How Long for California to Review App and Issue License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we are talking about different things. In California we have to take the Seismic and Surveying. After you complete all the required exams CA issues licenses bi-weekly. I believe you are talking about CA reviewing a license from reciprocity from another state, so that you can qualify to take the CA specific exams, correct? That might take 6-8 weeks.
I am documenting the timing from when I've submitted a completed application for a PE (Electrical, so no state specific exams) to license issuance.

This is my timeline to-date: 

4-5-2019:    NCEES PE Exam
5-14-2019:    NCEES Exam Result - CA
5-23-2019:    PE App mailed at USPS
5-28-2019:    PE App received at BPELSG mail room
5-30-2019:    PE App fee check stamp (day 2 after package received)
6-4-2019:    PE App fee check cashed (day 7 after package received)
7-10-2019:    PE App in Technical Review
7-24-2019:    Technical Review request for more info
8-9-2019:    Re-Submit at USPS
8-12-2019:    Received at BPELSG mail room
8-13-2019:    Received email for approval for licensure
8-16-2019:    Received license number on DCA website
9-3-2019:    Received paper ID
9-15-2019:    Received wall certificate

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my timeline to-date: 

4-5-2019:    NCEES PE Exam
5-14-2019:    NCEES Exam Result - CA
5-23-2019:    PE App mailed at USPS
5-28-2019:    PE App received at BPELSG mail room
5-30-2019:    PE App fee check stamp (day 2 after package received)
6-4-2019:    PE App fee check cashed (day 7 after package received)
That almost perfectly aligns with mine.

That almost perfectly aligns with mine.
Right now, I am just hoping that no news is good news.  

I did not know about the bi-weekly number issuance until I found this thread, so I was checking DCA license search at least twice daily.  

I see your title still says 'Intern.'  No updates I take it?
Nothing happened for me last Friday.  Waited till 6PM when something finally got posted.  

Now need to wait for another 2 weeks.  

On another note, I did not know we can change that title.  I thought it's just rank on the board.  

Nothing happened for me last Friday.  Waited till 6PM when something finally got posted.  

Now need to wait for another 2 weeks.  

On another note, I did not know we can change that title.  I thought it's just rank on the board.  
It may be.  I have no idea lol.  I just assumed that since you hadn't said anything that meant no word from the state.  I jumped on the title as a starter.

@CAPLS, this is more of an internal type question so hopefully you don't mind it being directed at you.  Can you confirm that we should receive an email indicating advancement to technical review prior to any approval (evidence on this forum appears anecdotal at best).  Or is it possible for an application to go through all the internal steps and the applicant only receive notification once approved provided no issues present along the way?

@CAPLS, this is more of an internal type question so hopefully you don't mind it being directed at you.  Can you confirm that we should receive an email indicating advancement to technical review prior to any approval (evidence on this forum appears anecdotal at best).  Or is it possible for an application to go through all the internal steps and the applicant only receive notification once approved provided no issues present along the way?
The process is that once an application is sent for technical review, an email is sent to the applicant using the email address provided on the application.  Sometimes, emails from the Board join forces with socks and get lost in the nether world, so its always advisable to applicants to check their spam filters and jink mail folders just in case.

The process is that once an application is sent for technical review, an email is sent to the applicant using the email address provided on the application.  Sometimes, emails from the Board join forces with socks and get lost in the nether world, so its always advisable to applicants to check their spam filters and jink mail folders just in case.
Lol.  Understood and thank you!

@ETyahoo, any action on your side yet?  Nada for me.
Nothing on my end.  I was hoping to receive some sort of notification.  

I was searching around online. It seems sometimes it take up to 2 months to get an application into technical review, and 2 more months to get it technically approved.   

Nothing on my end.  I was hoping to receive some sort of notification.  

I was searching around online. It seems sometimes it take up to 2 months to get an application into technical review, and 2 more months to get it technically approved.   
Seems a tad excessive but what do I know..?

Back