Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
were they military or were they in the Air Force?

I don't have a problem learning the local laws and regulations & I am sure they could come up with a computer based online test we could all take to avoid giving up an entire weekend. However I think its a joke that I would have to come to meet some Cabela's hunter education instructor to demonstrate that I can fire a few rounds out of a rifle. (after spending 10 years in the Military).

I went through the class after I had completed active duty and it was a serious waste of time.

I agree with Dex. Hunter's safety is not so much about shooting the guns, it's about not endangering other hunters and not leaving wounded/maimed animals roaming the woods all over the place. There was a lot of hunter's ethics, I guess you would call it, in mine.

This goes back to my bad experiences hunting on public lands - lots of people out there who knew all there is to know about guns, firing them off in all directions like it's a freaking game, and thinking it's always the other guy's fault if he's unfortunate enough to be hunting downrange in any of those directions. I've never been in the "real" military or in any form of combat, but from my experiences hunting I can tell you exactly what a high powered rifle bullet sounds like flying past me, both at full speed and as a ricochet. And I know very well what they do to bone, flesh, and organs when they find a target - you are simply not likely to survive a hit from a hunting rifle using a typical, soft-nosed hunting round. It's scary as hell, and why I mentioned I won't hunt with my old HS buddy ever again, as good a friend as he may be. Just not enough respect for the rifle, and even after hunter's safety class (so maybe I put too much faith in that process...)

Not that you'd ever do that, RG. I don't suspect that. I'm just sticking up for educating people before turning them loose with a high powered rifle and a permit to pull the trigger outside a shooting range.

I don't totally disagree with you on the education part. I was mainly saying someone in the military should not have to prove they know how to squeeze the trigger.

Almost every active-duty military installation has its own set of hunting regulations.

I used to Deer Hunter and boar hunt at Fort Stewart Georgia, and I would be willing to bet statistically the number of accidents at military hunting areas is significantly less than the rest of the country. And there are no hunter education courses required.

I never had to prove I could fire a gun to pass hunter safety. Most of my hunting experience didnt even involve a gun.

It covers things like, do you take this shot? Explain why or why not.

DeerInfoPic.jpg

BTW, the answer is no. You do not take this shot because you do not know what is on the other side of the hill. There is not a safe backstop.

9/10 hunters would take that shot! (military or non military)

The current Hunter Safety Class here & lots of places, require you come in and fire 10 rounds of 22 ammo at the conclusion class. I can transfer my license so its a non issue for me, what I was originally getting at that it is really silly to require people that spend say 200 hours + a year firing a weapon to come in and demonstrate that you can fire 10 rounds of 22 ammo.....sort of like its really silly to require a navy seal to take an Open Water Diver Course before they can scuba dive recreationally but they do...

My dad would post a very similar picture during class and ask the same question. 9/10 would say they would take the shot. The next picture he would post would be this, saying this what was on the other side of the hill.

SuburbsNew.jpg

Most people would be a little more cognizant of where they were hunting

A good military man like myself, I always make a sand table of mine. You civilians will have to yahoo that..

Last edited by a moderator:
Applied for the position that was opened by the other guy getting the job I thought I was going to apply for. Still trying to get my head in the game.

Good luck. If you don't get it, it's because that job was a pile of shiite, not worthy of your talents.

Good luck, csb!

I'm trying to decide whether to apply for the Denver National Park Service job. Resumes are due today if I am interested.

I had dinner and drinks with my former EPA supervisors the other night (former, because I have supposedly been transfered from the Pacific Islands office to the Water Division, but I haven't gotten any formal notification of that yet, and nor has a new supervisor been identified to me). They did a pretty good job of convincing me that I have it really good here, and that I should stick around.

But then I attended the utility's Board meeting and got a face full of island politics and animosity, directed towards my big energy planning project and power supply RFP. The best I can piece the evidence together is that a visiting Guam Senator, who is tied up in one of the proposals for converting our power plant to run on heavy fuel oil (No. 6 petroleum), has been making the rounds convincing our inexperienced Board as well as our CNMI legislature, that our project is doomed and that it is structured to not allow his proposal to succeed, which of course would be the cheapest, best option for everyone. He gave a presentation before the Board stating that, as well as several very significant untruths about the project. He even identified himself as a proposer. Then he cleared out, followed by a CNMI Senator, before I had my chance to rebut his statements (not true, here's which page of the document says so, x4). Now, today in the newspaper, the CNMI Senator is working on a bill to give more power to the utility Board because they need the ability to [award a contract to a Guam Senator without regard to the technical or financial merits]. AAAAAGHH!!!!

So I think I will spend some time today polishing up my resume and putting together a cover letter.

He is too big a pussy to take the job if offered, don't waste your time!

(trying some reverse psychology)

Well, just for the record I did apply last week.

I'm already backing off of it, though. There is just so much cool stuff going on with my job now. Yesterday I met with a guy from the CDC, and they are attempting to set up an official "special assignment" for me, to have me detailed to the island's hospital for 6 hours a week (2 hours incl. regular lunch hour, 3 days a week). I would provide infection control oversight as well as technical oversight for the big HVAC replacement project that is already underway. Of course, I know next to nothing about that, but that's the cool thing: they know this, and I will answer to an expert hospital engineer in the mainland (a guy I've met and who is really good to work with), and basically just serve as his eyes, ears, and mouth locally. So I get a special assignment (which equals promotion credit plus a new ribbon), and a new skillset. All for the small price of probably giving up most of my free time for a few months while I study all the relevant standards....

I've got my local supervisor's permission for this, and just need to get permission from EPA now - CDC will sign an agreement with them, reimbursing them for 6 hours a week for whatever time period this lasts.

So I would feel pretty bad going forward with this if I pack up and leave just a couple of months into it...

Yeah but can you even get a coffee at a super target there?

& never feel bad for doing what's best for YOU cause believe me if what's best for them meant closing your federal service job they would do it and not loose any sleep over it.:/\\\\\\\\\\

Back