Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a french door fridge they actually like?  All I see are horror stories.  My sister is on her THIRD refrigerator in less than a year.  I will not buy another Samsung electronic device of any kind.

I wouldn't say I love it, but the house we bought has the higher end GE side by side and its at least 10 years old. not sure the exact model, the only thing that we don't like is the ice maker, it makes ice but the part that pushes the ice to the "little door that drops ice into my glass" has broke 2X and now we just grab ice the old fashioned way..

but those **** things are crazy expensive now, I am dreading when I actually have to go get one, but I wont be getting the one that has the see through screen, wife enabled, version that's $5G's

Ugh, my GE dishwasher is a POS.  Lowes has a Whirlpool on sale for about $1500 that looks very similar to the one we have now, but I haven't been enamored with my WP microwave.

I don't know if Maytag makes fridges, but they are my appliance manufacturer of choice -

We have a whirlpool french door fridge at my house.

I think it works ok. Shutting the door with the folding seal is kinda weird though. If the doors don't seal, the fridge will warn you too.

We have a whirlpool french door fridge at my house.

I think it works ok. Shutting the door with the folding seal is kinda weird though. If the doors don't seal, the fridge will warn you too.
That's what I've read.  Something about you have to always open/close one door before the other?

We have an older (2010-ish) GE one (bottom freezer) and haven't had any issues with it.  I don't like the design of the inside of the fridge because there's a lot of wasted space, but no issues with the french doors.  And no, you can open either or both doors.  There's a folding piece of plastic on one door that retracts when you open it.

My wife had another bottom freezer with french doors and loved it.  But it was too big to fit in our house when we moved.

We have an older (2010-ish) GE one (bottom freezer) and haven't had any issues with it.  I don't like the design of the inside of the fridge because there's a lot of wasted space, but no issues with the french doors.  And no, you can open either or both doors.  There's a folding piece of plastic on one door that retracts when you open it.

My wife had another bottom freezer with french doors and loved it.  But it was too big to fit in our house when we moved.
That's how my Samsung is.  Unfortunately, it's got a massive design flaw which results in recurring freezing of the evap coils, to the point where it starts making contact with the fan, and then stops cooling altogether.  They issued a band-aid fix which I already did (a little metal tab that hangs off the defroster coil to try to keep the drain line from icing up), but that too has stopped working.  So I have a $3000 hunk of **** that dispenses moldy ice/water, doesn't cool, and dumps water/ice all over the floor due to the defrost issue.

Ugh, my GE dishwasher is a POS.  Lowes has a Whirlpool on sale for about $1500 that looks very similar to the one we have now, but I haven't been enamored with my WP microwave.
What year is your GE...?They have made some signifcant improvements...You might want to look at a newer model.

Probably around 9 years old.
Yep.  Check the features and the ratings on the newer models...We had a 1st Gen GE Cafe and didn't love it, but when we get our appliance package for the new house, we'll probably get a new one...We really did love every other appliance in the group, though...I saved my fridge.  It's in storage.  Thinking about moving out the landlord's brand new Samsung.

I need to grab a portable (in the room) ac today.  We have window units for the BRs but Mrs MA is going to be home for 2-3 eeeks following a medical procedure and we don’t have AC in the back room where the TV is.  The windows out there are all big horizontal sliders so a conventional window AC won’t work.  I’m going to grab this one because it’s in stock at HD.

anyone have any input or suggestions on something else?

thanks

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-8-000-BTU-5-500-BTU-DOE-Portable-Air-Conditioner-115-Volt-w-Dehumidifier-Function-and-LCD-Remote-in-White-LP0817WSR/300422892

sh*t.  I've got a 12 year old floor model Frigidaire that cost $800 (side by side).  Never had an issue.  Just like cars, the more gidgets and gadgets your fridge has, the more problems and more expensive they get.

I need to grab a portable (in the room) ac today.  We have window units for the BRs but Mrs MA is going to be home for 2-3 eeeks following a medical procedure and we don’t have AC in the back room where the TV is.  The windows out there are all big horizontal sliders so a conventional window AC won’t work.  I’m going to grab this one because it’s in stock at HD.

thanks

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-8-000-BTU-5-500-BTU-DOE-Portable-Air-Conditioner-115-Volt-w-Dehumidifier-Function-and-LCD-Remote-in-White-LP0817WSR/300422892
We have something similar and it works well for one large room - but if it runs for say an hour or more then the amount of cold air delivered drops substantially. (like it needs a break every hour).

Our house AC unit is at least a 0.5 ton sized too small, I had hoped it would infuse some cold air into the whole upstairs and cool the larger upstairs some but it is pretty much a window unit that you don't have to hang out your window.

thanks

We have two of them.  The downside is that they are loud.   You’ll want to make sure you get the one that you don’t need to empty a condensate bucket.  Some will evaporate the condensate and send it out with the condenser exhaust air.

Some have single and some have double condenser side hoses.  The single hose type will pull air from an adjacent room which can be bad if the room is large and has no doors. 

thanks

I have an off-brand one very similar that we use to cool our upstairs bedroom.  Got it on sale at Menards for about $180 last year and have been pretty happy with it.

Waiting to see if AC will get covered under warranty.  Replacement Carrier board/kit is $200+ in addition to labor costs looking online.  Or, a direct match used board is $29.  Wonder how hard it is to swap on my own, or if there is damage elsewhere in the system.

I bought the LG and went for the larger 10000 btu unit.  $360.  It seems to work well but overnight lows are in the 60s so I didn’t use it last night.  We’re supposed to be hot/humid for the next several days so it should get a decent test.  Wife seems happy,

Waiting to see if AC will get covered under warranty.  Replacement Carrier board/kit is $200+ in addition to labor costs looking online.  Or, a direct match used board is $29.  Wonder how hard it is to swap on my own, or if there is damage elsewhere in the system.

For $29 I wouldn't hesitate to try it at least.  If you can build a car you should be able to swap an HVAC control board--those things are usually pretty plug-and-play.  Just take a picture before you start unhooking anything.  And then if something else is wrong then you've only wasted $29 instead of $200+

Back