Failures... What was your score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am curious to know what the highest failing score is so far for the PE - Power exam.
Seconded. It was so tough by comparison to April.

I agree completely. As odd as it is, since I studied so much b/w April and October, I felt worse on the October exam than the first time around in April!
I had a similar situation happen with the chemical test. April 2013 I took it for the first time, and failed with a 49/80. Couldn't take it in Oct 2013, so took it for the second time in April 2014, felt way more prepared and ready for it, and the test was so much harder, failed with a 35/80. Hoping third time is the charm. Still waiting on results back from Oregon...

Dying to know the highest fail Civil Transpo score this time around (given that it was 56 last time!).

I'll echo the comments of some other posts about the School of PE. Their morning review was excellent and I used their review binders almost exclusively for the AM section (far more than I used the CERM). Their afternoon review was of little help during the actual exam however. I felt like I was winging it for most of the PM section. I passed, but I imagine not with flying colors. Sounds like School of PE is bolstering their PM review portion, which will be awesome for everyone down the road.

I'll echo the comments of some other posts about the School of PE. Their morning review was excellent and I used their review binders almost exclusively for the AM section (far more than I used the CERM). Their afternoon review was of little help during the actual exam however. I felt like I was winging it for most of the PM section. I passed, but I imagine not with flying colors. Sounds like School of PE is bolstering their PM review portion, which will be awesome for everyone down the road.
I passed in April and took the online course through ASCE. They had afternoon specific classes that really helped and overall a very good course for prep. It wasn't cheap, but my company paid for it. I used the binders from the class for almost everything. I hardly looked at the CERM or other references, except the OSHA manual was a must on a couple problems for Civil-Construction. Passed on the 3rd try.

Get back on that horse folks! You can do this!

I reall

I failed again as well. :bawling: And I felt so much better about it this time and had studied more.

52/100 environmental. I'm thinking of making the switch to Civil/WR. Has anybody made that switch and done better?
My adviser in college told me once to never take environmental unless you're pretty much an expert at it. He said it's a miserable exam so I took his advice and took the WR/Env exam. In my opinion you have more options with the WR/Env PE than the straight Env PE. You can work on a broader range of projects which includes the Env stuff. Hope that helps.
I really wish I had known this or I wouldn't have wasted my time and money on failing 2 exams. I took civil in college with several environmental classes. Sounds like WR/Env is the way to go.
Did you take a class to pass the exam?
Yes. I took the School of PE's prep class. Some people on this board have said they've kind of slipped behind a bit and not keeping up with the changes NCEES is making. I've heard nothing but good things about EET. Based on my experience I would definitely recommend the School of PE but the one big drawback to them is that they don't have a comprehensive PM review. It's an 8 hour review (when I took it) and you really don't even scratch the surface with that. I hear that EET has an awesome PM review and their AM isn't too shabby neither. You can sign up for either AM or PM or both from what I'm to understand. A good prep class will help you get started on the right track to passing.
SoPE posted that they have updated their review class. They said that the also increased the afternoon portion from 8 hours to 24 hours of review.
24 hours ???? I would like to attend that class just for enhancing knowledge. The PM session wasn't as good but whatever it taught gave a feel of at least what to expect.

I reall

I failed again as well. :bawling: And I felt so much better about it this time and had studied more.

52/100 environmental. I'm thinking of making the switch to Civil/WR. Has anybody made that switch and done better?
My adviser in college told me once to never take environmental unless you're pretty much an expert at it. He said it's a miserable exam so I took his advice and took the WR/Env exam. In my opinion you have more options with the WR/Env PE than the straight Env PE. You can work on a broader range of projects which includes the Env stuff. Hope that helps.
I really wish I had known this or I wouldn't have wasted my time and money on failing 2 exams. I took civil in college with several environmental classes. Sounds like WR/Env is the way to go.
Did you take a class to pass the exam?
Yes. I took the School of PE's prep class. Some people on this board have said they've kind of slipped behind a bit and not keeping up with the changes NCEES is making. I've heard nothing but good things about EET. Based on my experience I would definitely recommend the School of PE but the one big drawback to them is that they don't have a comprehensive PM review. It's an 8 hour review (when I took it) and you really don't even scratch the surface with that. I hear that EET has an awesome PM review and their AM isn't too shabby neither. You can sign up for either AM or PM or both from what I'm to understand. A good prep class will help you get started on the right track to passing.
SoPE posted that they have updated their review class. They said that the also increased the afternoon portion from 8 hours to 24 hours of review.
24 hours ???? I would like to attend that class just for enhancing knowledge. The PM session wasn't as good but whatever it taught gave a feel of at least what to expect.
I'm taking SoPE this winter. Hopefully it'll help prepare me.

