Feel good about how you did on the exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I can't reply to certain topics ..it says "you can't reply to this thread" any one knows why ? I have replied to the thread before
Right now the board is on limited access since the exam was just administered. The board will slowly open back up as the week progresses.

I might've passed or failed, but I'm definitely demoralized from this experience. I did well in school and studied for 3 months with no social life for this thing, and did not see most of the material that I studied for on this test. You cant study for this thing. Not to mention, I saw some material that I didn't even encounter in my ABET accredited program. And then trying to make conversation during the break with the amphetamine hyped pseudoengineers in the lobby was a bit of a downer. It bugs me that my career is influenced by one single exam. I'll take it as many times as I need to though, but it does not hold the same value as I thought it did before taking the test.

I might've passed or failed, but I'm definitely demoralized from this experience. I did well in school and studied for 3 months with no social life for this thing, and did not see most of the material that I studied for on this test. You cant study for this thing. Not to mention, I saw some material that I didn't even encounter in my ABET accredited program. And then trying to make conversation during the break with the amphetamine hyped pseudoengineers in the lobby was a bit of a downer. It bugs me that my career is influenced by one single exam. I'll take it as many times as I need to though, but it does not hold the same value as I thought it did before taking the test.
Don't get to down on yourself. It took me 4 times to finally pass it.

I can relate to this a bit. There were so many questions I did not see coming on the Env exam. Be encouraged. You may surprise yourself.

And to lighten the mood some (yes I know I've posted this before, but it really is a funny synopsis of the exam) see below. Perhaps some of you recent exam takers will get a good laugh from it. And if you're curious, this particular member did in fact end up receiving a passing score. Despite his skepticism. ;)

I've posted this before for previous exam results because it is one of the more funny synopses I've read. Still makes me laugh after reading it again. Not sure if this will help any in terms of how you think you did on the exam but it is certainly worth a good laugh. Here were the poster's thoughts about the April 2011 exam:

EE - Power. "You sunk my battleship."

Preparation Time/Materials: 250 total hours. 5 textbooks, prep coursework notebook, 2 notebooks of graduate class material, calculators, snacks, rolling suitcase.

Money: ~$1,550.

General Observations: Arrived at my site 30 minutes prior to report time. Noticed that many others had literally libraries and libraries of books. Someone had a giant wagon with bungie cords holding all of the books together. Others just had a single piece of paper. Wild. I randomly started thinking of a national geographic special with narration by Morgan Freeman on PE test taking habits. I needed that laugh to clear my head.

AM Session: Felt the AM session was great. Only ended up with 6-7 that I didn't have a single solid answer or couldn't find it in my reference. I finished slightly early and checked only some of my work.

PM Session: Total unadulterated bloodbath. Couldn't seem to concentrate enough to find the equations I needed. Calculator was spitting out answers that were out of this world. Saw stuff that I barely covered in droves. About 2-3 hours into the afternoon, my brain felt like it had been through a dishwasher and I started hopping around from question to question. Not good. I will be lucky if I got a quarter to half right. I might as well have taken another discipline in the afternoon or gone to work. A monkey may have been able to do better.

Final Thoughts: As I left the exam area, I felt numb, dumb, and a little crushed. I felt like I blew the morning session out of the water. Then the PE got off a torpedo as I was heading to collect my stamp, promotion, and better life. I'm not very good at guessing and doing the math in my head all weekend I kept envisioning a percentage score in the upper 60s with an afternoon diagnostic that simply says "monkey". 6 months of neglecting my wife and family might be for nothing in the end except doing it all over again. I know the pass rate for repeaters is low, but what is the divorce rate?

Oh well. If I recall from a coworker, last years results were released in around 45-50 days following the exam. I think he got his in late May. We shall see. I guess the ultimate decision is now do I crack open another book....or another beer?
:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I took FE right before graduation and I had only really reviewed the Econ session for it from lindenburg, passed it on first try.

Fast forward a year and a half out of school, I decided to take PE because I just felt bored, and you know the same routine of office on workdays. Don't get me wrong I do like the monies and happy to ditch student on budget life. I like my coworkers but there is this itch of I could be doing a lot more BUT studying for PE made me realize how much I don't miss student life.

I did study for PE exam but experience based questions threw me off my game .. I have spent Saturday pretty much googling the answers for the experienced based questions and now I know I have screwed up.

On the technical side/calculator questions I was able to calculate quiet a few those correctly but some I just didn't know how to get answers for. Or I thought I knew how but I couldn't find my answers.

Anyways so I knew I blew away my time but I guess I can find some condolence in the fact that my 4 years experience is not here yet. I still got a lot of hands on training experience to look forward to. Now I can't decide should I take it in October or next April? what's best?

I'm still confused on how you got approved to take the exam with only 1-1/2 years experience. I'm not sure what a PE license would really do for you with that little real world experience.

State of Illinois allows you take the exam ahead of time but you need 4 years of experience before the hand you out the license

I see, in that case you may as well attempt again in Oct if you don't pass this time around. At least this way you already have a head start from all the prep you've already done and now you have a better idea what to expect.

I just wanted to get it out of the way . Why wait when you can take the exam? I thought my calculations will carry me through and then I will pick a letter for the experience based questions I should be able to guess some of them right.. It just didn't go as I planned I managed my time poorly, I jumped from question to question and I spent too much time looking up experience based questions. I had to finish few calculator questions in last half an hour because I knew how to solve them but I waited till the end because I was too busy looking up answers for experience based in Perrys I did learn a lot of knowledge from not answering PE questions correctly ... are there any PE chemical license holders here I need advice. What do I tell my boss?

Also I used lindenburg for prep. I gave up reading it cover to cover so I just made a 3 ring binder with formulas organized by the six sections on the test . Then I did six minutes and NCEES and brushed up on stoiciometry and used my formula binder to answers those questions.

My binder did help me during the exam with few questions. Perrys with at least 2 questions . i think I used lindenburg too for 1 questions. My plant design book carried me through 3 questions. so any advice how I can do better?

Back