Game of Thrones ! (HBO Mini Series) Spoilers......

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if part of what drove her "mad" is that Tyrion was right and the people surrendered, basically meant she was wrong..
Yes about that I am still thinking what would make her destroy the city after they clearly rang the bell. I don't buy D&D's explanation that her childhood trauma made her burn nearly half a million people. Your explanation is more acceptable. 

But all in all I liked the episode,  I wonder if part of what drove her "mad" is that Tyrion was right and the people surrendered, basically meant she was wrong..
I suspected the same thing. She seemed fine leaving the civilians alone and was concentrating on the defenses until the bells started to ring. Then you saw the rage on her face and she started to torch everyone. 

So lets say Arya / Jon kill's Greyworm and Dany - it looked like there was enough unsullied left to be a problem if / when this happens.

Will they bow to Jon / Arya if they kill Greyworm since he is their leader?  What will they really do?  I wonder if well see some type of North versus Unsullied / Dothraki battle?

Probably wont happen but it would be cool to see a Gendry / Arya - King & Queen at the end.. I kind of wonder if EP 5, showing Arya's small size not very effective in an actual battle is going to make her rethink her life's purpose?

So lets say Arya / Jon kill's Greyworm and Dany - it looked like there was enough unsullied left to be a problem if / when this happens.
I think they're so programmed to follow rank, they would just listen to Tyrion since he effectively becomes their new leader.  Maybe alluding to this when he total them to get lost before freeing Jamie and they obliged with no resistance?

Could be a way to show everyone that Jon is really a Targaryan...psycho tries to torch him and it doesn't hurt him or if there turn out to be 3 little dragons like some of the rumors, they flock to Jon.

I think part of Dany's what drove Dany nuts is that she's an attention whore and people weren't fawning all over her once she got to Winterfell.  Up until now, everybody loved her.  At Winterfell, about the only thing she's been hearing is, "Meh, whatever."

Agree 100% and I don't think Jora and her advisors did her much good, she was basically told that she would show up and everyone would bow to her and let her assume the throne.

Maybe its best if the Targaryen's truly die off 

Wonder if we have seen the last of Yara?

47e9d105b5c56bd96585560828c4bad9.jpg

Cersei was a bit anti-climatic, but other than that, the wife and I put that one right up there with The Red Wedding. 
I quite enjoyed the episode. It had it's moments of good and bad, but best of the season. Dany going mad queen in a single episode only works if you force it. The hints were there, but the producers did a really awful job making it organic. Probably the best of the season, which isn't saying much...

Cersei was very anti-climatic. Jaime's 180 character development didn't work at all.  In a manner of speaking, he did kill her, insofar as he led her down to the collapsing catacombs.

Clegane-bowl was pure fan service. And I have no problem with that. It ended the only way that would have worked.

I think they were better off with Joffrey as King
I'm not sure if you meant this as sarcasm, but this is pretty spot on.

I think the Cersei move was pretty deliberate by the writers - piss the fans off by effectively giving none of the Starks their redeeming moment by killing her.
Starks and company won't ever even find the body. They'll go to their graves with the suspecion that she may still be alive somewhere.

My real burning questions at this point:

How will Dany die?  Will it be Arya, or Jon?  Maybe some sort of double-up where Arya has to kill Grey Worm or something so Jon can kill Dany?  Maybe Tyrion does it?

What's the deal with Sansa at this point?  I feel like she can't just chill out at Winterfell and not be integral to the ending.
They're setting it up for Arya. Not sure how exactly, but I'm not sure how she was in position to kill the night king. I like where you're going though with some coordinated strike. You did a good job predicting last week

All signs unambiguously point to Arya with the killshot. Which means that Dany will trip over her dress and fall akwardly forward, snapping her neck on a chair.+

Sansa doesn't have to do anything. She can try to stay warm in Winterfell and wait for the epilougue scenes/montage. We'll see her become Queen in the North, monarch of Riverrun and the Eirye.

From the tone of the show and the brief preview at the end, it seems like Dany would have secured a spot towards the top of Arya's list...watching the mom and little girl get roasted...so, ideally Arya will do it.  Then again, the final scene of her on the horse could be her saying F- this, I'm going back to Winterfell. 
The whole horse scene, was high school freshman english symbolism for Angle of Death. The way it was filmed is so classic (hackneyed) that it was covered in my Into to Film for non-majors class in college. I was groaning at the TV the whole time... 

