I GOT A DATE!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not take ANY chances, JR. Things are going too well right now. No need to give Mrs. JR any ammunition.

I would never ever date a lady lawyer. My wife is difficult enough for me. I cannot imagine dating someone worst than her. No way

I am actually just looking to get out of the house .. I wasn't really thinking of hooking it up just yet! :p

I was about to say this- this happened to a friend of mine. But that was NOT an amicable split, maybe it's not always like that.
Heh ... the only thing about my split that is amicable is that we agree on the divorce, we don't agree on anything further.

I would not take ANY chances, JR. Things are going too well right now. No need to give Mrs. JR any ammunition.
That is quite true. I was actually just looking ahead ... FAR ahead in case there seems to be any potential. I have already shut down a few things that could have had the appearance of :poop: .

I really am staying on the straight and narrow. :)

I would never ever date a lady lawyer. My wife is difficult enough for me. I cannot imagine dating someone worst than her. No way
:Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

You may be right my friend. Much like ordering too much off the menu, I may be 'ordering' too much woman eh? :lmao: :lmao:

I appreciate the responses! :) This has been a very difficult time - while I feel good about where things are at now I know those feelings will continue to fluctuate.

JR

I appreciate the responses! :) This has been a very difficult time - while I feel good about where things are at now I know those feelings will continue to fluctuate.
Yeah, I went thru a divorce myself - amicable in that it was clearly unavoidable (but nothing I really wanted at the time) - You WILL experience a crazy rollercoaster ride of emotions as this slogs on and its best to allow yourself a chance to get your head together and those wide-ranging emotions reined in a little. It was well beyond 1 yr past my separation, and probably 9-10 mo. past the actual divorce, before I started dating again - funny how things work out that way, whether by choice or not -

JR - my dating advice is to look at the big picture. The woman you date could very well be your wife one day. And if that's the case, she may want to hyphenate her name. I think the whole changing your name thing is a little overrated anyway, it's not like there's something wrong with hers to start with.

Now normally, it's fine. But sometimes it's in everyone's best interests to just pick one name and go with it.

names you shouldn't hyphenate

JR, if you are just looking to get out of the house, tell the woman the whole truth and ask her for exactly that. Don't make it like a sob story, but say, "hey listen, I'm going thru this and am looking to meet some new people and get out of the house a few times a month, do you want to catch a ball game with me sometime?" You aren't hitting on her, you aren't dateing her, you are becoming friends.... if it goes on from there, then it does.... or maybe she'll invite you out with a group of her friends and you'll meet someone else that your interested in at a later point in time. It is not difficult to have a relationship with someone of the opposite sex that isn't anything more then two people sharing simliar interests and stuff. Right now just focus on meeting people rather then meeting someone.... hope I've provided you with something!

Yeah, I went thru a divorce myself - amicable in that it was clearly unavoidable (but nothing I really wanted at the time) - You WILL experience a crazy rollercoaster ride of emotions as this slogs on and its best to allow yourself a chance to get your head together and those wide-ranging emotions reined in a little. It was well beyond 1 yr past my separation, and probably 9-10 mo. past the actual divorce, before I started dating again - funny how things work out that way, whether by choice or not -
I hear ya!

I have been focusing on letting all of the 'bad' things that happened go - I stopped trying to reason or rationalize or explain how this happened. I have even let go of trying to be 'right' - I just want to be happy. With the right attitude I think that is totally doable! :plusone: I figured my positive attitude would be helped along a little with some companionship. :)

JR - my dating advice is to look at the big picture. The woman you date could very well be your wife one day. And if that's the case, she may want to hyphenate her name. I think the whole changing your name thing is a little overrated anyway, it's not like there's something wrong with hers to start with.
Now normally, it's fine. But sometimes it's in everyone's best interests to just pick one name and go with it.

names you shouldn't hyphenate
Thanks for the perspective fudgey! I will probably worry about the last name thing a little further down the road ....

JR, if you are just looking to get out of the house, tell the woman the whole truth and ask her for exactly that. Don't make it like a sob story, but say, "hey listen, I'm going thru this and am looking to meet some new people and get out of the house a few times a month, do you want to catch a ball game with me sometime?" You aren't hitting on her, you aren't dateing her, you are becoming friends.... if it goes on from there, then it does.... or maybe she'll invite you out with a group of her friends and you'll meet someone else that your interested in at a later point in time. It is not difficult to have a relationship with someone of the opposite sex that isn't anything more then two people sharing simliar interests and stuff. Right now just focus on meeting people rather then meeting someone.... hope I've provided you with something!
Thank you very much for the perspective.

I have been honest with everyone about where things are at in the divorce proceeding - basically I am waiting for a final hearing to see how things get split. I have been out with people since my separation but everyone has been from work - that doesn't pose much of a challenge as I feel comfortable knowing that I will not be dating someone from work. However, when it comes to other datable acquaintences, I have become completely tongue-tied - something I NEVER expected given that I usually have a pretty decent gift for gab.

I think if I look at it from your perspective and call it what it is - NOT a date - that should improve my approach and my general tendency to start blathering as of late.

Thanks for advice and perspective! :)

JR

Hey guys I am thinking about popping the question one of these days. We've been dating for nearly a year and have been thinking about maybe moving in together when our current leases run out.

Am I getting too swept up in the moment here and thinking too much with my heart? I'm 31 and not getting any younger but at the same time it's not a topic we've really discussed so I don't know for sure what she thinks.

Maybe what I need to do is try to to approach the topic casually sometime and see where she see things going long term.

The other interesting thing was that her mom made an off handed remark about the AC Slatering incident. I tried to cover things up with an explanation but I don't think she bought it. I was surprised she remembered it.

I say hold the wedding on the catwalk above the activated sludge tanks at the local WWTP. Hold the reception outside on the sludge drying beds.

Instead of clinking their glasses when they want you to kiss, the guests can simply let out a robust fart.

I kid, but in all seriousness my wedding reception had no indoor plumbing. I've got a pic laying around of me walking out of an porto-crapper in a tux.

I say have that discussion about your long term desires. If she's still a ways off from thinking marriage, you don't want to shock her with your ticking clock.

I say have that discussion about your long term desires. If she's still a ways off from thinking marriage, you don't want to shock her with your ticking clock.
I agree with VT, see if the long term goals/desires are similar to yours.

Hey guys I am thinking about popping the question one of these days.
Hold up.

I want you to do me a favor.

Take the happiest you've ever been in your life. Think about it. Rank that a 10.

Then take how you feel now, and compare it to that moment on a scale of 1-10.

Okay, now, take the rank that you gave right now, and subtract three from it.

If you get married, that's your new ceiling.

Sad, but true.

I kid, I kid! I'm happy being married. Most of the time.

Hey guys I am thinking about popping the question one of these days. We've been dating for nearly a year and have been thinking about maybe moving in together when our current leases run out.
Wow fudgey .. has it really been that LONG! Kudos to you dude ..

As far as popping questions .. think long and hard my friend.

If she can live your butt, I'd say she's the marrying kind...
I would be careful of her advice ... she seems devious! :asthanos:

If you get married, that's your new ceiling.
Sad, but true.
I think you are being optimistic ....

says the guy getting divorced ....

My wife's advice would be,
"Don't do it! Run away!!"
There is a voice of reason! :D

JR

I think this sums up my feelings:

koszulki_13.jpg

In fact, I bought this T-shirt

Back