Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the maytag were looking at has the SS inside, is that really worth it considering 10 years is probably all these things ever give you?
Also if your water has minerals in it the plastic ones get stained and look like carp.  SS you have a shot at cleaning them if you ever want to.  We also got the "quiet" one which basically just adds some fiberglass insulation around the tub.  It does deaden the sound some but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as "quiet".

What causes the fires?
In the older ones (2002-2006), there was a fault in the control board in the top right corner of the door that caught fire (I've seen over 500 of those fires).  In newer models (2016?), there is a proprietary power cord attachment in the bottom back right corner of the tub.  I've only seen 5 of those fires.

In the older ones (2002-2006), there was a fault in the control board in the top right corner of the door that caught fire (I've seen over 500 of those fires).  In newer models (2016?), there is a proprietary power cord attachment in the bottom back right corner of the tub.  I've only seen 5 of those fires.
Jeebus....

Good God.... what's the recourse for stuff like that?  Is there some regulatory body?  or is it just a matter of how many insurance payouts the company is willing to cover?

Were any fatalities or injuries involved??

Good God.... what's the recourse for stuff like that?  Is there some regulatory body?  or is it just a matter of how many insurance payouts the company is willing to cover?

Were any fatalities or injuries involved??
Consumer Product Safety Commission is supposed to force the manufacturer to issue a recall when a product is unsafe, but for whatever reason, they neglected to do so with the Electrolux dryers.  UL finally updated their standards for dryers to specifically address the issue with the dryers, so Electrolux was forced to change their design in about 2013.  But by that time, they had produced millions of the faulty ones. 

I haven't been involved with any Electrolux dryer fires that caused fatalities, but I'm sure there have been injuries.  By my estimate, I have looked at the 3rd most fires caused by that specific issue.  There was a guy that did a lot of exemplar testing that proved what the actual defect was, and he has looked at over 3,000 of them.  Electrolux told insurance companies that if they hired that particular expert, they would take the claim to trial...no exceptions.  So they essentially forced him out of the market.  There was another expert that was the one that testified at a class-action lawsuit against Electrolux, which they actually settled (of course, without admitting any fault).  I just assume he has seen more of them than I have, but he may not have.

Insurance companies will always cover the losses, up to what your policy covers.  What I deal with is the insurance company suing the manufacturer to recover what they paid on the loss.  It's a specific type of lawsuit called subrogation.  It's the vast majority of the work that I do.

Once again, that's a cool job that you've got, with some pretty impressive impact. 

There was a guy that did a lot of exemplar testing that proved what the actual defect was, and he has looked at over 3,000 of them.  Electrolux told insurance companies that if they hired that particular expert, they would take the claim to trial...no exceptions.  So they essentially forced him out of the market.
Will:  I'm not sure I understand this.  Are you saying that Electrolux has been settling out of court and paying the subrogation claims, but if the plaintiff hires this expert they won't settle and will go to trial?  So what, if the guy has definitive proof of a faulty design then Electrolux should lose at trial, correct?  I guess I don't understand the "threat".

Will:  I'm not sure I understand this.  Are you saying that Electrolux has been settling out of court and paying the subrogation claims, but if the plaintiff hires this expert they won't settle and will go to trial?  So what, if the guy has definitive proof of a faulty design then Electrolux should lose at trial, correct?  I guess I don't understand the "threat".
Correct.  Taking a case to trial is exorbitantly expensive, so most insurance companies would rather settle.  Using an expert with a lot of knowledge of a particular failure mode is typically a good way to get a settlement.  But Electrolux was so pissed at that particular expert that they told insurance companies they wouldn't settle any claim when he was involved.  Electrolux is using staff engineers as their experts and staff attorneys in court, so it doesn't cost them as much to take something to trail as it does the plaintiff.  

completed the dishwasher install last night - i had the strangest water drain line connection I have ever seen, not sure what they builders Gerry rigged but the actual dishwasher install was a snap, the drain line took 3 trips to lowes- the included hose and the drain hose was so odd I just ended up making my own (it has to travel a long ways) but F'n annoying..

Also in other news, and I think I have griped about this before, it appears Home Depot doesn't actually stock any appliances anymore, everything is delivered - what a PIA - maybe I am in the minority but some of us just like to take it F'n home that day....

Went with the Maytag SS model USA  

Having a new indirect fired water heater installed today under warranty. My current one started leaking after 10 years. Luckily weil-mclain is honoring their lifetime warranty.

Since it rained most of the weekend I made a trial run at some Adirondack chairs- had most of the lumber from another project, since these are pine will defin have to give them a heavy coat of paint - plan to make the next two out of leftover snowboards and skis! maybe $30 bucks in wood and $2000 in billable hours into this ;)   Never have all the **** tools you need..

IMG_1012.JPGIMG_1013.JPG

Shitty pic but the front feet are "rounded" that took me some time ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember if I shared this when I did it, but made this thing out of wine barrel rings. it's f-in heavy!!! but I like it much better than the lampshade the sellers hung from the ceiling. also took me like 7 tries of connecting the wires and securing the fixture because there was no give at all and they kept coming undone. woo!

image.png

this was my engineering mind put to work to install this with only one set of hands. super stable. 

62164987_309456153293801_2608570669515931648_n.jpg

Planning to remove a 10' span of load bearing wall - any structural engineering advice?  Can a lumber yard size the beam for me or am I needing more in depth than that.

Thinking a two ply 11" lvl beam

A doubled up 2 X 12 will carry a lot of weight, for a residential application.

Planning to remove a 10' span of load bearing wall - any structural engineering advice?  Can a lumber yard size the beam for me or am I needing more in depth than that.

Thinking a two ply 11" lvl beam
It is best to contact a structural engineer to size it for you. While the span is important,  you also need to figure out the load that will be on the beam. It may just be regular floor load, or you may have a point load above that you need to take into consideration.  You also need to determine if you want a flush girder or a dropped girder. If going with flush girder the existing joists will dictate how deep the beam can be. You may be able to do a 3-1/2×11-7/8 microllam, or if floor joists are 2x8, you girder me be limuted to a 7-1/2" depth. 

Back