It's Friday!!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a big kid's (high school and college) graduation year for us. It seems between friends and family there are at least 2 graduation parties every weekend this month.

We have a BBQ to go to tonight. I'm cooking 6 flank steaks for 24 people and getting drunk in the process. However, before that, on my way home I have to pick up my boat from my grandmother's house (I store it in her back yard because the stupid HOA won't allow me to park the boat overnight on my parking pad behind my townhouse), and tow it over to my house. My parents and brothers are coming down tonight as well but they're staying with my grandmother. After the BBQ I've got to replace all the trailer lights and remake all the electrical connections on the trailer lights so I can go fishing tomorrow. I've also got to rig a couple more trout lines tonight, mind you I'll be doing all of this inebriated. Then I'm picking up my dad and brothers at the ass crack of dawn tomorrow morning to go fishing, more than likely I'll be somewhat hungover. Hopefully we'll catch a load of fish and be eating fish for dinner tomorrow night. If the catch looks good then we'll go again on Sunday morning. I've also got a new crab pot so hopefully I'll catch crabs as well. Overall, this is going to be a great weekend. Nothing beats catching fish and drinking Coors lights before noon on the Stono river.

(this space is reserved for commentary regarding Chucktown getting crabs)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a big kid's (high school and college) graduation year for us. It seems between friends and family there are at least 2 graduation parties every weekend this month.
My buddy from college finished his PhD over the winter, then threw a party this spring once the weather was nicer. He's the only person I know graduating anything this year.

Next person I know that I hope graduates is me in 2 or 3 years!

Have another softball game tonight. Shipping the kiddos off with my parents on Saturday for the next week and a half. Then on Sunday I'll be on a plane to Vegas and am not coming back until Friday. I'll be coming back to a house with only me and my wife for next weekend, then the following week will be spent handing off the last of my project stuff because it's my last week before I start the new job.

Bike park opens today, gonna be up tomorrow with friends. Just dialed in my suspension last night. I've been waiting for this for a few weeks now.

My Norwegian ass model girlfriend and I are going to ditch the end of Fashion Week in New York and charter a jet to Iceland for the weekend. They have an intense club scene there.

My brother's second child is having a baptism in a Catholic church this weekend. He and his wife wanted me and my wife to be god parents. But since we were once Catholic and are now Methodist, the priest deemed us as not good role models and would not allow us to be god parents.

So what should I do in the church to show how much of a bad role model I would be?

My brother's second child is having a baptism in a Catholic church this weekend. He and his wife wanted me and my wife to be god parents. But since we were once Catholic and are now Methodist, the priest deemed us as not good role models and would not allow us to be god parents.
So what should I do in the church to show how much of a bad role model I would be?

Oh dear, I'll have to give this some thought.

In all seriousness, that's absolutely ridiculous that the priest wouldn't let you be a god parent. I guess he's still pissed off about that whole reformation thing.

In all seriousness, that's absolutely ridiculous that the priest wouldn't let you be a god parent. I guess he's still pissed off about that whole reformation thing.
I can actually understand the technicality ruling, but to throw in that we would not be good role models is just crazy. It would be one thing if the priest actually knew us and can say first hand that we are not good role models, but to just assume like that is very closed minded.

Refuse to honor them with your presence.

Consider suggesting that he's a bad role model as he is a member of an organization that defends pedophilia.

Not for anything but the point of having a Catholic baptism is to baptize the baby into the Catholic faith and to swear to raise the baby as a Catholic. In the event that something happens to the parents, it is the godparent's responsibility to raise the baby catholic. I can see why a priest would not like having people who have opted out of Catholicism as godparents and even how he could view the individuals as not good Catholic role models. Heck they renounced the faith.

If you're equating godparents with "legal guardians" then take the Catholic church out of the picture and don't baptize the baby and instead just have them legally declared as guardians.

Sorry, but I find this as annoying as people people who don't go to church or partcipate in any of the Church's rituals (not go to Mass on holy days pf obligation, etc.) yet they HAVE to have a Church wedding.

IMO, the rejection for godparents has NOTHING to do with whether they are good people, just that they are not practicing catholics (so why would they raise the baby catholic).

/end rant/

Refuse to honor them with your presence.

Consider suggesting that he's a bad role model as he is a member of an organization that defends pedophilia.
Exactly my point. If you don't like Catholics then don't bother trying to participate in their religion.

FWIW, they don't defend pedophilia per se they just don't expose it within their organization.

Huh. I was going to vote for urinating in the holy water trays at the entrances.

Not for anything but the point of having a Catholic baptism is to baptize the baby into the Catholic faith and to swear to raise the baby as a Catholic. In the event that something happens to the parents, it is the godparent's responsibility to raise the baby catholic. I can see why a priest would not like having people who have opted out of Catholicism as godparents and even how he could view the individuals as not good Catholic role models. Heck they renounced the faith.
If you're equating godparents with "legal guardians" then take the Catholic church out of the picture and don't baptize the baby and instead just have them legally declared as guardians.

Sorry, but I find this as annoying as people people who don't go to church or partcipate in any of the Church's rituals (not go to Mass on holy days pf obligation, etc.) yet they HAVE to have a Church wedding.

IMO, the rejection for godparents has NOTHING to do with whether they are good people, just that they are not practicing catholics (so why would they raise the baby catholic).

/end rant/
I understand the technicality and have no reason to argue the religious aspects. I do not appreciate the character attack from the priest that does not know me, and has no idea if I am a good role model.

Exactly my point. If you don't like Catholics then don't bother trying to participate in their religion.
FWIW, they don't defend pedophilia per se they just don't expose it within their organization.
I never said I disliked Catholics.

"I don't care what YOUR god says, MY god say's you're going to hell..." <-- the main reason I'm not a big fan of any religion.

Last edited:

/end rant/
I understand the technicality and have no reason to argue the religious aspects. I do not appreciate the character attack from the priest that does not know me, and has no idea if I am a good role model.
Don't be so sensitive. You renounced the Catholic faith to join the Methodist church, you are NOT a good Cathiolic role model (however, you are likely an OUTSTANDING Methodist role model). Live with it.

/end rant/
Sorry MA, didn't mean to piss in the proverbial holy water. What I should have said was what Paul said and that my issue was with a priest saying 'since they were once Catholic and are now Methodist they are not good role models and can't be god parents'. If he had said, 'they aren't Catholic so the church will not allow them to be the godparents' that would be one thing, but to say they wouldn't be good role models due to becoming protestant is ridiculous. And if it were me I'd a been some kind of irritated. FWIW, I grew up Presbyterian and now go to a Baptist Church, not affiliated with the Southern Baptist convention. We had one kid baptised in the Methodist church in Atlanta, then the other kids was baptised in a Presbyterian church here. Since then we started going to the Baptist church and they don't believe in infant baptistm, nor do they recognize mine or my wife's infant baptism. In order to join the church we have to be rebaptised, which I'm not quite sure about still. But if we do join this church and then have another kid they won't be getting baptised.

Back