Here's my input. I passed the civil construction exam first try.

I found the CERM and the "useful formulas for the HP 33s/35s" very helpful. The former for the areas not covered in the useful equations book and the latter for anything that was similar. It took some effort - a couple hours a night for several nights - to enter all of the equations, but not having to question if I made a math error entering the formulas during the exam was a great relief. I also relied on my school of PE notes. I only opened my other reference materials (codes and standards) a couple of times AFTER I had finished the exam, as I knew delving into those was going to take a bit longer.

I didn't even watch the geotechnical or structural videos from school of pe, due to time constraints. I knew that anything structural I could probably fumble through and anything geotechnical if not very similar to the useful equations I would probably just throw in the towel in - I was pretty weak in geotech in school and I definitely didn't improve over the last 7 years.

As part of my preparations I also purchased the civil construction and structural NCEES practice exams. I thought they were very much on par with the real thing, and I also had them with me in case I hit a similar enough problem. I worked both before I even started studying as a diagnostic and to help choose which depth to take. I only reworked the construction a couple of times before the exam as I didn't want to get in memorization mode. Just before the exam I went through and wrote reference locations to the CERM or useful equations books so that I could use it as a jump to where I needed to be.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you all next time.

Also, I put off taking the exam to start with - I have 7 years experience. Most recently I've been doing heavy civil and I don't think I would have passed without that experience. At the least, I would have had a much harder time to prepare.

Hopefully we can get this thread back to its intended purpose?

Fail Score? XX/80

PE Exam taken? Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.

If Civil, what PM Module? Structural, Geo, Transpo, etc.

Thanks.
^This!

For such an intelligent group of people, why is it so hard to stay on topic?!

Let's get this thread back to its intended purpose

Fail Score? XX/80

Any tips from those who passed after 2nd/3rd try how they revamped their study routine? New tactics/classes/study books? Feeling a bit demoralized but I know I have to rally back and get to studying again.

Any comments appreciated.
School of PE for WR&E - Goswami supplemented the CERM as well. I found some old Testmasters notes that were also invaluable (on a Construction PE help website - link is around somewhere in my computer if you want it).

Hopefully we can get this thread back to its intended purpose?

Fail Score? XX/80

Thanks.
^This!
For such an intelligent group of people, why is it so hard to stay on topic?!

Let's get this thread back to its intended purpose

Fail Score? XX/80

LOL. After I asked that the thread please stay on topic, it did for like the next 5 posts, and then it drifted back off topic. Doh! This is the appropriate forum for the off-topic discussion you guys are having: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showforum=22

Any tips from those who passed after 2nd/3rd try how they revamped their study routine? New tactics/classes/study books? Feeling a bit demoralized but I know I have to rally back and get to studying again.

Any comments appreciated.
School of PE for WR&E - Goswami supplemented the CERM as well. I found some old Testmasters notes that were also invaluable (on a Construction PE help website - link is around somewhere in my computer if you want it).
Would you mind sending me that link if you find it? I'm taking a break and will start a new module (Civil/WR&E) next October.

I learned one tip in my study course that I thought made the entire course payment worthwhile. I could have skipped every class, just paid for that one piece of information and been satisfied that my money was well spent. If you want to know what it is just let me know.

Helped me pass the Mechanical HVAC PE

I learned one tip in my study course that I thought made the entire course payment worthwhile. I could have skipped every class, just paid for that one piece of information and been satisfied that my money was well spent. If you want to know what it is just let me know.

Helped me pass the Mechanical HVAC PE

Um...no, not really :scratchhead: I just want to know the highest failing score - particularly for transpo given that it was 56 last time!

your disadvantage but that's your call. I saw someone post a 54 and failed for transportation this time around. Not sure if it is the high but it's the highest i saw.

your disadvantage but that's your call. I saw someone post a 54 and failed for transportation this time around. Not sure if it is the high but it's the highest i saw.

How is it my disadvantage? All I meant was please keep this thread on topic, thanks.

Vf3du6W.png

Back