Failed Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were petty and still in undergrad, I would have said "Something redundant  :B "

Good thing I'm not.
Good thing.  I like the passive aggressive, "I'm cooler than you", approach you have going much better.

Oh my....I read the earlier sentence "I already ordered the practice exam" and began to feel sick and nauseated....

Um...which practice exam was that !!!!

It is such discouragement to not pass, again....not to mention $$$$

The 'good' news is that EET offers a re-do at no cost...

Now, how to keep positive and motivated and positive....

The HUGE gift is this Forum and the consistent, sincere, honest dedication of everyone who keeps showing up to help and encourage and support and share your knowledge and experience and shenanigans....Thank You Engineer Boards Members, who have passed this bitch and live to talk about it !!!!! 

OK, good night.  Be seeing you around.

NCEES has a practice test, you can find it on their website. I think it is about the best practice test you can find.
I would consider using the NCEES practice exams with caution and make sure it's understood that the intent of the practice exam provided by NCEES is to simulate types of problems, but not assess your mastery of the content on the exam. As has been discussed in other threads, the overall layout and structure of the problems is very similar to the actual exam but the set of problems and content in the practice exams may not be the most representative of the problems you'll see on the actual exam.

I would consider using the NCEES practice exams with caution and make sure it's understood that the intent of the practice exam provided by NCEES is to simulate types of problems, but not assess your mastery of the content on the exam. As has been discussed in other threads, the overall layout and structure of the problems is very similar to the actual exam but the set of problems and content in the practice exams may not be the most representative of the problems you'll see on the actual exam.
Ditto.

In addition, they seem to like to alternate the topics they lean on more for the morning. You'll do better if the lean is more towards their field but of course that can't be predicted. I've heard that morning was construction-heavy one cycle. Another, it was waters/environmental. This as far back as when they switched to multiple choice. This past April, it was geotech heavy. I looked around and thought of my friends taking it as soon as I got to the 4th question because I knew the cards were stacked against them but that worked out in my favor. With that, you have to maximize your morning chances and not just hope for your afternoon specific to carry you. The NCEES practices I got my hands on were really good at segregating material according to the NCEES breakdown (i.e., 8 clean water questions, 8 clean construction questions etc...). The reality of the majority of the questions, from one category or another, is that they all had a geotech undertone (or maybe more like an overtone?). If you didn't know the geotech, you had a good chance of falling for one of the two answers that looked right. I found that 2 answers were easily eliminated but the two remaining really took some thinking. If you didn't read it close enough, they both sounded right.

So yeah... mix your practice sources.

Ditto.

In addition, they seem to like to alternate the topics they lean on more for the morning. You'll do better if the lean is more towards their field but of course that can't be predicted. I've heard that morning was construction-heavy one cycle. Another, it was waters/environmental. This as far back as when they switched to multiple choice. This past April, it was geotech heavy. I looked around and thought of my friends taking it as soon as I got to the 4th question because I knew the cards were stacked against them but that worked out in my favor. With that, you have to maximize your morning chances and not just hope for your afternoon specific to carry you. The NCEES practices I got my hands on were really good at segregating material according to the NCEES breakdown (i.e., 8 clean water questions, 8 clean construction questions etc...). The reality of the majority of the questions, from one category or another, is that they all had a geotech undertone (or maybe more like an overtone?). If you didn't know the geotech, you had a good chance of falling for one of the two answers that looked right. I found that 2 answers were easily eliminated but the two remaining really took some thinking. If you didn't read it close enough, they both sounded right.

So yeah... mix your practice sources.
great advice. i learned this the hard way. and that being, taking it 4 times. 

I guess I disagree there.  I do think the structure and layout is similar, but I also thought the NCEES exams were pretty representative of question difficulty as well.  The NCEES practice exams to my understanding are just recycled old exam questions.  No they aren't exactly whats on the test for obvious reasons, and there will always be some content curve balls, but at least of the exams I purchased for the PE and SE, the NCEES ones were far more representative of what was on the test than others (at least when compared to PPI specifically).  But there may be other references out there who do a good job, not sure, I can just speak to PPI vs NCEES I guess.  And in that instance in terms of assessing actual exam type material, the NCEES exams blow PPI out of the water.  PPI's were far more difficult (likely intentional) but often the content seemed pretty far flung... and at least on the exams I took, that ended up being true.  

I guess I disagree there.  I do think the structure and layout is similar, but I also thought the NCEES exams were pretty representative of question difficulty as well.  The NCEES practice exams to my understanding are just recycled old exam questions.  No they aren't exactly whats on the test for obvious reasons, and there will always be some content curve balls, but at least of the exams I purchased for the PE and SE, the NCEES ones were far more representative of what was on the test than others (at least when compared to PPI specifically).  But there may be other references out there who do a good job, not sure, I can just speak to PPI vs NCEES I guess.  And in that instance in terms of assessing actual exam type material, the NCEES exams blow PPI out of the water.  PPI's were far more difficult (likely intentional) but often the content seemed pretty far flung... and at least on the exams I took, that ended up being true.  
I wouldn't disagree with anything you posted at all and actually I used PPI Exam Cafe (assuming that's what you're referring to). However, my point was that in taking one of the NCEES practice exam, or any other single practice exam, you may find that a small percentage of the content in the problems on the practice exam will show up on the actual exam. I think some people, including a poster in another thread, assumed that by taking one of the NCEES practice exam, it alone would provide them with an accurate representation of the problems on the actual exam and you could use your performance on the practice exam to predict your performance on the actual exam. I think the best way to prepare and to get a more accurate representation of problems on the actual exam is to do a lot of different practice problems from multiple sources.

I agree with the above. In my case, interestingly enough, the problems in the TF practice exam were harder for me than the ones on the exam I took.  It was a nice surprise but I still did a crap ton of other problems to make sure I was comfortable with as much of the material as possible. 

Seems like the passing scores for Structural is 53. What about Transportation and Water Resources?
Ugh that makes me extra sad considering I got 52!!! Not that it makes a difference. Time to hit the books!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back