Failures... What was your score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I failed Geo in CA (41/80). Will get back on it for April. I took Sch of PE class. Morning prep was very good, but afternoon lacking.

Failed...54/80...control systems...

This is a good score. I know you disagree, but it does look like the cut score was high this year. When they release the pass% we can have a better understanding. I had failed last time also.

You will be in good shape next year.
This doesn't seem to be as big of a disaster as you were thinking originally.

Any tips from those who passed after 2nd/3rd try how they revamped their study routine? New tactics/classes/study books? Feeling a bit demoralized but I know I have to rally back and get to studying again.

Any comments appreciated.

I reall

I failed again as well. :bawling: And I felt so much better about it this time and had studied more.

52/100 environmental. I'm thinking of making the switch to Civil/WR. Has anybody made that switch and done better?
My adviser in college told me once to never take environmental unless you're pretty much an expert at it. He said it's a miserable exam so I took his advice and took the WR/Env exam. In my opinion you have more options with the WR/Env PE than the straight Env PE. You can work on a broader range of projects which includes the Env stuff. Hope that helps.
I really wish I had known this or I wouldn't have wasted my time and money on failing 2 exams. I took civil in college with several environmental classes. Sounds like WR/Env is the way to go.
Did you take a class to pass the exam?
Yes. I took the School of PE's prep class. Some people on this board have said they've kind of slipped behind a bit and not keeping up with the changes NCEES is making. I've heard nothing but good things about EET. Based on my experience I would definitely recommend the School of PE but the one big drawback to them is that they don't have a comprehensive PM review. It's an 8 hour review (when I took it) and you really don't even scratch the surface with that. I hear that EET has an awesome PM review and their AM isn't too shabby neither. You can sign up for either AM or PM or both from what I'm to understand. A good prep class will help you get started on the right track to passing.
SoPE posted that they have updated their review class. They said that the also increased the afternoon portion from 8 hours to 24 hours of review.
I passed this October exam and I think School of PE was really helpful for the AM portion. I took Civil/Structural and used basically only my notes from that class for the morning session and came out of it feeling as if I got at least 36/40 right. As for the afternoon, it was a lot tougher and I did not use any of my notes from that class. Hopefully, upping the review hours from 8 to 24 will help a lot.

I used School of PE to pass both FE and PE this year and found them to be pretty good. Agreed that if School of PE has a weakness, it was afternoon depth review. For me, my depth was Thermo and Fluids. I just did some extra studying on those outside what they provided and it got me through.

Just my $.02 for anyone looking for a review course.

Just some clarification for newbs. not many states actually provide the real scores anymore. These values are coming from the diagnostic reports which let you know how you did in comparison to others. I think this feature does a great disservice to test takers who try to play numbers games and don't study near enough the next time.
I thought all states gave you # correct out of total in each category?!
NCEES provides that as part of the diagnostic but it has nothing to do with what your score was or how close to the cut score or passing score really is. people infer and try to find others with the highest number and still fail. An exercise in futility.
What do you mean it has nothing to do with what your score was? It gives you the number of correct answers right on the diagnostic! We know that the cut score is always around 70%, or 56/80, plus/minus a few questions.

^ negative red leader. It's not a percentage at all. It's a raw score derived by NCEES. To quote another member on this board:

texas fail 53/80 - 66% (petroleum)
As others have said above, if Texas said your score was 66, that doesn't mean 66% (53/80). they normalize the scores with 70 being passing - not 70%. So if the passing score for petroleum was 50/80, they set that equal to 70 and scale the reported scores from there. When you get your diagnostic you'll know how many you got right.

^ negative red leader. It's not a percentage at all. It's a raw score derived by NCEES. To quote another member on this board:

texas fail 53/80 - 66% (petroleum)
As others have said above, if Texas said your score was 66, that doesn't mean 66% (53/80). they normalize the scores with 70 being passing - not 70%. So if the passing score for petroleum was 50/80, they set that equal to 70 and scale the reported scores from there. When you get your diagnostic you'll know how many you got right.
Woah - I'm not talking about the Texas % results for passing. I'm talking about failure diagnostics where they give you the exact number of questions correct!!

Hopefully we can get this thread back to its intended purpose?

Fail Score? XX/80
PE Exam taken? Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.
If Civil, what PM Module? Structural, Geo, Transpo, etc.

Thanks.

Back