Game of Thrones ! (HBO Mini Series) Spoilers......

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly OT, but if you have the chance I'd hihgly recommend visiting Dubrovnik. It's where they film most of the King's Landing scene's. Beautiful place, lots to do. The old city isn't that big though, so after visiting you can't help but notice where they filmed so many of the city shots. I swear they torched, blew up, invaded the same square and alleyways about five different ways on last week's episode.
I certainly plan on visiting, my grandfather was born around there.

Oh, the other burning question - what did Tyrion have Davos do?
What if Tyrion was arranging for Davos to smuggle him away from KL after the battle? Tyrion would have to know that helping his brother escape would results in his execution by dragon fire. He could get smuggled away post battle, and Danny would just assume that he was another MIA causality of the battle?

Today's the day.  Any Predictions on how it ends?
EX2m7J3.gif

All speculation and predictions are about to be answered in 30 minutes. 😬

GOT is why i got HBO. No reason to keep it now. I like Westworld but it’s another show with a year and a half between seasons. 

Guess Bran was being honest when he said he didn’t want to be Lord of Winterfell...

So was Jon ditching the wall and becoming the king beyond the wall? Or is here really no more wall and that was just a way to keep him alive?

I’m content with the ending - kind of reminded me of the Cheers finale for some reason...

About the only part of the episode I truly hated was the pointless and inexplicable "symbolic" throne melting.  I mean, "you killed my mom and I'm so angry about it I'm going to blow fire in that general direction until I see a chair melt" was the best they could come up with?

And while Dany's death was a bit anticlimactic, it was the only way that really made sense.  She's followed by armed guards literally everywhere else she goes.  While I wouldn't have put it past the writers, I don't think we realistically could have expected another "surprise mothafucka!" from Arya flying out of nowhere, or her and Jon trying to duke it out in some epic battle.  It was befitting - the throne was, quite literally, at the tip of her fingers and taken away from her, while all of her supporters got equally shitty outcomes.  Granted, Tyrion's job was probably more wanted than not, but Jon had to go skulk off somewhere north, Grey Worm will forever be a lifeless, miserable douche, and the rest of them are all dead.

Bran being king became an "it was so obvious I'm surprised I didn't think it would happen" type outcome, but also made the most sense.  

It definitely wasn't the best/most exciting episode, but I think it was far from the disaster that everyone is claiming it to be.  I honestly really like probably the first 20-ish minutes of the show, with the really dark tone it set.

The entire season seem rushed. Like they were limited and had to wrap everything up. They could have at least gone one or two episodes beyond to give a bit more depth to some of the story lines. All in all though I don’t see how it could have ended any different. 

My biggest frustrations was timing. All of the story decisions made, would have been vastly improved if spread out over 12 weeks, giving us time to sit with it and feeling less forced. 

I agree that the timing was definitely off this season (and season 7 as well).  Dany's pivot last episode would have taken at least an entire season to build up to, not a couple of episodes.

Definitely mixed feelings about the finale. Didn't see Bran getting the throne.  Also mixed feelings about Dany's death - I knew either Jon or Arya would kill her, but still felt emotionally attached to the character after all this time (she didn't even get to sit on the throne!)  Her dragon mourning for her was really sad.  It was stupid how the dragon melted the Iron Throne but left Jon there.  Everything else that happened after that continued to be completely unbelievable - I really think Grey Worm would have  killed Jon on the spot instead of taking him prisoner.  Jon kind of sucks, so I don't really care if he got sent to the Night Watch.  Really happy to see Sansa be the QUEEN OF THE NORTH. She was probably the only other deserving ruler at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danny has kind of been a quack most of the time, her only real sacrifice was learning she could not be burned alive -

Hah, I cancelled HBO this morning!

Overall, I thought it was a decent ending. I also didn't mind the dragon burning the iron throne. I thought it didn't attack Jon because it knew he's also a Targaryen, and so wouldn't/couldn't blood of Dany, his mom.

I thought the opening scenes with Tyrion walking through King's Landing and then discovering Jamie and Cersei were very powerful and showed again that he's a very good actor.

I was happy to see Arya go west and Sansa become Queen of the North as well. And it was super cool to see how she did it. She definitely has the best character development of everyone.

Jon returning to the Nightswatch is basically like everything coming full circle for him. And I thought everyone going beyond the wall with him was more symobolic of the fact that it's safe now. No more white walkers.

Hah, I cancelled HBO this morning!

Overall, I thought it was a decent ending. I also didn't mind the dragon burning the iron throne. I thought it didn't attack Jon because it knew he's also a Targaryen, and so wouldn't/couldn't blood of Dany, his mom.

I thought the opening scenes with Tyrion walking through King's Landing and then discovering Jamie and Cersei were very powerful and showed again that he's a very good actor.

I was happy to see Arya go west and Sansa become Queen of the North as well. And it was super cool to see how she did it. She definitely has the best character development of everyone.

Jon returning to the Nightswatch is basically like everything coming full circle for him. And I thought everyone going beyond the wall with him was more symobolic of the fact that it's safe now. No more white walkers.
I was wondering if Drogon would attack Jon, and then Jon doesn't burn...but yeah, I guess they went with the symbolism instead.

I really love Sansa's character development throughout the series.  Her coronation was definitely one of my favorite parts of the episode.

Yeah, that's a good point about Jon.  I'm wondering if he'll be like Mance Rayder and become King beyond the wall...

So based on the LOTR discussion we had a while back..

Arya = Frodo

Jon  = Sam

Danny = Soron?

Bran & Sansa = Ageon

Tyrion = Gandolph

I found it hard to believe that no one had a problem with the north being independent.  Did I miss something?

I found it hard to believe that no one had a problem with the north being independent.  Did I miss something?
Right?  Wouldn't Yara and the Prince of Dorne, and basically anyone else sitting at that table, want independence as well?

They selected Bran to be king. He agreed that the North would be independent. Who is going to argue with the king?

Back