Games of the XXX Olympiad

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mind the cool weather, it was actually kinda refreshing. I just didn't do my homework before I packed my bags.

It takes more than 90 to kill 'thousands.' You get one of those weeks where it's 105 the whole time, and the only fatalities you hear about are a handful of sick and elderly people living on the 15th floor of a high rise with no AC.

My theory on vacation traveling is go where it's cool during the summer, and go where it's warm in the winter.

Spent last night flipping back and forth between the olympics and The Godfather.

Leave the gun; take the cannolis.

Mom and dad were in Europe for the 'big heat wave' that, according to the Cassandras in the media, killed thousands in Europe. Mom and Dad said, "Isn't wasn't bad at all. I don't think it even reached 95. It was 90 or so most of the time. Nice, really."
Keep in mind that there are plenty of places in Europe that don't have A/C, so 90 degrees for days on end can be brutally hot.

I miss the old days where you didn't know the outcome of the even until it was broadcast or the news anchor would tell you to turn away while they showed the results.

I was excited to see how the men's gymnastics team would do after coming in first in the prelims until about 4 PM when I saw the shit the bed and came in 5th.

The only live events they seem to showing are weird sports like handball or events that shouldn't be like ping pong.
I beg to differ. Olympic table tennis is nuckin' futs. Their hand-eye coordination works at speeds my brain can't begin to process.

Mom and dad were in Europe for the 'big heat wave' that, according to the Cassandras in the media, killed thousands in Europe. Mom and Dad said, "Isn't wasn't bad at all. I don't think it even reached 95. It was 90 or so most of the time. Nice, really."
Sounds awful to me.

^Me too, I'm a cold and snow type of guy.

I beg to differ. Olympic table tennis is nuckin' futs. Their hand-eye coordination works at speeds my brain can't begin to process.
Oh I agree they are very talented. I'd get smoked. It just doesn't scream Olympics to me like track or gymnastics or diving, etc.

Another gold for the US in men's skeet shooting this morning. :unitedstates:

I was having fun over the weekend watching some of the less mainstream sports (at least in the US). I saw doubles badminton, ladies table tennis, fencing, archery, and rowing. The kiddos love watching the diving and swimming events, Mrs Dex loves anything related to volleyball (she used to play in college), and I like watching the soccer matches. We are DVR'ing everything during the day and then watching the primetime events in the evening. Not sure when we'll actually get to watch any of it, but at least we have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm digging the less mainstream sports. My issue is that NBC doesn't do a good job of explaining the rules and regs of them.

I watched water polo and handball over the weekend. They were exciting and enjoyable to watch, but it's tough to get into it when you don't understand the premise of the rules and strategy.

Water polo has elements of hockey, swimming, hoops, soccer, and swimming. I just wish I knew how they fit together.

I'm also digging the Dutch field hockey team... but who isn't.

Google

Last edited by a moderator:
Water polo has elements of hockey, swimming, hoops, soccer, and swimming. I just wish I knew how they fit together.
It's more related to soccer rules and basketball for position strategy. I played a little club level in college, but I'm more or less the wrong build for it. I'm tall, but my muscle strength is in my legs and not my upper body. :(

RTR35JUI-jpg_143104.jpg

fxt

Only reason China is beating us in the medal count is because anytime the USA wins gold, the athlete gives it to China to help pay off the national debt...

During the commercial breaks in the Olympics, one of the sports depicted in a commercial looks like a mix between hacky-sack and volleyball. Anyone know what game that is?

Back