Will they bow to Jon / Arya if they kill Greyworm since he is their leader?  What will they really do?  I wonder if well see some type of North versus Unsullied / Dothraki battle?
The seven kingdoms will have a lot on their hands to figure out how to deal with what remains of Dany's army. Those unsullied and dothraki won't just hop on the next boat to Essos after their queen/savior/person who freed them gets assassinated. I'm not sure how the producers will wave that one away. The North/Eyrie/Riverun armies won't be enough to stop them on an open field. And this is without the flying nuke on the battlefield.

I kind of wonder if EP 5, showing Arya's small size not very effective in an actual battle is going to make her rethink her life's purpose?
It looked that way for about 10 minutes. But that cliched white horse of death scene removed any notion of that.

I think they're so programmed to follow rank, they would just listen to Tyrion since he effectively becomes their new leader.  Maybe alluding to this when he total them to get lost before freeing Jamie and they obliged with no resistance?
Somehow I just don't think they'll care about the chain of command if Tyrion and company assassinate Dany and greyworm.

Could be a way to show everyone that Jon is really a Targaryan...psycho tries to torch him and it doesn't hurt him
This is the only way I see it "working" or Drogon refuses to breathe fire on him. Ditto for Tyrion, who is strongly implied in the books to be targaryn, but I don't think the show will explore this. FWIW fire did hurt Jon back in season 1/2.

When I saw the white horse, the first thing I thought of was the opening scene from Tombstone where Johnny Ringo is translating the biblical story, "he's quoting the bible, Revelations: Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him."

My wife was thinking more of the "riding a horse into the sunset" bit with the white horse symbolizing her as the hero.

I did read an interesting article this morning trying to explain why the last couple of seasons are different than the earlier seasons.

TL:DR version: GRRM plants seeds and just lets the story grow with the characters go where their development says they should go. The show's writers took over, had a set ending (and set number of seasons/episodes to do it) to tie up all the loose ends and reverse-engineered the last two seasons to get to the finish line as easily as possible.

https://cheezburger.com/8363269/man-gives-insightful-reasoning-why-season-8-of-game-of-thrones-feels-different-without-spoilers?fbclid=IwAR1fcMkpjSQKGdEzHMl2e9oVlWekxUHWJVTwZNgxCt81ljxy5bAleVYnLos

If GRRM was fully in charge, we'd be lucky to even be at the battle against the Night King this season.

One question that Mrs Dex and I couldn't figure out: If Cersi was in fact pregnant, why did she never look pregnant?

It was revealed halway through Season 7 that she knew. Between then and last night's episode:

• Tyrion returned to Dragonstone from his basement meeting with Jamie (about when Jamie found out)
  • Dany and her dragons have traveled north of the wall to save Jon while on a mission to get a zombie,
  • traveled back to Dragonstone via ship with Jon,
  • over to Kings Landing to show off said zombie, (end of season 7) <---Tyrion figures out she's pregnant here.
  • Jon, Dany and her armies march north from Dragonstone to Winterfell (a march that was identified as almost a month long when Robert did it in season 1)
  • Battle with the Night King
  • March the armies back to Kings Landing
This is easily three months, if not longer. At this point it comes down to how far along Cersi was when she told Jamie... 6 weeks, 2 months, 3 months?

Traveling seems to have eliminated any time requirements. Especially when it involves walking, sailing or riding via horseback.  So even though it's realistically been 3-4 months since we as an audience found out about the pregnancy and her likely being 5-6mo along, she's still not showing at all.

I actually don't understand the people who are mad that Daenerys went crazy in season 8...She burned up people every season...she's always been nuts.

Still lots of loose ends for the last episode...

What i thought would be a cool ending is someone narrating the story ending (in the future) and give everyone a 5-10 minute send off -

Like a bunch of folks sitting around a fire telling stories...

I don't know how I missed this, but did everyone else realize that Varys tried to poison Dany?

Dany gets mad at Tyrian for releasing his brother.  She sentences him to death by dragon fire.  We come to find out that Tyrian's father was correct all along.  Tyrian does not burn up in the fire.  Tyrian, being the eldest is the true king.

I wasn't that upset by Dany going crazy, either. Yeah, it's been forced, but she clearly has no one left rooting for her. Well, she has Grey Work and the unsullied, but that's about it. Also with her family history, sure, it could be predictable. But I still buy it.

Back