Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe in Dry Suit Diving!

I hope to be able to go back for xmas and see my friend:

Well, official offer has been received. I've not dug into the details yet, but I've got to call their benefits department now that I've got the letter to learn how much their premiums are. Exciting times!

Let the stress/anxiety/fun/excitement/sadness/happiness begin.

It is unbelievable how all those feelings come to the surface during a change like that. Is that right RG?

Yep...6 months from now you will be looking for that undo button.... I'm still trying to find one myself to be honest...

Last edited by a moderator:
My MIL calls this Taint Season (t'aint Winter, t'aint Summer).

Yep...6 months from now you will be looking for that undo button.... I'm still trying to find one myself to be honest...

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine! :p

In all honesty, though, I do appreciate your insight because you have very recent experience with this. It's always best to look at the good and the bad aspects of a decision like this.

i can't imagine what housing costs out there. Although I think you might be the only one in your family that will stick out and get labeled as haole.

^Yea, I told my wife that her and mini-ble1 would fit in pretty good out there. Mini-ble2 and myself are the lighter skinned ones that will be the "haoles".

If you have a good job it probably makes all the difference, I am just way underutilized for my skill set here. Maybe I don't have the patience to re build a lot of relationships.

I haven't said anything about it but next week I am flying to Atlanta to interview with Jacobs for a "leadership position" whatever that means.. My primary goal is to leverage a higher salary out of my company here in all reality

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, official offer has been received. I've not dug into the details yet, but I've got to call their benefits department now that I've got the letter to learn how much their premiums are. Exciting times!
Out of curiosity, is it a salary increase?

Just saying that it better be, you REALLY have to consider the cost of living in a new place...

Technically it will be around a 25% increase in salary. When you take into account the cost of living adjustments, it won't be an increase, but I knew going in that they were not going to pay me that much anyway.

Has anyone ever negotiated a relocation package? I'm going to try to get them to work with me a bit, but I'm not too sure where to start. Any tips?

I would think including a minimum of 30 days at an extended stay type hotel would be included while you search for a place to live would be customary? I would also try and get some trips included so you and the wife can go visit and look at housing. (minimum of at least 1?)

I cant even fathom the cost of that move, I am sure its at least $5K to transport one vehicle? (that's what the guy hear at work who lived there for two years said it cost)

It cost me around $7K to move from Atlanta to Denver, I would imagine your looking at least $20K? And we got rid of a ton of stuff - we basically moved only two of the large PODS type units and it was around $2800 per POD so if it didn't fit in two pods we got rid of it. Also the $7K was us doing all the packing and loading and about half the unloading. We were eating the cost so we went cheap.

My former boss moved from Atlanta to Houston and they give him up to $10K. So he didn't have to lift a finger (sort of pisses me off when I think about it).

I would call some similar services like PODS (who I think also put them on the container ships) and see what the cost is, they have a pretty good system of estimating how many pods you will need. Had we not sold a bunch of stuff they had a family of 5 in a 5 bedroom house at 4-5 pods..

when my FIL moved the company actually reimbursed him for the real estate commission they had to pay on their house which is really nice, I haven't heard of that happening in the engineering world though, but never hurts to ask..

^Thanks for the tips. They are offering a set amount that they will reimburse me, which means it will all be tax-free, but like you said, it's going to be expensive to move out there. I'm going to talk to them about temp housing and possibly a lump sum or "sign-on bonus" to capture all the incidentals that will come up. My biggest problem is that I've never been very good at this part of the process. I'm great in an interview and speaking with other engineers, but when it comes to the negotiation stuff, I'm terrible.

In terms of shipping the car, it really surprised me how much the estimates I got were. If I ship it from the east coast it's around $2800. That drops to around $1100 if it's from CA. I've actually looked into driving cross-country and then flying out of LA or San Diego possibly. That would save us about $3000 between the cost of shipping the car and the airplane tickets.

the *one* good thing about moving expenses is that if you incur any cost that are not reimbursed they are a credit off your taxes. It really saved our bacon in terms of taxes that year. Its better than a deduction as it basically comes off your bottom line (if you have to incur any costs outside of what they pay you) you just have to stay at least 10 months to get the moving credit..

we used all airfare, mileage, hotels along the way, hotels while we waited for the rental house to open up, etc..

Back