getting licensed as a CA S.E.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biged

Mild Mannered Civil Engineer
Reaction score
I just read this notice on the CA Board website regarding getting licensed as a structural engineer in CA after April 2011.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/about_us/meetings/a...ate_se_exam.pdf

Yes, I understand that CA will be using the new NCEES 16-hour exam and the CA S.E. Seismic Exam is supposedly going away. However, as I read on, it seemed as if there will be still a state-specific exam as the new test takes effect.

Am I missing something?!? Anyone care to help me understand?

If member CAPELS is reading this, I'd love to hear any clarifying information he may have. In particular, I would love to know if we would now be required to take NCEES 16-hour S.E. Exam + that awful S.E. III again.

Yes, things are changing but no one knows what it will be just yet.

The CA state government requires a state specific exam for their SE license. With the new 16 hour SE exam, they may simply still keep that good old 8 hour SE3 exam or remake it into something smaller. (maybe a 2.5 hour or 4 hour state specific exam.)

I suppose that we should all just stay tuned for now.

The CA state government requires a state specific exam for their SE license. With the new 16 hour SE exam, they may simply still keep that good old 8 hour SE3 exam or remake it into something smaller. (maybe a 2.5 hour or 4 hour state specific exam.)

Personally, I'm tired of the elitist CA PELS board and/or policy makers. It's ridiculous.

Thanks kevo_55. I guess the only option is to sit tight. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm staying tuned for a horror movie.

My understanding from sources close to topic is that the intent of the change to the 16-hour NCEES format is to unify the SE designation across the US. Thus state specific SEIII exams will go away and comity between states should be more streamlined. Of course the final say is at each state level.

^^ No problem.

Heck, I'm just glad that if I don't pass that I'll have another crack at it.

^^ No problem.
Heck, I'm just glad that if I don't pass that I'll have another crack at it.
Let's just hope you and I did. Personally, I don't relish the thought of taking my books from NC to So. Cal. I'm having real trouble convincing myself that this is all worth it. I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

Hi, Guys: I am trying to catch the last shot of SEIII next October. But I got stuck by Reference. It is really hard to find 3 reference with SE in CA for people out of sttae. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

biged,
Fingers are crossed for the both of us!
:mf_bounce8:

zhoutt8,

Are you trying to take the CA SE3? While I agree it is quite hard to get your references, I would recommend taking a look at the last page of this PDF: http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/seappinst.pdf

You can contact SEAOC and get your signed reference papers simply by having them review some of your work.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try.

zhoutt8,
Are you trying to take the CA SE3? While I agree it is quite hard to get your references, I would recommend taking a look at the last page of this PDF: http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/seappinst.pdf

You can contact SEAOC and get your signed reference papers simply by having them review some of your work.

I hope this helps!

Has anybody tried SEAOC before? Is it as simple as just sample work review? I read their detail, looks like they need you be there for an interview, which is not convenient for out -of state people like me.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/seappinst.pdf
Way back when I emailed Lee Adler (I think) and he told me their review through SEAOC was pretty thorough. He recommended that I try getting references from people I know, which is what I eventually did even though the people I knew didn't know me all that well.

I believe that if you have a decent body of work, you shouldn't have a problem with SEAOC members signing off on your reference sheets. I look at it this way, what have you got to lose? Might as well give it a try, right? All they can do is say no.

Hope this helps.

Back