Games of the XXX Olympiad

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about roshambo, or nut punt

Dang, Dex beat me to it

Last edited by a moderator:
how annoying is this... Bow tie Bob walked thru the office today saying (nearly a shout)

"Spoiler Alert... We just took gold.. yada yada..."

I thought the purpose of a spoiler alert was to let people know to cover their ears, eyes, etc etc...

Bow tie Bob annoys me often.

a-tuesday-dar-23.jpg

Wait, that ain't right... Here's the right photo:

fit-girls-500-6.jpg

I just looked up what this handball game is... holy crap... stupid. I really, really cannot think of a dumber game / "sport".

Found it. If you get a chance, you should look-up some of the videos on youtube. These guys are flipping awesome (pun intended).

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Sepak_takraw
That's awesome to watch, but looks like it would be nearly impossible to get into (ya know, unless you can do a somersault bicycle kick multiple times during a point). Even the serve is ridiculous. Those guys stand with one foot on the ground and kick a ball above their head over the net. Looks like Thailand and Malaysia are the only teams worth a damn.

Of course Michael phelps has the most medals won...he competes in more events than most other people...swimming and track/field are events were there are a ton of opportunities to try for medals. somce people would never even have that chance in their entire lifetime because they are a single medal event.

Yeah, he's amazing, but you are right, he has the most opportunities. T&F, gymnastics, and swimming have chance for multiple medals.

I'm sure no marathon winner has won 4 medals in a particular games.

Of course Michael phelps has the most medals won...he competes in more events than most other people...swimming and track/field are events were there are a ton of opportunities to try for medals. somce people would never even have that chance in their entire lifetime because they are a single medal event.
They were talking about that on ESPN this morning. Kind of hard to compete with the medal count for swimming and track & field events if you're in any other sport.

As a former swimmer, let me shed some light on this. Being good in one, two, or three events is typical of most swimmers (I was good at 100 / 200 Br. and 50 free). Being good in five or six events is rare. Being holy bat sh*t spectacular in five or six events AND each stroke just does not happen. Someone built for a 400 IM just doesn't fit the bill for the 100 free and vice versa. Yet, Phelps was able to do it in 2008 AND GET A WORLD RECORD IN ALL BUT ONE EVENT. This includes two races that were the same night within an hour of each other (Gold and WR in both).

People cast all of these "more opportunities therefore it doesn't mean as much" arguments into the picture because it's easy, but they just don't understand how swimming works. Phelps is a freak of swimming. He's a freak of an athlete. I don't place him on a pedestal and worship him, but respect should be given when it's due.

People cast all of these "more opportunities therefore it doesn't mean as much" arguments into the picture because it's easy, but they just don't understand how swimming works. Phelps is a freak of swimming. He's a freak of an athlete. I don't place him on a pedestal and worship him, but respect should be given when it's due.
Did I miss that? Who said that?

It's an implied message. If the whole "more opportunities" line of thought is being discussed, it's obvious that the quality of a gymnast's medal count is greater than the quality of a swimmer's medal count.

Being good in five or six events is rare.
Most Olympians don't even get the chance to participate in five or six medal events.
That's because not only do you have to meet the qualifying times for Olympic Trials (swimming, for instance), but you also have to finish first or second at trials to represent your country in that one event just to get the opportunity to be in the top three for a medal.

Honest question, MS...why does Phelps wear a simsuit that looks about 4 sizes too smal, and is about to show off his junk and crack? Is there some sort of fluid dynamic advantage to that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honest question, MS...why does Phelps wear a simsuit that looks about 4 sizes too smal, and is about to show off his junk and crack? Is there some sort of fluid dynamic advantage to that?
the divers' suits are even smaller...their moms must be mortified. "is that my son's butt crack on international television?"

Back