Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can survive six more years in suburbia, I would totally buy a small ranch house on some land in weld County somewhere

Ok, so ignore my previous comment to RG because I did something pretty crazy last night. I applied for a job in Honolulu. Mrs. ble and I have been talking lately about how you only get one shot at life so why not live a little? Now I'm still an engineer at heart, so I would never be one of those that picks up and moves across the country/world without a good job lined up first, but I figured that it never hurts to try. I know that it is not the best financial decision at all, but who's to say if I'm going to make it past 50? Or 40 for that matter. Honestly, the job description fits my experience to a T almost and would be a step up in responsibility, so professionally it would actually be a good move. By the way dleg, didn't you say that you've been working with Leidos on your utility project out there? It wouldn't be people from their Hawaii office would it? That's where I applied. I've lived my life very conservatively ever since high school and now I'm starting to think "Fuck it, let's try something crazy (but not too crazy)!" We'll see if I make it past the first line of HR...

Yeah - Leidos is doing our IRP and new energy supply RFP. I'm acting as the utility's PM and I'm very active on this job. They are using people from their Denver, Orlando, and Austin (I think - maybe Houston?) offices. No one from Hawaii, but the Denver and Austin folks worked on the Guam IRP a few years ago. I am very impressed with them, so far. I wouldn't hesitate to go to work for them, based on my experience with this particular team (former SAIC, I think? they were all from other companies Leidos bought out, so take that for what it's worth).

Forgive me a "dude", but, Dude, go for it! Island life is awesome, and is indeed worth it, even if just for a little while. Chances are you will get hooked, and find that it's just plain difficult to leave.

As for those of you saying it's so far away, puhleaze..... it's a freaking State! It has an Interstate highway! There's over a million people on Oahu! There are dozens of flights every day to the mainland, a rock bottom prices (for the distance)! The quality of life in terms of amenities is at least what you have, now, and better in terms of the climate and island stuff. While there is some prejudice against "haoles" by the backwoods islanders, Oahu is very diverse and metropolitan, and you will make friends quickly.

My only caution is that the Hawaii consultant world is very incestuous and corrupt. They all have to play the political game to get work, and most are military hangers-on (carpetbaggers). The incestuousness refers to who they hire. If you're Hawaiian born, of Japanese or Filipino descent, you are in. If you're not, you might find it hard to break in or fit in once you are there.

It's very true that all of us islanders are hesitant about hiring off-islanders due to the poor retention rate. I didn't know that was the case with Hawaii as much, but definitely out here. I think that is the root cause of some of the incestuousness. But if you prove yourself to be a hard worker, don't act superior to them (well this is how we do it on the mainland, don't you know anything???), and demonstrate that you enjoy living there, you will likely be warmly accepted.

Dleg, thanks for the info about the company. It makes me feel better about them based on your experience. I've also heard good things about Leidos and I do believe that they used to be SAIC. Your perspective on island living helps out as well. I know that there would be a lot of things that we would sacrifice, but most of those would be material things. We would have one of the most beautiful places on earth in our backyard, so I think that would make up for it.

I told the recruiter that I had researched this prior to applying and that I am serious about it, but he did warn me that there could be a possibility that the PM wouldn't want to interview me solely based on my current location. One thing that I really liked about my conversation with the recruiter is the fact that this is a new office that they are opening and I would be coming in as one of the first employees. He said that they have long term goals for this office and there would be opportunities for promotion fairly quickly.

One thing that I really liked about my conversation with the recruiter is the fact that this is a new office that they are opening and I would be coming in as one of the first employees. He said that they have long term goals for this office and there would be opportunities for promotion fairly quickly.
Not to be Mr. Negativity, but have you considered the flip-side to that coin? What kind of market share do they hope to gain? What if things in the new office don't "take off" like they hope? Just asking some of the "devil's advocate" questions Ble. Hopefully none of that will matter though. :thumbs:

^All very good points. If/when I get an interview with the PM out there, I'll be asking him very similar questions. At the same time, those are all the questions we engineers are always asking and I'm trying to think outside of that box for a change and take a chance. Thanks for the advice though!

Getting in on the ground floor would probably short circuit some of the islander-outsider stuff, so that's a good thing.

I'm guessing but I imagine most of the work out there is sucking of the military industrial complex....or tourism?

I was helping interview graduating college students for entry engineering jobs this week. One of the resumes had an Objective statement that said he was known for his resourcefulness. I asked his to elaborate and I think I stumped him. He didn't have a great explanation, but he did make a fairly good recovery with a story about how he made a part for his car when he couldn't find the right part.

I'm guessing but I imagine most of the work out there is sucking of the military industrial complex....or tourism?
I can't really speak for Hawaii, but I know the military is a huge provider of consultant money.

But remember they also have over a million residents there, plus the tourism industry. Their economy is pretty robust, at least compared to ours.

Based on my conversation with the recruiter, they are opening this office solely for utility based work. They are are looking for people with either utility experience or experience working with a utility and I've been doing that for almost 8 years. Like I said, I hope I get to speak with the manager out there so that I can get more specific information about what their goals are out there.

Ble, are they looking for EEs too? :D I have 15 years utility experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the wife had a good idea over the weekend, she said since my old job strung me along for a couple months last year. she thinks I should apply for my old job, with no intentions of taking it, and string them along for a couple of months. basically play their stupid game for a few months negotiate the highest salary possible, after I receive an offer letter waiting as long as possible and then reject it?

Would you be ok with not just burning the bridge, but blowing it up?

.... my guess is yes.

Back