Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on renting an excavator and have truck/trailer to move it. Prelim pool dimensions put me at around 100 CY so even with some place to go with the spoil I'll still have to get a small dump truck to haul it.I think the typical load is about 14 CY. I'll have to price that out for sure. If I am not able to save at least 60% over what the installed price would be I don't see it being worth the hassle.
Put something on Craigslist or your local FB Marketplace.  You may get find someone looking for fill who would be willing to haul it away.

So i bought what I call an "Obama" sprinkler system controller - Orbit B-Hyve - it came with a $100 rebate (received and I already cashed that check!)

I really like the set up as it can be controlled 100% by an app on your phone - It allowed me to easily turn zones off - which I was using to try and narrow down where my leak is - but my gripe is that it is dialed into your WIFI location and if any rain shows up at all then it turns the sprinkler off for 3 days, I am down with saving water but living in the mix of the desert / mountains / plains it can be a torrential downpour  a block away and dry as a bone at my house.  I tried changing my zip code on the controller to Las Vegas where it hardly rains and it auto changed it back to my actual zip code.

Gonna see if there is a way around this and if not will be taking it back to the home depot this weekend and getting another version that is more flexible.

So i bought what I call an "Obama" sprinkler system controller - Orbit B-Hyve - it came with a $100 rebate (received and I already cashed that check!)

I really like the set up as it can be controlled 100% by an app on your phone - It allowed me to easily turn zones off - which I was using to try and narrow down where my leak is - but my gripe is that it is dialed into your WIFI location and if any rain shows up at all then it turns the sprinkler off for 3 days, I am down with saving water but living in the mix of the desert / mountains / plains it can be a torrential downpour  a block away and dry as a bone at my house.  I tried changing my zip code on the controller to Las Vegas where it hardly rains and it auto changed it back to my actual zip code.

Gonna see if there is a way around this and if not will be taking it back to the home depot this weekend and getting another version that is more flexible.
I’ve got my eyes on the Rainbird ST80-WIFI for mine; also allows control from your phone. You can attach an external rain sensor to it, so that the timer stops when it “actually” rains. Seems like there is the question of whether or not this is used in conjunction with the weather forecast, though.

From the description of the ST80 it is similar to the Orbit - I cant seem to find a way around the #3 - It wont even test a zone if the "internets" say it rained in the last 24 hours -

I may just put my dinosaur back up.

Built from the existing feature rich Rain Bird ST8 platform, the ST8 2.0 offers faster connection speeds as well as multiple added features including: 1) EPA Watersense certification, which will allow customers to submit to municipalities for rebates; 2) better understanding of water usage through statistics/reporting capabilities; 3) automatic watering shutoff for forested rain; 4) improved custom manual watering from the Rain Bird app

After spending too much time chasing down other problems with the sprinker controller, I basically just did a CTRL-ALT-DEl and now that God **** thing seems to be working fine - I went ahead and entered my zip zode as Las Vegas, NV so hopefully that will end the auto shut off rain feature!

have an appt monday afternoon with a landscape contractor to give the backyard a facelift.  The current concrete patio has settled towards the house and it pitted and etched and nasty.  we are thinking a new stamped concrete patio with a pergola sort of feature then a smaller flagstone type flat area behind the garage for a level surface for working on the mower etc... and replacing the mulch around the house with stone and maybe another landscape/planting in part of the old pool depression area.  nothing super fancy but the pictures of this company's work is pretty awesome.  

I'm on vacation the week after next, when Mrs. Supe and Junior head to their annual 2 week trip to Vermont.  Finally going to get around to doing a decorative gravel surround for the fire pit.  It will likely take me about 2 yard of rock to do it.  I am praying that my gate post isn't anchored so that I can pull the aluminum fence out and drive the truck back there, but I have a feeling I'm screwed.  Not looking forward to shoveling and moving nearly 3 tons of stone via wheelbarrow.

our dishwasher died yesterday - went looking at replacements at lunch - when in the **** did the average price of a dishwasher get into the $600 range?

Around the same time they all turned into absolute pieces of ****.

Maytag still good?  That's what I am leaning on going with - The GE that died was the higher end and it did last 12 years... Current situation with all three kids at home is not good :D

My GE is hot garbage.  Control board basically just does whatever it feels like half the time.

Our GE washer gave out after a little under 3 years; the drive failed on us, and the replacement was as expensive as the washer. Replaced it with a (more expensive) LG. Love it.

Counting down the days until our GE dryer also goes kaput.

our dishwasher died yesterday - went looking at replacements at lunch - when in the **** did the average price of a dishwasher get into the $600 range?

Around the same time they all turned into absolute pieces of ****.
YOu beat me to this!!!  I was going to say the same thing.  Our new one is horrible!!!   Its a whirlpool, mid level.  nothing super fancy Almost wish we spent the$ on new racks for the old one instead.  Our water is so hard the racks on our old ones rusted out.  A new dishwasher was cheaper than replacement racks.  

Not to get political, but for the past year or so there's been a 20% tariff on imported washing machines, which ups the price about $100 on average.

YOu beat me to this!!!  I was going to say the same thing.  Our new one is horrible!!!   Its a whirlpool, mid level.  nothing super fancy Almost wish we spent the$ on new racks for the old one instead.  Our water is so hard the racks on our old ones rusted out.  A new dishwasher was cheaper than replacement racks.  
I can't recall how old our current mid-level Maytag is (at least 10+) but the racks are rusting a bit.  Still on the fence about trying to clean/recoat them or just buying a new dishwasher.  We paid the extra money and got a SS interior.  I think it's worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maytag is still made in USA  and the Bosch stuff was a little more, not $100 more but maybe $20 bucks more

the range was pretty tight with 2-3 really cheap POS at the bottom range but most stuff in the $600-$700 range for the "typical models"

I just seem to think the last time I bought a dishwasher the "high end" was $500..

I think the maytag were looking at has the SS inside, is that really worth it considering 10 years is probably all these things ever give you?

Stainless steel is worth the extra price if you plan on being anywhere near the kitchen while it's running.  The plastic tub models are loud as hell.

I don't inspect dishwashers, but I know that they all have their issues.  FWIW, I have a Bosch that I got free from work (just had to replace the water valve).  But Bosch has a bad track record for fire recalls.  They all have one of the following four problems: 

1. Terrible water valves that either leak through the valve or the armature guide fractures.

2.  Leaking door seals.

3.  Leaking shaft seal on drain pump.

4.  Leaking sump seal.

Back