretty nice and helpful most of the time. I just think he was trying to get the SCADA engineer position filled by any means possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure. The next level up is VP and our VP really likes my boss. I could go to HR, but even if I go to protection I'll still have to work for him since he's over both departments. I just don't think I could work for him for very long after knowing what he did. Also, there are some people that didn't like him so they moved into a different department. At the end of next year the manager of that department will be retiring and my boss will be absorbing that department lol

He's not a terrible person, and I think he's pretty nice and helpful most of the time. I just think he was trying to get the SCADA engineer position filled by any means possible.
i think it's worth a shot to try and push things in the right direction now, even if you're planning to leave soon. they screwed you so no loyalty, but you could get some extra experience in the area you want while the economy stabilizes and you can move elsewhere

What did your boss say when you asked him about hiring someone for the position he promised you?

I work in System Protection and can let you know next time a position opens up in my group if you want to move to Michigan!

I don't know anyone in Tennessee except Russ Patterson/Patterson Power Engineers.  I suspect he mainly hires people with a lot of experience though.  I do know a few people down in the Atlanta area if you want to split the difference between TN and FL.

Thanks! I think Michigan might be a little too far north for the wife right now! (She still thinks TN is north, bless he heart)

I asked him if this would affect me moving over and he was like "oh no no no." But if he really wanted to move me, he would have a job posting open for SCADA since it took a while the last time, plus he'll need time for me to train someone. He would have to have a job posting up now if he would want someone ready by next August.

Yeah, I've heard lots of similar situations. I've learned if you're promised something during the hiring process, ask for it in writing on your offer letter. If it's verbal only, it doesn't mean squat.

I had a situation where I was promised a vacation balance when I interviewed, so I would start at the new company with x-hours of vacation already in my bank. It didn't happen, then the HR lady that I worked with left the company and no one else knew about it.

This is one of many reasons I left my last job.  I was going from industrial automation to A/E work since I had just gotten my PE.  Since I was new to the A/E world, I agreed to a lower salary, but negotiated a significant (15%) raise once I was in responsible charge of projects.  I caught on quick, and was in responsible charge of projects within a year.  Review comes around...3% COL raise.  I call BS, they say I'm not really in responsible charge (I guess me creating, revising, and stamping drawings doesn't count).  I was there a total of 18 months.

Yeah, I've heard lots of similar situations. I've learned if you're promised something during the hiring process, ask for it in writing on your offer letter. If it's verbal only, it doesn't mean squat.
I do regret not getting him email that offer to me, but I also believe he would've still hired someone else for the position, because it was difficult to find me for my position. There wouldn't be much HR could do at that point other than note that my boss went back on his word, since they're not going to fire the new guy and move me over. And the VP won't get rid of my boss. But who know what would've happened. On the plus side, when people do stuff like that it's a really clear tell of their character.

This is one of many reasons I left my last job.  I was going from industrial automation to A/E work since I had just gotten my PE.  Since I was new to the A/E world, I agreed to a lower salary, but negotiated a significant (15%) raise once I was in responsible charge of projects.  I caught on quick, and was in responsible charge of projects within a year.  Review comes around...3% COL raise.  I call BS, they say I'm not really in responsible charge (I guess me creating, revising, and stamping drawings doesn't count).  I was there a total of 18 months.
That's a bummer. Glad you were able to get out of there.

I always think back to my previous position and laugh about how it all happened. When my wife and I decided to turn down the offer the first time, before I turned it down I went and talked with my boss. I told him I had another offer, and it was in a state where we wanted to live with a 15% salary increase. This is when he made the offer to give me a promotion as well as move me into protection.

Now, the standard promotion raise was 6% at a minimum. Always has been, and was usually more than that. So when I accepted the promotion and new job, I assumed getting at least a raise close to what I was going to make at the new company. About a week after that meeting he called me back into his office. He said he had some good news, that my new title was Protection & Controls engineer (but will have to close up projects in SCADA before I can move), and I've been promoted to the next level, and getting a 2.5% raise. I felt like that was a slap in the face. That helped make the decision to take the TN job much easier a few weeks later. He probably thought the TN job was off the table when I turned it down. Little did he know the other manager would've called 3 more times lol

It sounds like most of the managers I'll be working for in this industry are only concerned about the numbers and having bodies in positions. At least I'm learning how the game works and how to be better prepared next time. 1) Never assume anyone is going to keep their word, 2) never make assumptions, always get firm dates and numbers, 3) I'm worth more than I'm getting paid (I know this because of getting the 15% increase when switching companies doing the same work, and from when I arrived to my current company people were telling me I was underpaid).

And to top it off, a week after I gave my two weeks notice at my previous company, the only other SCADA engineer gave his two weeks notice. I bet my old manager regrets not offering me more money.

And I just remembered I have my year-end review this morning. Will see how that goes.

I do regret not getting him email that offer to me, but I also believe he would've still hired someone else for the position, because it was difficult to find me for my position. There wouldn't be much HR could do at that point other than note that my boss went back on his word, since they're not going to fire the new guy and move me over. And the VP won't get rid of my boss. But who know what would've happened. On the plus side, when people do stuff like that it's a really clear tell of their character.
They probably would have done something because a written offer letters can be considered a legal contract. So if it's in writing and they don't do it, you could (in theory) take them to court. Most people probably wouldn't bother, but also most companies don't want to take the risk. So I'd expect that HR would try to negotiate something to make you happy.

They probably would have done something because a written offer letters can be considered a legal contract. So if it's in writing and they don't do it, you could (in theory) take them to court. Most people probably wouldn't bother, but also most companies don't want to take the risk. So I'd expect that HR would try to negotiate something to make you happy.
True.

I knew a guy who had issue in the opposite direction. He interview and was verbally offered a job as a level 2 engineer. HR typoed the offer letter and the letter offered him a position as a level 3 engineer. (Big corporation and they were literally hiring hundreds of engineers at the time.) He signed it, mailed it back to HR, and kept a copy for himself. When he started working he was a level 2. HR and his manager said, the level 3 was a typo. He said, "I have it in writing" and forced them to give it to him. Pissed off his first manager, but he ended up moving to a different dept within the company within a couple years, so it worked out pretty well for him.

Its weird to think that covid would impact utilities negatively? I mean whether everyone is at work or working at home isnt electricity electricity? ( I know thats probably a major generalization?)

Thanks! I think Michigan might be a little too far north for the wife right now! (She still thinks TN is north, bless he heart)
Anyone who lives North of Macon is a Yankee!

Back