Feel good about how you did on the exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have restless sleep even though i pass. I am waiting on state board now.

I've been checking the State of Ohio Board website to make sure my License is actually there.

Crazy what that test does to you

I still have nightmares in which I wake up and it's 5:00 AM April 11, the morning of the exam. I quickly get depressed because in my dreams it was October 2014 and I was still on a high as a result of passing back in April.

I am in the Phase now where I keep dreaming about the exam and thinking about questions that I had no idea how to do and the one that I would've gotten right but ran out of time...

I really felt confident after the morning but once the afternoon kicked in, wow. I really hope that I did well enough, but I'm hoping the anxiety passes soon...

In April, I left the exam pretty convinced that I'd failed. I still went through the phases, just in a somewhat different way - where I knew I'd probably failed, but managed to convince myself over time that maybe there was a possibility I'd passed - so that was extra disappointing when it turned out that my initial prediction was correct.

This time, I feel much better about it. The morning was kinda rough and I didn't get to a handful of questions, but I feel good about the ones I was able to answer. The very first question of the afternoon was super confusing for me, so that threw me off for a little bit, but I ended up with a little extra time at the end and I feel pretty comfortable with how it went overall.

I know it sounds kinda dumb since I've now spent all the time to take the exam twice, but at this point, I'm not sure I'd try a third time if I didn't pass. That felt a lot like my best effort. I'm sure I'll change my tune by the time the exam results roll around, though. I still have several more weeks of increasing doubt to go through!

There was one question on the civil PE/water resources afternoon session that I am positive I did correctly but could not find the correlating answer in the answer choices and it's driving me crazy! The calculation involved in that particular question is one I do at work at least once a month and is very straight forward. I had tons of extra time to go back and stare at the question until time was called, this is going to haunt me for months...

There was one question on the civil PE/water resources afternoon session that I am positive I did correctly but could not find the correlating answer in the answer choices and it's driving me crazy! The calculation involved in that particular question is one I do at work at least once a month and is very straight forward. I had tons of extra time to go back and stare at the question until time was called, this is going to haunt me for months...
did you fill out one of the forms to complain about the question?

I had a similar issue on the afternoon chemical exam. I decided to count it as a good thing, in a way - I knew what I was doing well enough to pick out probable errors.

I'm going to send them a comment about mine through my NCEES account. You should do the same, if you haven't already.

snickered/Nici,

I did not know I had that recourse. I will log into my NCEES account and do that right away. Great to know that option is available! This may indeed help me sleep at night.

At least, I think that's the appropriate place to do it. I just sent a message asking if that was where I could make a comment about a possible exam error, so we'll see what they say.

Sorry to double-post, couldn't find an edit button - I just got a response that the message function in our NCEES accounts is the right place to do that. "If you have technical question issues, you may post them here."

I still have nightmares in which I wake up and it's 5:00 AM April 11, the morning of the exam. I quickly get depressed because in my dreams it was October 2014 and I was still on a high as a result of passing back in April.
haha....i still think about it all the time..but April seems like ages ago though....I got excited the Oct exam day too

It's funny I felt bad when I took the EIT...thinking I am for sure failed it but I passed. then the first time I took the PE, I have high confident that I will passed, nope..i Failed!

2nd time around, I felt bad that I am for sure failed it but I passed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how to feel about the exam. The morning seemed pretty straight forward and I finished feeling good about it. The afternoon was a different story, I took the Water/Environ depth and thought it was very difficult. I got out feeling defeated and not looking forward to the next 7 weeks or so of waiting for the results.

Just like a lot of others, I ended the morning session thinking about where to buy the stamper and left the afternoon clearing my schedule for next April.

I gave the control systems exam..such misery...the exam creators didn't even read what was on the syllabus..asked us many random questions..it sucks that the exam was of such poor quality...

As others have stated, I left the morning session on cloud 9. I truly feel that I got 100% of the questions correct (OK, maybe 97.5%). But the afternoon was much more difficult. I still feel that I gave myself enough slack from the first half to get a pass.

My strategy while taking a test has always been this. If I answer a question and feel 100% certain I got it correct, I'll place a check mark next to the question number. Otherwise I just circle it. If I have time left over I go back to my circled questions and hopefully turn those into checks.

In the last 5 minutes I'll go back and tally my score, assuming I only got the checked questions correct, to get what I feel is a worst case scenario. From my calculations, worst case scenario I feel that I got around an 80%. But I have some confidence I did better than that.

Now I'm going to feel really dumb when I come back on here in a couple months and say that I failed lol. All I can say is that if I fail, oh well. I know the areas I struggled on the second half and I know what to work on next time if necessary.

I took the Water Resources by the way.

Latest posts

Back