Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm game just let me know..

I wouldn't even mind starting out doing some bird hunting

^ does CO have a turkey hunting season? That can be fun, but it's difficult and you have to get up super super early to get set before day-break. Not my favorite compared to deer hunting.

There's a flock of at least 50 turkeys that roams the woods around my house. I almost run them over everyday on my way out. I think you could pick off 3-4 with one shot. Turkey season here is in the spring for some reason.

There are a few areas that have turkey hunting. Where my parents live is one of the areas. I've never gone, but could probably find out more about it (my dad helped re-introduce them to the area several years ago).

Turkey's are a difficult hunt- but fun...I would like to also do some pheasant hunting.....I also of course would like a freezer full of elk meat but I always enjoyed ducks and doves almost as much as deer hunting...

This is an old pic... But I have taken a few of the annoying Canadian goose out of lake Lanier over the years.... I have tried to cook them several ways but they are pretty nasty to eat....

ffaa1ee700e22594cb18132b503ba4c4.jpg

I told my wife about the job, so I will probably apply next week after I spruce up my CV. It's only open to USPHS officers, which is nice because that means total bypass of the usual federal hiring process - no USAJobs. Just send in a cover letter and a CV, and let the good old boys network decide.

If I do get offered the job I will very likely take it, and I would totally be up for some EB hunt club! We gotta get us a dog, though!

I had a great time goose hunting in college - a friend's dad (surgeon) rented a pit in a cornfield up north of Fort Collins each season, shared with a few others. I have no idea how much that costs, but that's the way to go. You keep your decoys in there, then just head out early in the morning, set them out, then get under the hide and wait and call them in when they fly over. We sucked at it, and wounded only one bird, but it was fun. Until my buddy ended up driving his truck into someone else's pit one morning. That sucked. We were a little late for class that day!

We did kill and cook one goose, though, from the neighborhood lake, totally illegally, late one night with a crossbow with a fishing attachment. That was after a failed attempt with a golf club (ahem, Wolverine) and then another with hunting knives (what can I say, we had been drinking). But that's a story for another time.

By the way, this friend I speak of - a fellow ME - is about as hard core a hunter as you can imagine. The occasional safari to Africa sort. He just got back from Ibex hunting with his brother in Durka-durkastan - posted a bunch of amazing pics on facebook last month. He lives in AZ now and makes the fatty money (=has an airplane).

^Cool!

I wonder if I can still find my CO hunter's safety card, or if I would even still need it at this age. Anyone know?

Any states hunter safety will work... I think the date is 1964? anyone after that has to have it.... I've got to get the kids theirs.... I should have done it in GA- it's a 2 day thing here for kids....

Last edited by a moderator:
I still remember taking it when I was 14 with my Dad, and I still remember most of what I learned, but most of that was from my Dad, anyway. If I still have the card, I think I know where it is... stashed with my (expired) California blaster's license and Radiation Supervisor certifications :wacko:

Any states hunter safety will work... I think the date is 1964? anyone after that has to have it.... I've got to get the kids theirs.... I should have done it in GA- it's a 2 day thing here for kids....

Sh!t- the one I'm doing is 5 days of evening classes and then Saturday and half-day Sunday.

I've only ever shot a BB gun. I'm mostly concerned I'm going to have to touch a real gun.

Sh!t- the one I'm doing is 5 days of evening classes and then Saturday and half-day Sunday.

I've only ever shot a BB gun. I'm mostly concerned I'm going to have to touch a real gun.

When I took it in NC, the actual shooting portion was option.... but fun ;) Mine was two days (sat and sun)

I think if you have a DD-214 from the army or marines (or if you actually carried a weapon in air force or Navy) you should be exempt from these classes. As well as classes for pistol carrying permits....

Oh, you've touched a real gun before ;)

Didn't you have a .30-30 marlin in the saddle holster on the horse you rode to school?

Very little of the hunter's ed classes is actually about the weapons. It's more about the local hunting laws, different ways to go hunting (different animals, weapons, seasons, etc), and then proper technique for hunting (vital areas of the animal to aim for, shot selection. My dad was a hunter's ed instructor and would cover a lot of this material. He would drag me to several of these classes when I was little so I know it well. Only after the week of night classes would they provide a "field day" which was more of a demonstration of how to handle and what the various weapons available for hunting were capable of. Students were allowed to shoot .22 rifles, but we would do some pretty cool stuff with the larger caliber rifles.

One such demonstration would put a cinderblock on the ground with a coffee can full of water on top. In between them would be a coin (typically a quarter, newer coins worked better). On top of the coffee can would be a 2nd empty coffee can. The shooter would then shoot the vertical seam of the can with a 30-06 or something else larger caliber. The resulting hit would leave the cinderblock shattered on the ground, the water-filled can would completely "unwrap", and send the empty can about 50' in the air. Meanwhile, the coin would cut out a perfect copy slug out of the metal bottom of the can (you could even read the year it was minted).

And I'm glad they don't automatically grant ex-military hunter's ed licenses. Some of the worst people I've encountered on the mountains were ex-military because "they already knew it all"

Back