Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damage ended up being more extensive.  Nothing covered because it was actually the furnace control board which was existing.  It was bad enough that it even trashed the transformer windings.  It's not cost effective to replace sink the necessary costs into a 20 year old furnace, so we're going to replace the whole unit.

Am how long have y’all been without AC?

We once went 4.3 days with no AC in the summer in Atlanta and it was probably the hardest 4.3 days of our lives... probably should have gotten 4.3 tattood on all our arms or something...

Thankfully we're dual zoned, so upstairs has been out since Saturday, but the downstairs is still working.  Once you go up about 6 steps, its like a blast furnace, easily over 100 degrees up there.  Downstairs is doing its best to keep it in the low 70's.  We all slept in the living room last night.

We should be up and running tomorrow.  They're coming at 8am to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here is a no update on my sprinkler deli mina (not that anyone cares) :D

This spring I replaced the sprinkler controller with one of them fancy  wifi models, the thought was that I could easily turn off zones and narrow down the leak. After bypassing the feature that turned the unit off if any rain was detected "on the internets" it actually works great I have to admit.

The previous owners liked their grass green and moist -   I am probably watering about half what they were watering - and what I have been doing is once a week for the last month I have ran one zone a week (very heavy) and now I have gone through all 4 zones and there isn't a drop of water at all where I had the leak the last 3 years - Is it possible that they just watered so damn much that the water drifted to the low point in the yard and it just didn't have anywhere to go?

Ive got a pic somewhere but basically the water in my backyard all drains to one point where my neighbors have a raised concrete patio that blocks any water from traversing.

We have had some heavy rains this summer and the former "pond" doesn't hold water for regular rain events.

so strange, I want to declare victory but I know once I turn all 4 of the backyard zones one again it will likely fill up again.. but heh, at least were only 3 months away from Fall Snow!

here is the pic - this is from last year - the red is where the pond was -

checked my water bill and were using 30K less gallons per month?  The bill for July read 10T (which I am assuming means thousands) and July 2018 it was 40T?  maybe I dug up my yard last year for nothing?

& yes I realize I am just talking to myself :D

Byard.jpg

yeah but one would think the heavy rains would also fill in the "pond"?  I'm just going to attribute it to overwatering and call it done!

I finished building a roof over our deck this weekend.  I will never do that sh*t again.  At least not in the dead of summer.  I survived, but it was f'ing HOT and I'm still feeling like ass.

I've deliberately stalled redoing our deck just because the heat has been intolerable.  

ive had my lift kit in the garage since spring when it was too cold to wrench and now its too hot to wrench, hope I manage to catch one of the 2 fall weekends before it gets cold again to get this thing on!

yeah that defin sounds like a Fall project! Do you even have Fall in the bayou?
Well, I tore the old deck down and built the new deck same time last year.  Never said I was smart.  "Fall"?  Occasionally.  Typically, though, trees lose their leaves every year when new leaves push the old ones out of the way.

I've deliberately stalled redoing our deck just because the heat has been intolerable.  
Sissy

Damn straight.

That, and it's been so humid here this summer, the mosquitoes obliterate you after about 5 seconds outside.  I don't know what it is about this year, but the humidity has been bad.  And that's coming from someone who spent July and August working at the sea port in Houston a while back.  Even with dual zone AC in the house, it's not even putting a dent in the moisture in the air.  I even had to go around and shave all the doors down.

So in the never ending quest for storage space I am going to put some shelves above where my garage door is - Ive been looking around the internets and it seems like most people support them from the ceiling with 2X4's - I was thinking of using some lightweight angle iron (stuff you can buy at home depot) and then using some kind of metal straps to support the weight from the angle iron (which I would lag screw to the ceiling)?

Anyone done something similar? 

In the pic below, red would be the actual shelf (2X4 fram with plywood) - dark blue the angle iron, and light blue the straps (metal) 

You cant tell from this photo but I will be able to anchor the sides to the side of the garage as well.  Seems like a great use of wasted space

Garage.jpg

I would just use 2x4's and thin plywood with a few vertical struts.

I built some off to the side and just used particle board, I can climb on them and they are great, but I just need more! 

I guess 2x4's would be easier - I saw these two and would do something similar:

0f5ac11361f52fbf9d4b4fb0ffc69450.jpg1472330ed954d9c8a00c87d9591b47f9.jpg

I have those shitty wire shelves, and I would switch to a setup like that in a heartbeat if I had the motivation.

This is the only pic I have on me so ignore the mess (I was taking pics of my jeep hardtop hoist)

But I made these on the side of the garage, the previous owner left those 2X12's under the porch so they were free & sturdy AF! 

I plan to spend this weekend gutting some stuff in the garage but I could still use some more space, since we finished the basement I just dont have a ton of room - but these shelves were pretty easy to do, biggest PIA was getting the 4X8 sheets of plywood home.

Note this pic is about 3 years old and most of the shit in this pic is already gone.. 

IMG_0726.JPG

I have a workbench built that way and that's how I did my shed shelving too.  

Back