Games of the XXX Olympiad

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a game on yesterday (womens) where the had a soft ball that they could bounce or run with and pass back and forth (often throwing over hand like a football and the receiver was catching with one hand) The object was to get it into a goal that looked like a small soccer goal. Anyone know what sport that was? I have never seen it before. We were watching with a crowd and the volume was down very low so I couldn't hear the announcers.
Was it on a rubberized court like indoor volleyball? If so, it was probably handball...another sport that only appears in the Olympics. Seriously, how does one even get good at a game that obscure?

It was indoors and the court looked like it could've been rubberized. There was a line around the goal that seemed to act like a "key" or a blue line in hockey.

I thought handball was like racquetball without racquets.

It was indoors and the court looked like it could've been rubberized. There was a line around the goal that seemed to act like a "key" or a blue line in hockey.

I thought handball was like racquetball without racquets.
Nope, that was definitely handball. It reminds me of the game on the original American Gladiators where you had to put balls in those trapezoidal scoring baskets while getting pummeled by steroidal giants.

I love the Olympics. I've been watching the coverage these past couple of days on NBC and on the BBC website through a proxy. I don't have cable so I miss a bunch of the events on NBC Sports, etc. so it's nice to catch them on the BBC.

Stupid NBC and their Olympic coverage...I HAVE to stay up and watch even though I already read 5 hours before that the Americans took the silver in the 4 x 100 m freestyle.

Oh well, no sleep for the next two weeks...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm diggin the heptathlon. Watching some highlights, there was a girl on there who could shot put 17m.

I am confused,, earlier this evening there was women's beach volleyball, but there were no bikinis? Are the Olympics in Iran or England?

For some reason, they are holding beach volleyball matches at around 11 pm GMT in London. Temperatures were hovering around 60 degrees on the first night. Last night I was watching, and the line judges were wearing parkas, so I would assume it was even colder than 60. London doesn't get that warm during the day, but they are making the problem worse by having the matches late at night.

I went to England a few years back. Not London specifically, but about 100 miles away. I went in late August, and packed for summertime weather. I don't think I took my way too light jacket off the entire time. 58 and raining the whole time.

Also, which pillow biter picked out the theme for these games. Everything is decked out in hot pink or mauve.

For some reason, they are holding beach volleyball matches at around 11 pm GMT in London. Temperatures were hovering around 60 degrees on the first night. Last night I was watching, and the line judges were wearing parkas, so I would assume it was even colder than 60. London doesn't get that warm during the day, but they are making the problem worse by having the matches late at night.
The Americans aren't the only ones playing, they are just the only ones that NBC shows us. They held beach volleyball matches all day yesterday, it just happened that the American women's team didn't play until late last night.

http://www.london201...ly/all-day.html

I went to England a few years back. Not London specifically, but about 100 miles away. I went in late August, and packed for summertime weather. I don't think I took my way too light jacket off the entire time. 58 and raining the whole time.
Don't you Yankee's enjoy that sort of weather? Last time I was in England we had a heat wave while in London (highs in the 90's) followed by a week of cold and wind (but not much rain strangely). It's just how the place is. It is on a comparable latitude to Canada after all. We are really lucky that everything isn't covered in ice. ;)

Also, which pillow biter picked out the theme for these games. Everything is decked out in hot pink or mauve.
Do you not have a pair of shoes that go with mauve?

I miss the old days where you didn't know the outcome of the even until it was broadcast or the news anchor would tell you to turn away while they showed the results.

I was excited to see how the men's gymnastics team would do after coming in first in the prelims until about 4 PM when I saw the shit the bed and came in 5th.

The only live events they seem to showing are weird sports like handball or events that shouldn't be like ping pong.

Mom and dad were in Europe for the 'big heat wave' that, according to the Cassandras in the media, killed thousands in Europe. Mom and Dad said, "Isn't wasn't bad at all. I don't think it even reached 95. It was 90 or so most of the time. Nice, really."

Back