Failures... What was your score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you pass or you fail, what does the number matter. Just identifying your strength/weaknesses should really be the extent of the diagnostic report they send out. Get the numbers game out of picture and study again.

They do not, and will never do that. That would be like giving the secret away. They have too much to lo$e if they do that.

How so? It could easily be determined without enough failures posting scores.

I don't understand how or why it's a big secret, or why there is "Money" in the secrecy as you seem to be implying.

Does knowing how close you failed make it easier? I failed 3 times and it sucked each and every one. Changing your approach is the best advice you will get on this board.

Worked for me.

I wish NCEES just posted the cut-off scores, it's really annoying not knowing.

I believe that knowing the cut-off scores will be more prevalent for the repeat examinees to fail the exam again. Some or most examinees will be gunning for that released cut-off scores while the scaling curve will be always different with new and old examinees taking the exams.

According to the NCEES website, 56% of PE test takers passed the October '14 exams.

11,518 test takers

6,430 passed

Just think of that statistic and remember your exam day. Chances are that somewhere between half to a third of the people in the room didn't pass their exam. If you are reading this thread - don't worry about cut scores or failing scores. Learn the material by solving problems. It will help you build confidence. Most people can pass with adequate time, effort, and understanding.

They do not, and will never do that. That would be like giving the secret away. They have too much to lo$e if they do that.
How so? It could easily be determined without enough failures posting scores.

I don't understand how or why it's a big secret, or why there is "Money" in the secrecy as you seem to be implying.

Really?

How much did you pay to take the test?

Last edited by a moderator:
11518 * $225 is around 2.6 millions

2.6 millions twice a year is something close to 5.2 millions.

That is just the PE test. Add the FE and other tests to the mix.

But you are right. It is not about money...or is it?

I'm not saying there isn't big money involved with the test.

I'm asking why the cut score couldn't be shared, and how the cut-score secrecy is involved with the big money.

My only thought would be that cut-scores changing would have some calling conspiracy to NCEES when they miss by 1 point on varying scales, or something similar.

I believe that knowing the cut-off scores will be more prevalent for the repeat examinees to fail the exam again. Some or most examinees will be gunning for that released cut-off scores while the scaling curve will be always different with new and old examinees taking the exams.

I've never understood the notion that someone would spend months studying preparing to get 56 (give or take) questions correct. I too agree that NCEES shouldn't share the passing score, but some of the reasons I hear on here are ridiculous. My reason is that since the score changes, they'd get bombarded with complaints after every exam about why the score was 56 last year and it's 55 this year. However I don't think it would hurt examinees to know the passing score, but unless you know the score beforehand (which is impossible because they set it based on results), then knowing it after the fact is pointless.

I've never understood the notion that someone would spend months studying preparing to get 56 (give or take) questions correct. I too agree that NCEES shouldn't share the passing score, but some of the reasons I hear on here are ridiculous. My reason is that since the score changes, they'd get bombarded with complaints after every exam about why the score was 56 last year and it's 55 this year. However I don't think it would hurt examinees to know the passing score, but unless you know the score beforehand (which is impossible because they set it based on results), then knowing it after the fact is pointless.
Wow! A voice of reason in the darkness! A lot of good points here., I think.

I couldn't care less how NCEES comes up with the cut score. That's top secret and I understand that.

I passed the exam and now have my PE, so it's more out of curiosity for me more than anything. If the cut score was low, then it would simply confirm how I felt that the exam was very challenging.

Last April, there were so many replies that it was easy to determine the cut score, this October, there are hardly any replies....

Bump for more results!

$5 million in today's standard is not much considering they need to pay salaries lobbyists and those proctors!

Except, getting the bare minimum passing result means the least amount of time spent studying. This is *technically* the most efficient way to pass the exam.

Back